PDA

View Full Version : MaxTrax Mounting Straps???

10G
25th November 2019, 09:49 AM
Wondering if anyone has used the Maxtrax mounting straps that let you strapp maxtrax onto your rear mounted spare wheel???

https://www.maxtrax.com.au/product/maxtrax-rear-wheel-harness/

Are they any good, would you buy them again???

PeeBee
25th November 2019, 10:15 AM
With that amount of money hanging off 4 elastic clips, I think I would rather them on the roof and strapped down. I have 4 of them and would not mount on the spare wheel, simply as I would be afraid they drop off and I would not know. But saying that it is their mounting system - would be interesting to find out what they would say if you made a claim for lost maxtrax due to failure of their strap.

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2019, 10:59 AM
I use Electrical Zip ties and tie it to the roof rack. Secure and a pair of side cutters have them off the roof in seconds. Not really an issue, normally you have plenty of time to sort out your recovery set up so quick access is not really an issue. Quick access to a Shovel though is a No Brainer yet people use those roof rack mounts that require you to get a shifter out to unbolt the shovel. Makes no sense to be at all. Plenty of guys will struggle way rather than grabbing a shovel because it is bolted up. I can get my shovel working in 10 seconds.

10G
25th November 2019, 12:15 PM
Yep, zip ties are a good idea. Decided against the spare wheel mount as it'd be too much for the rear door hinges I reckon.

May look at making a mezanine level for my roof rack, looked into this in the past. High enough to put 2 maxtrax into it and more stuff on top.

I made some maxtrax holders, simply a bit of pipe welded to some flat x 2. The flat bolts to the rack and one of the bits of pipe has a hole in it that a padlock goes through.

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2019, 02:26 PM
Yep, zip ties are a good idea. Decided against the spare wheel mount as it'd be too much for the rear door hinges I reckon.

May look at making a mezanine level for my roof rack, looked into this in the past. High enough to put 2 maxtrax into it and more stuff on top.

I made some maxtrax holders, simply a bit of pipe welded to some flat x 2. The flat bolts to the rack and one of the bits of pipe has a hole in it that a padlock goes through.

If there is enough room under the rack for 1 max trax thickness then just tie them inverted under the rack with zip ties and forget about them. One down each side so you can still reach to cut the zip ties under them. They are not going anywhere.

MB
25th November 2019, 07:43 PM
Met a great old bush bloke mentor last Christmas, heaps of shell grit/sand/desert experience too found after picking his brain.
Turned out that on our little convoy way to the 3hr beach journey up to the mouth of the Mighty Murray River his basic canvas sheet wrap package on his roof rack was actually for UV ‘Trax’ protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10G
26th November 2019, 08:36 AM
I would have reckoned that all these 'boards would be UV resistant/tolerant. It can't hurt though to cover 'em up I guess.

I contacted a bloke on FB about these straps. He used them on his. ahem, Cruiser. Said they worked ok but were a reeal PITA.

mudski
26th November 2019, 04:04 PM
I just use a couple of occy straps on the roof rack. So simple...

Brissieboy
27th November 2019, 07:41 AM
I just use a couple of occy straps on the roof rack. So simple...

I think you might find the boys in blue or your state transport authority might not like any load 'secured' with occy straps. They can issue 'insecure load' infringement notices for this.
Plenty do it, but that does not make it legal.

mudski
27th November 2019, 07:47 AM
I think you might find the boys in blue or your state transport authority might not like any load 'secured' with occy straps. They can issue 'insecure load' infringement notices for this.
Plenty do it, but that does not make it legal.

How are they not secured? They are held down tight, the straps are not worn or freyed in any way. Furry muff if they were in not good shape...If not occy's, a could of small ratchet tie downs then. Probably just as easy as occy's.

mudski
27th November 2019, 07:48 AM

Typical Yota drivers. They need 8 max trax. Lol.

Brissieboy
27th November 2019, 04:03 PM
How are they not secured? They are held down tight, the straps are not worn or freyed in any way. Furry muff if they were in not good shape...If not occy's, a could of small ratchet tie downs then. Probably just as easy as occy's.

They are elastic so do not hold the load firmly - think 100+kph wind. And these days if it does not carry a load rating it is not supposed to be used to restrain a load - even that good old Telstra rope is a no-no. This is primarily aimed at heavy vehicles but the same applies to all vehicles.
And yet those elastic netting ute tray load covers are considered OK - go figure.
And it also depends on the intercepting officer and what sort of day he/she is having. If they want to get you, they will find a way.

rusty_nail
27th November 2019, 04:11 PM
They are elastic so do not hold the load firmly - think 100+kph wind. And these days if it does not carry a load rating it is not supposed to be used to restrain a load - even that good old Telstra rope is a no-no. This is primarily aimed at heavy vehicles but the same applies to all vehicles.
And yet those elastic netting ute tray load covers are considered OK - go figure.
And it also depends on the intercepting officer and what sort of day he/she is having. If they want to get you, they will find a way.It's probably very different in Qld mate. When I moved from NSW to VIC, I was extremely surprised at how lax load covering, and load restraints are policed down here, not complaining because it's much easier but I've grown up driving round Sydney expecting to fined if you have a secured load and uncovered. Sounds like Qld is more like NSW

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10G
27th November 2019, 04:34 PM
And it also depends on the intercepting officer and what sort of day he/she is having. If they want to get you, they will find a way.

And that's why you should never stop for 'em.

MB
27th November 2019, 06:13 PM
Personally haven’t since and will never use them old school type occy straps ever again.
Younger try hard surfing days down Torquay way a good mate spearheaded the poor ladies windscreen behind us @100kmph.
The front occy’s knot simply let go and flipped backwards leaving a say 300mmX50mm letterbox opening in her passenger side windscreen.
Fair to say we were all left shitscared after that incident and thankfully she didn’t have a front seat passenger at the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk