PDA

View Full Version : GU6 alignment issue

Gert B Frobe
18th June 2011, 08:32 PM
After extensive searching (maybe im using the wrong tags), has anyone out there come up with a solution to remedy the pull to the left on GU wagons. (sorry to ute owners).

I had it in for an alignment this morning, and even though it is better it is still noticeable and the wheel is now off centre also (which the fitter advised was due to lack of adjustment available with factory components). I have been led to believe this is a generic Patrol issue and the guy said he sees them all the time.

Is there a cheaper fix than replacing draglinks, tie rods and panhards?

By the way, the tyres have adequate pressure but are still wearing only on the outside 40mm. It has also never hit anything hard enough to knock any components out of alignment. Every thing is bog stock so starting with a clean slate so to speak.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

GUtsy ute
18th June 2011, 08:44 PM
Hi, I know you said it is stock, but does it have a lift at all?
Even a two inch lift can affect tyre wear.
Go to a good alignment shop and have them do a castor sweep on the front end.
This will tell you if you need castor correction bushes fitted to the front radius arms.
I have had this done to my two Patrols so far and the difference is very noticable.
Even a sagged suspension wil affect tyre wear in the same manner.
Well worth doing IMHO.

Cheers

TuffTD42
18th June 2011, 08:56 PM
The pulling to the left is from positive camber on the pass front tyre. Usually about .5 deg. This is built in from factory & is for jap roads not aussie one's. You can buy a offset kingpin to rectify this. I got one but been to lazy to fit again. I tried once but had shim issues. I got 1 1deg offset which would give me .5 deg neg camber to suit aussie rd's. The following link will point you in the right direction.

http://www.pro-axle.com.au/

cheers Jono.

YNOT
18th June 2011, 08:57 PM
Have you tried swapping the front tyres left to right?
Assuming the tyres are not causing the pull to left the problem will be castor as Gav said above. Cars will always pull to the side with the least castor so you need to have more castor on the left to compensate for our roads being camberd to the left. The only way to alter the castor on one side only (or create more stagger in the castor angles) on a Patrol is to fit offset king pin bearings.
You can replace drag links, tie rods and panhards if you want but it won't fix your problem.

Tony

Gert B Frobe
18th June 2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys yeah no lift at all so from what you all are saying it is an inbuilt issue.

I always thought that camber had more to do with tyre positioning and castor is to do with diff positioning? But feel free to correct. I have come to this forum to learn as much as possible and hopefully share some of my knowledge also.

YNOT, the wear really started to happen after the pulling issue began but has only become really noticeable recently.

The tyres have been rotated front to back on both sides now so will be able to monitor it more closely now i am aware of the issue.

Will the pins sort out the steering wheel being slightly off centre also?

Gert B Frobe
18th June 2011, 09:48 PM
Hi, I know you said it is stock, but does it have a lift at all?
Even a two inch lift can affect tyre wear.
Go to a good alignment shop and have them do a castor sweep on the front end.
This will tell you if you need castor correction bushes fitted to the front radius arms.
I have had this done to my two Patrols so far and the difference is very noticable.
Even a sagged suspension wil affect tyre wear in the same manner.
Well worth doing IMHO.

Cheers

I will do the castor correction when i fit the lift a bit later. For know i am just trying to get the alignment sorted before i start messing around with suspension and steering geometry, so i can get even wear on all tyres.

YNOT
18th June 2011, 09:52 PM
Castor is what gives your steering self centering, it's the angle between vertical and a line drawn through the centre of the kingpin bearings looking from the side of the car. (second pic)

Camber is the angle of the wheel looking from the front. (first pic)

Tyre wear will be caused by either incorrect camber or toe in.

Tony

AB
18th June 2011, 09:58 PM
Good little diagrams there Tony!

Gert B Frobe
18th June 2011, 10:24 PM
Cheers Tony,

After looking at your pics and the wear i am now leaning heavily towards the issue being camber (positive in my case) due to the wear being on the outer edge only. Now just waiting for a reply from pro axle, thanks to Jono for the link and will see who has the better solution - them or Snake racing. Snake racing king pins are $250 if anyone was wondering without going to their site.

YNOT
18th June 2011, 10:33 PM
Outer edge tyre wear can also be caused by excessive toe in.

Tony

Woof
19th June 2011, 02:36 PM
I had the same issue with my old 2007 GU and as Tony said I swapped the front wheels around and the problem was fixed, don't ask me how or why but it worked so I was happy.

TuffTD42
19th June 2011, 04:11 PM
Cheers Tony,

After looking at your pics and the wear i am now leaning heavily towards the issue being camber (positive in my case) due to the wear being on the outer edge only. Now just waiting for a reply from pro axle, thanks to Jono for the link and will see who has the better solution - them or Snake racing. Snake racing king pins are $250 if anyone was wondering without going to their site.

I paid $200 for the pro axle offset king pin.

Gert B Frobe
23rd June 2011, 03:04 PM
Ive done the whole swap wheels, alignment everything that has been suggested but stil no joy. Off to have the alignment checked and then order the appropriate king pin from pro axle.