PDA

View Full Version : So I got Pulled over tonight....

Nissan Kid
18th June 2011, 01:51 AM
Well as the title says, the local Sarge pulled me up tonight......Breatho ect the usual crap.

Then he started going on and on about my licence being from SA. He said that i had 30 days to change it over to an VIC licence or he would issue me with a penalty notice.

As i interpreted this: (Taken from Vic roads web site)

If your time in Victoria is interrupted whereby you return interstate or to NZ and take up residency for a period of time, the three month period begins afresh from the date you take up residency again in Victoria.

It meant that i would be able to keep my SA licence as long as i returned home every three months, Which i do.....At least once per month!!

So should i take this to him and say it or what should i do?

Cheers for any light you can share :D

Clunk
18th June 2011, 01:59 AM
does it state how long that period of time being spent interstate should be? Is there a minimum duration?

Bigrig
18th June 2011, 02:00 AM
Hard part is defining "residency" ... I know what it means here and for international law, but state based legislation has me stumped these days ...

That said, if your "primary" residence is listed as SA - that being, you're place of abode where you have a lease, mortgage, and/or primary place if residence is SA, them tell them to bash it!!!! Simple as that .. you can work and/or travel to and in whatever state you want but your primary place of abode is where your taxes, legislation, etc apply ...

Check with your local member - they'll tell you quick smart as they want you in their shire for obvious reasons ...

Bob
18th June 2011, 08:37 AM
I think the defination of Residency is paramount here and I dont think a weekend visit would constitute Residency.
Due to the fact that you are from a small country town the Policeman will know that you work and reside there and I would not upset him.
Transfer your Licence is my reconmendation to avoid any hassles

04OFF
18th June 2011, 08:49 AM
Nissan Kid, is your car still registered in SA or now on VIC rego ?

patch697
18th June 2011, 08:55 AM
G/day Matt. long time no see mate.

So apart from the above???? Hows things & hows that tough Rig of yours going?

As for your Q: I have to agree with Bob mate. I know all about country cops & there boardom & given you do work & reside in Vic now most of the time I think he could get you on it & make it stick.

From memory it costs nothing to change it over & you can always change it back. but if your going to make a stand on the issue then follow Bigrigs advice & know all your rights.

Personally I agree with you & think the cops just being a P%&$K but I too live with country cops & know what there like if you get them off side.

Best of luck with it Matt & I hope all is well with you.

Best Regards
Paul

DX grunt
18th June 2011, 09:02 AM
Matt,

If you're unsure, check with VicRoads/TAC. From what you said, going home once a month, IMO, is not taking up residency, it's going home to SA for the weekend and returning to your residency in Vic.

How long are you in Vic for?

Unfortunately, at the moment, most states have different rules. In WA, you have 3 months 'grace' to change over, but as soon as you make a decision and/or take up residency, you must change over asap. This must be done even before the 3 months grace period has expired.

Rossco

Edit: If they make you change your vehicle rego to Vic plates, make sure you contact South OZ and ask them what the procedure is to 'hold' onto your number plates. You should do this WELL BEFORE you have to surrender them - so that everything runs smoothly and you get them back when you want.

Maxhead
18th June 2011, 09:10 AM
Hey Matt, I would have to agree with Paul and Bob.
Go and get your lenience changed. Bad idea getting off on the wrong foot in a new town.

As much as it would be nice to prove him wrong, you don't want to be pulled over every 5 minuted and get your truck defected for any small thing(and trust me, they will)

Nissan Kid
18th June 2011, 09:39 AM
Thank you all for your advice!! Cheers!! Well I will have to have a good think about it then, I was also going to ring vice ads and ask them about it.

My only issue with chaining my licence over is I will be back on Vic P1's which are gay as! And on my SA licence I will have my full licence at the end of this year when I turn 19 :(

Thanks again ;)

Sir Roofy
18th June 2011, 09:52 AM
sorry mate but if you dont change over ,as stated buy every body else
you are going to create a bear bug you can live without
so its a red P plate so what you still have a licence
you wont beat it after 3months your supose to change it over
w/ends home wont do it

AB
18th June 2011, 10:09 AM
It's a pain Matt but I agree too. If you piss the local small town copper off he might take it personally and start to drill you with everythink he can find...

Lifts, HID's, tyres and all the other little goodies on your rig...

It's a pain but definatly keep on his good side mate.

Clunk
18th June 2011, 10:10 AM
What are the laws concerning private plates in respect to the above. Could get private ones

1peter
18th June 2011, 10:24 AM
You could politely ask the Sarge if he could get a real job where he doesn't have to hassle people who aren't criminals ?? You could also point out that he would then fit in better with the humans which would benefit him by improving his social life. He might even end up with a friend ????

growler2058
18th June 2011, 10:40 AM
You could politely ask the Sarge if he could get a real job where he doesn't have to hassle people who aren't criminals ?? You could also point out that he would then fit in better with the humans which would benefit him by improving his social life. He might even end up with a friend ????

Thats the crack!! HAHAHAhahhahaha

Silver
18th June 2011, 10:58 AM
why don't you make an appointment, spell out the facts and ask his advice?

It may be that he agrees that you should keep your SA license and rego - I don't know what your connection is with either State, but noticed that you called SA home.

Woof
18th June 2011, 06:05 PM
It's a pain Matt but I agree too. If you piss the local small town copper off he might take it personally and start to drill you with everythink he can find...

Lifts, HID's, tyres and all the other little goodies on your rig...

It's a pain but definatly keep on his good side mate.

Just what I was going to suggest there AB, just do as he asked and then let him know that you have done so......whatever you do don't rock the boat.

TheFlyingBadger
18th June 2011, 08:45 PM
Just what I was going to suggest there AB, just do as he asked and then let him know that you have done so......whatever you do don't rock the boat.

because we know what #&$holes some of these small town coppers can be :D

Clunk
18th June 2011, 08:48 PM
because we know what #&$holes some of these small town coppers can be :D

and so say all of us!!!!!!! lol

Woof
18th June 2011, 09:53 PM
Not all of them, some are absolutely bloody great blokes:bigthumbup:

Clunk
18th June 2011, 09:55 PM

you must have been dreaming or something mate hahahahahahaha

TheFlyingBadger
18th June 2011, 09:59 PM

:bananarock:

the evil twin
19th June 2011, 01:14 AM
Well, I for one have never had a problem with a Copper that wasn't of my own making. Once the penny dropped that it was me pretty much acting the Wanker that was drawing the Crabs I haven't had an issue since.

However I am biased as on occasion I go 'wheeling with some, another one taught me pretty much every thing I know about Quads and how not to kill myself on one and I regularly do training courses with others.

Being ex-military I had to move around a lot over the years and personally I don't see any hassle in having 'legal' rego in the State of residence. It pretty much only reflects the cost of Insurance etc in most States and if your 'living' there than I see User Pays as a fair go.

Drivers Licence I see in a much stronger light. It is a highly weighted legal proof of who you are. If it isn't current then you are essentially supplying whomsoever with a false address. Bad juju all round really and all it takes is a visit to DOT Office. Doesn't even cost any money in some States. They just issue you a current Licence for the remaining period of the old one with your 'real' address on it.

Just my opinion...

Silver
19th June 2011, 01:28 AM

yeah well. did the cop ping him, or give him some time?????

Silver
19th June 2011, 01:32 AM
You could politely ask the Sarge if he could get a real job where he doesn't have to hassle people who aren't criminals ?? You could also point out that he would then fit in ter with the humans which would benefit him by improving his social life. He might even end up with a friend ????

I've deleted two responses to your post Peter, I'll have another go when I have a few less under the belt. Lets just say you bike and my patrol may have exceeded the speed limit once or twice :-) and the copper gave him some time to get his sh!!!t in order.

patch697
19th June 2011, 01:48 AM

Agreed Doggy I have met & worked with some brilliant Cops who also turned out to be Brilliant blokes but that being said, I've come across quite a few with big big chips on there shoulders so I tend to take them as I find them.

Silver
20th June 2011, 09:46 PM

The copper didn't issue a ticket on the spot, he gave 30 days for Matt to get this sorted.......

Doesn't seem too harsh to me.

Warnie
20th June 2011, 10:47 PM
I reckon wing it Matt, if you only have to wait until the end of the year for your opens run the gauntlet I say. Hell I still haven't changed my Victorian License over after moving to QLD over 4 years ago. lol

Bob
21st June 2011, 07:22 AM
I reckon wing it Matt, if you only have to wait until the end of the year for your opens run the gauntlet I say. Hell I still haven't changed my Victorian License over after moving to QLD over 4 years ago. lol

The trouble is Warnie Matt is in a small Country town and the Copper would see him nearly every day so he is going to be caught

Bigrig
21st June 2011, 07:33 AM

Bet they know about it now though ... lol

Warnie
21st June 2011, 08:53 AM
Bet they know about it now though ... lol

Yeah they will now, oh well I will be in Victoria in a week anyways :) I should change it I have just been lazy

Warnie
21st June 2011, 09:00 AM
The trouble is Warnie Matt is in a small Country town and the Copper would see him nearly every day so he is going to be caught

Yeah true, I think the best thing to do is for Matt to go and talk to the copper and explain his situation. He may be understanding of his situation. If you don't ask you will never receive.

growler2058
21st June 2011, 09:02 AM
off topic a lil bit but i changed my licence from sa to qld an back to sa and didnt realise they missed the correct code, so lost my heavy rigid truck licence had been driving various trucks for a coupla years before i realised. so ring up drt an they say tuff sh1t do ur licence again a55holes

Bigrig
21st June 2011, 09:03 AM
Yeah they will now, oh well I will be in Victoria in a week anyways :) I should change it I have just been lazy

Hahaha ... lazy gen Y!!! lol

Bob
21st June 2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah true, I think the best thing to do is for Matt to go and talk to the copper and explain his situation. He may be understanding of his situation. If you don't ask you will never receive.

Too True.....

Warnie
21st June 2011, 09:46 AM
Hahaha ... lazy gen Y!!! lol

Yeah you gen X's keep telling me that, it's like water off a ducks back now, it has no meaning. I mean all I want is everything now, is that too hard to achieve... lol

growler2058
21st June 2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah you gen X's keep telling me that, it's like water off a ducks back now, it has no meaning. I mean all I want is everything now, is that too hard to achieve... lol

HAHAHHAHA i thought it was Y ne Yne yne yne translate whine whine whine hahhahahahaha

Warnie
21st June 2011, 10:09 AM
Gimme gimme gimme now now now. I want it all.

Sorry for the hi-jack Matt, I'm runnin simulations at work and waiting foe the computer to compute.