PDA

View Full Version : Fairlead for tjm bullbar

jay see
12th November 2019, 10:23 PM
My bullbar and winch still run the steel cable and 4 rollers. By going to rope what options do I have for a Fairlead?

Found this.

https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/ku70054bk-synthetic-fairlead-roller-conversion

What else is out there.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

mudnut
13th November 2019, 01:38 AM
I've seen an anodized one that had worn the smooth surface off. This resulted in a white pitted surface that was chafing the outside fibres of the rope. Cheap enough to replace, I suppose.

I was thinking of upgrading to rope, and getting a Stainless steel fairlead cut by the local water jet cutting guy.

Brissieboy
13th November 2019, 08:36 AM
I decided to stay with the rollers when I went dyneema even though I have an aluminium fairlead available. There are arguments each way, much of which is trivial at best, and I think most of it is trying hard to get you to part with your cash. You just need to use common sense with whatever option you go with and you shouldn't have a problem.

jay see
13th November 2019, 12:20 PM
Cheers gents.

I think I'll get something like the one in the link.

PeeBee
13th November 2019, 01:27 PM
Don't go plastic as the rope will cut a slot in it, especially when any side load is in play. Aluminium is fine and there are any number of design variations out there. You simply need to espablish if you need a straight thru or an offset mouth - alters the location of the mouth relative to the drum and bolt holes.

jay see
13th November 2019, 02:45 PM
Another question.

Which rope?

A quick search and they range from around $100 to $300. I just want something that's going to work.

jay see
13th November 2019, 02:46 PM
Don't go plastic as the rope will cut a slot in it, especially when any side load is in play. Aluminium is fine and there are any number of design variations out there. You simply need to espablish if you need a straight thru or an offset mouth - alters the location of the mouth relative to the drum and bolt holes.Nylon rollers??

PeeBee
13th November 2019, 03:13 PM
I reckon you are simply asking for trouble with rollers. If there is any side pull and the rope pulls into the corner, it will find a way to slide down and get jammed up. The rope is designed to slide low friction over a low friction surface. I am sure there are some that use rollers, but you would have to wonder why rope is configured with a hawse fairlead instead of a roller - function I suspect. My brother bought a plastic hawse fairlead and the second pull he used it for on an ugly pinch, the heat generated cut the rope into the plastic block by about 20mm. I have used aluminium for years and no issue.

PeeBee
13th November 2019, 03:16 PM
Another question.

Which rope?

A quick search and they range from around $100 to $300. I just want something that's going to work.

I think you want to validate the quality, which is very difficult today with rope flooding onto the market. I am sure there are ropes out there marketed as the genuine high quality dynamea and they are a genenic knock off. MudRunnerTD or @MB, Rossco mudski might have some solid recommendations. I think I purchased the genuine in 11mm but did I really?

mudski
13th November 2019, 03:27 PM
Over your way John I'd drop in and see Brett at 4x4 Obsession in Melton mate.

mudnut
13th November 2019, 05:06 PM
I think you want to validate the quality, which is very difficult today with rope flooding onto the market. I am sure there are ropes out there marketed as the genuine high quality dynamea and they are a genenic knock off. MudRunnerTD or @MB, Rossco mudski might have some solid recommendations. I think I purchased the genuine in 11mm but did I really?

Have those flat rope retainers for the winch turned up, Phil?

PeeBee
13th November 2019, 05:20 PM
Have those flat rope retainers for the winch turned up, Phil?

Craig, I don't know. I am still on site up north, home friday. With luck they are there. Ex USA is usually pretty quick - forgot about them to be honest - it has been a while I supposed since I bought them.

MB
13th November 2019, 06:37 PM
We’ve been happily buying from this great mob for work varying needs for a few years now Jaysee mate.
https://www.whittamropes.com.au/
Have visited their manufacturing setup in Carrum Downs and were suitably impressed so started buying their winch rope for play too.
https://www.whittamropes.com.au/products/winch-rope-products/
In regards fairleads, I got my utes ripper ‘Big Mouth’ from Phil Carr here below after Daz’s kind recommendation.
https://www.the4wdshed.com/big-mouth-76-stainless-steel-fairlead
Unfortunately it is for a +76mm drum only but you could look at getting similar fabricated in standard width yet keeping the mouth higher/open for emergency knots to pass through if ever desperate.
Phil also appears to sell Gigglepin standard width that may fit yours?
https://www.the4wdshed.com/gigglepin-fairlead-stainless-steel-standard-short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay see
13th November 2019, 09:20 PM
Thank you.

I think I'll go and see Brett as I don't know how I'll get an aluminium Fairlead in place of the current rollers and still look half decent. Makes it a bit hard when the bar is made for rollers. I sure that it can be done maybe a little more researching.

Any other tips on ropehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/92.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/93.jpg

PeeBee
14th November 2019, 06:03 AM
Here you go.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roadsafe-Multi-Fit-Alloy-Fairlead-With-60-mm-Spacer-Black/333281426722?hash=item4d991efd22:g:zjgAAOSw13ldivK d&frcectupt=true

jay see
15th November 2019, 11:16 PM
Called in to 4x4 obsession today. The only recommendations they could give was to change to nylon rollers or use a mean mother aluminium fairlead with would fit into a arb bar.

I think I'll go the nylon rollers. If anything I reckon the fairlead would produce more heat and friction than rollers. Rollers would move with the rope.

Must say the last couple of times I'll gone into to speak with Brett he's been unavailable....

Forgot to ask about the different types of rope. What are people using?

Thanks for your input guys.

PeeBee
16th November 2019, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=jay see;794091]Called in to 4x4 obsession today. The only recommendations they could give was to change to nylon rollers or use a mean mother aluminium fairlead with would fit into a arb bar.

I think I'll go the nylon rollers. If anything I reckon the fairlead would produce more heat and friction than rollers. Rollers would move with the rope.

Must say the last couple of times I'll gone into to speak with Brett he's been unavailable....

OK, fair enough, your call, just a couple of things to consider though. 1) nylon is a thermo plastic and sensitive to heat, be it friction from the load induced by the rope or from the environment. 2) nylon is hydroscopic, it absorbs water and expands. Over a period of time the UV will attack it and it will become brittle and crack, 3) as it swells, it closes up the clearance between the roller and the shaft, 4) as a system nylon rollers are no different in function to the metal rollers. I don't think there is going to be any change in the surface temperature of a poly rope riding over a polished aluminium surface, however two 'plastic' surfaces' are more likely to generate heat. There is a type of nylon or filled nylons that are less sensitive/more heat tolerant, maybe the term nylon is used as a generic term, but if I had to select a 'nylon' it would be a Nylon 66 or a glass filled type - both of which are expensive and certainly well outside of the use in the 4wd accessory world.
I would stick with the alum hawse and the extension block in all honesty

jay see
16th November 2019, 04:42 PM
OK PeeBee you have convinced me. I'll call the mob that has the extension block and get some measurements.