PDA

View Full Version : GU Mirror mount broken.

Cuppa
9th October 2019, 05:53 PM
The passenger side mirror has been moving up & down for a while now. I thought the combo of mirror extensions (Nissan) & corugations had caused the mount to come away from the door. My incorrect assumption was that they were held on with double sided tape & that the tape had let go. I now know there is no double sided tape or adhesive - they bolt onto the door.

Today I found major cracks in the plastic mirror mount & just a light bit of manipulation caused the mirror to break off. I feel sure I would have lost the mirror & extension very soon had I not broken it off in the carport!

So not wanting a runaround of unknown businesses in Cairns 1.5 hours away I contacted Patrolapart as they have always been good to deal with in the past.

3 choices - a complete genuine Nissan mirror & mount at a price almost needing a mortgage, an aftermarket complete mirror & base for $99, but 'Not as strong as the genuine Nissan item" or an aluminium billet mirror base only that Patrolapart have had made up & claim to be virtually unbreakable for $249.

We have plenty more corrugations ahead of us so rather than go for the aftermarket mirror & base, I plumped for the aluminium billet base only (powdercoated black).

Reason for this post - the fact that Patrolapart have had these mirror bases made suggests GU mirror bases breaking to be a reasonably common problem, but is not something I have read about here previously. Is it common? Anyone here broken one? How did you break it - collision/rough roads? Were you using mirror extension bars?

mudski
9th October 2019, 08:05 PM
Never heard of the bases breaking but I know mine have come lose. There is three screws in there from memory and I just nipped them up on my GU and now they dont shake around like they used too. So Im assuming the mirror breaks because of these screws working lose...