PDA

View Full Version : 2012 GU Harsh Factory Suspension

pspeirs
20th November 2019, 08:35 PM
Hey All,

I'd been assuming since I picked my 2012 up a few months back that the suspension had been upgraded to something a lot heavier for towing as the previous owner had fitted electric brake controller and the ride is very harsh. I bought a 2000 GU new and I'm positive the ride was quite a bit smoother back then. After dropping in at my mechanic mate and checking it out, it appears to be factory springs and shocks.

So, is anyone aware of this paticular year model coming out with stiff suspension? I'm open to suggestions on alternates in terms of shocks but not planning to change the standard height as I've not needed to years ago and my driving habits are somewhat tamed compared to the old days. I'm basically after a smoother ride without compromising handling which is pretty damn good at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul

MudRunnerTD
20th November 2019, 09:12 PM
Buy standard height Old Man Emu . Worth every cent.

jack
20th November 2019, 09:28 PM
Hey All,

I'd been assuming since I picked my 2012 up a few months back that the suspension had been upgraded to something a lot heavier for towing as the previous owner had fitted electric brake controller and the ride is very harsh. I bought a 2000 GU new and I'm positive the ride was quite a bit smoother back then. After dropping in at my mechanic mate and checking it out, it appears to be factory springs and shocks.

So, is anyone aware of this paticular year model coming out with stiff suspension? I'm open to suggestions on alternates in terms of shocks but not planning to change the standard height as I've not needed to years ago and my driving habits are somewhat tamed compared to the old days. I'm basically after a smoother ride without compromising handling which is pretty damn good at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul

I’m pretty sure suspension was standard in all those models, I replaced mine with a lift kit after 1000km. Only got rid of the old springs last year, check around there would be plenty of near new ones that people have laying around.

pspeirs
21st November 2019, 09:33 AM
Yeah, was wondering if anyone was aware of the shocks being a little harder around that year model or not. Having some issues convincing the finance department to agree to the release of funds though :-) Have been recommended the KYB Scorched Fours shocks by the guys at King springs, any experience with those.

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2019, 04:33 PM
Yeah, was wondering if anyone was aware of the shocks being a little harder around that year model or not. Having some issues convincing the finance department to agree to the release of funds though :-) Have been recommended the KYB Scorched Fours shocks by the guys at King springs, any experience with those.

Never heard of them to be honest. The Shocks make a Big difference here. Honestly as a No Brainer i would be going with Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks in standard height. Give ARB a call and ask for a price. if there is only a couple of $100 in it then its a No Brainer. the rest of the World has been chasing OME for years mate. Reliable and well built.

Maxhead
21st November 2019, 05:13 PM
I had a 2012 gu8 ST from new and original suspension was soft and comfortable. Good all around.
I set it up for towing and had 300kg rear springs and medium fronts with bullbar and winch. Tjm gold shocks all around.
Was horrible to drive without the caravan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pspeirs
21st November 2019, 06:31 PM
Will give me something to think about, was never that keen on ome from years back, but that was leaf all round. Might revisit

pspeirs
24th November 2019, 07:49 AM
Seems none of the guys working at the local OME stockists are actually using their product, apart from one guy with springs [emoji23]

Hodge
24th November 2019, 07:59 AM
I've never had any other suspension on all my 4x4's. So can't comment on others.
But I've found OME to be great.
Not so long ago I took a ride in a similar car to mine which had the BP OME shocks and it blew my mind away how smooth the ride was...

pspeirs
24th November 2019, 08:01 AM
That’s the key, it would be good to find a few different vehicles in the area and catch a ride, might work on that before deciding

Hodge
24th November 2019, 08:23 AM
That’s the key, it would be good to find a few different vehicles in the area and catch a ride, might work on that before deciding

Yeah that would be ideal, to try several different already installed setups to see how they feel and handle. But most of the time it's just a word of mouth recommendations, and the only time time you see the product is when its already fitted up to your car... and when it hits your wallet lol.

Bundy1
2nd December 2019, 08:44 PM
Efs coils and bilsten shocks are a very smooth ride...

Bundy1
2nd December 2019, 08:47 PM
Efs coils and bilsten shocks are a very smooth ride...if my coil cab ute is smooth with this setup a wagon would be even better...