PDA

View Full Version : Boost controller help. Stuck on freeway.

Hodge
25th September 2019, 05:48 PM
Gentlemen. I'm on the side of the road , going nowhere as I have no boost, can do 40 kmh max , and egts are out of control. Car was running flawlessly and then it Happened fairly suddenly.

Popping the bonnet this boost controller was just flopping around , it must have dropped out of secure spot after dyno I had on Monday.

Re secured it & adjusting it , turning it, does absolutely nothing no matter how many turns either way ...
Is there a trick to these I am not aware of ???
Either I'm doing it wrong or it got damaged internally as it flopped around and now it's stuffed.

Hodge
25th September 2019, 05:50 PM
This is it. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/137.jpg

MB
25th September 2019, 06:11 PM
Missing a hose Hodgey mate!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Softy
25th September 2019, 06:14 PM
Yep.. should be another hose flopping about somewhere.

Hodge
25th September 2019, 06:14 PM
Missing a hose Hodgey mate!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't think so Marko mate .
Well I hope not it's always been like this ..
The free barb you see is the vent as I understand it ...

AB
25th September 2019, 06:35 PM
Still there mate?

Did you screw it all the way shut and still nothing?

I would also be looking elsewhere mate, no other loose fittings on turbo, pipes, ic, cracks etc?

Rev the engine under the bonnet and watch and listen hard for any air sounds?

AB
25th September 2019, 06:36 PM
Can you get access to water and detergents?

Bubble the ass out of everything related mate and rev engine etc.

Rossco
25th September 2019, 07:01 PM
Bugger mate. Yeah as AB said if its that serious a boost leak should able to track down. Check all intercooler and turbo pipes. Also worth checking throttle cable Andy had similar symptoms turned out nuts on cable came loose.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bidja
25th September 2019, 07:19 PM
Hodge just got on line mate. How is it happening?

The hose that is connected to boost controller where is the other end connected to (either boost take off or to vacuum side?

Are U running max spool (boost controller & no needle)? or boost controller and needle valve (tapping into vac side?

MudRunnerTD
25th September 2019, 07:28 PM
You have popped a hose off somewhere for sure mate. Check all Intercooler hoses. popped a hose off or split a hose and no boost. That controller would allow you t make boost but bleed off fast. No boost at all suggests it is a bigger leak.

Bidja
25th September 2019, 07:32 PM
To get u home can bypass manual boost control and connect vac (take off near alternator_side of eng block) direct to VNT vac actuator diaphragm.

Only do this if running boost gauge and drive to gauge _ Do not over boost"

Then if U still can not make boost, check hoses either side of intercooler but certainly does look like hose has dropped of controller. Have a look at boost take off (MAP sensor or somewhere on boost side of turbo.

Bidja
25th September 2019, 07:43 PM
Anyone, What engine is Hodge running?

MudRunnerTD
25th September 2019, 07:46 PM
Anyone, What engine is Hodge running?

TD42Ti It will be a hose for sure

Bidja
25th September 2019, 07:54 PM
Had to ask re: engine type as I was drumming on VNT turbo as well, but hose are hoses. TD42 club haha.

MudRunnerTD
25th September 2019, 07:56 PM
Just spoke with Eric. He limped home and will problem solve tomorrow. Good on nissannewby Lurker for giving him a call while he was on the side of the road and helped him out too. Your a good man Matty.

Hodge
25th September 2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies gents.
Enormous thanks to nissannewby & MudRunnerTD for the phone calls and guide.
Cars been limped and parked for the night. Ran out of daylight.
Suspect boost controller as there is something rattling inside. Spring and/or ball stuffed. Have replacement ready .

Also other hoses to check thoroughly and a few tricks Mat and Darren pointed out to try in the morning...

Hodge
25th September 2019, 08:12 PM
Just spoke with Eric. He limped home and will problem solve tomorrow. Good on nissannewby Lurker for giving him a call while he was on the side of the road and helped him out too. Your a good man Matty.Thanks again mate.
Bunch of legends on this forum.
Endless respect for you lot !

MB
25th September 2019, 08:15 PM
I don't think so Marko mate .
Well I hope not it's always been like this ..
The free barb you see is the vent as I understand it ...

Very clean shiny barb was only my thoughts old mate, glad to hear you’re home safe & sound!
Very keen to learn please top blokes [emoji106][emoji106]

AB
25th September 2019, 08:16 PM
Good news mate let us know what happened.

Cuppa
27th September 2019, 09:18 AM
Interested to know too.
My boost controller is the same as in MB's photo. Has a hose in & a hose out. I'd have thought you'd had a hose come off too?

Hodge
27th September 2019, 10:12 AM
Had to work since Wed night so got a work van to run around in.
So , I Still haven't had a chance to go get the car and sort it out.

Hodge
27th September 2019, 12:12 PM
So I found the culprit. Well, I think I did as im in no position to fix / test now.
Small boost hose that tees off between the intercooler and boost gauge, goes along the top of the motor and to the pump. On top of the motor it goes into a bit of small metal piping before it exists as rubber hose again before going to the pump.
Where it meets this bit of piping the hose was dry, crumbled and completely blocked inside.
It looks and feels burnt but it isnt and it doesnt smell burnt. There is nothing in that vicinity that would get hot enough to do this to a hose. Very strange.
Mat nissannewby thought this from the start. Pump was not getting boost therefore , it was not compensating the fuel, hence no power...

The other was the boost controller, which was my initial prediction. I split it open and the spring was in 2 or 3 pieces, one small bit of wire was somewhat edged at the bottom where the ball is. I got another one, but need to source some hose now and will entirely bypass that tiny pipe at the top will go straight from tee to the pump.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79366&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79367&stc=1

Bidja
27th September 2019, 03:50 PM
Maybe metal pipe acting as heat sink and heat transferred into rubber hose @ connection.

Interested in learning here _ the boost controller (vented) in your set up Hodge , does it provide a boost bleed to atmosphere so that actuator sees a lesser pressure and wastegate remains closed longer so the turbine spools up low down to for improved boost early?

Hodge
27th September 2019, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Bidja;791595]Maybe metal pipe acting as heat sink and heat transferred into rubber hose @ connection.

Interested in learning here _ the boost controller (vented) in your set up Hodge , does it provide a boost bleed to atmosphere so that actuator sees a lesser pressure and wastegate remains closed longer so the turbine spools up low down to for improved boost early?[/QUOTE Bidja
I think it's a simple boost limiter. Spring inside compresses at set point and lets excess boost out , so as to not push the actuator any further.

The earlier linked versions , are a inline setup I believe . No tee piece. Hose put of pressure side of turbo, through the controller and out onto the actuator.

As for the hose. I really don't know. More so how the hose and the controller gave up in one go.
Prick of a place too. Had to remove the intercooler to get to it. Now to find some quality hose.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/147.jpg

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2019, 04:26 PM
Any auto shop will sell silicon hose mate.

Bidja
27th September 2019, 04:36 PM
Hodge good pic thanks.

Yeah the inline controller used primarily to remove initial boost spike have read and to provide more linear boost/spool(low down).

Would replace all boost line hose while at it (pretty cheap).

MB
27th September 2019, 11:00 PM
Awesome explanatory picture thanks Hodgey mate, learning every nuffy day me here thanks to your unfortunate expense :-(
As the top blokes above and out there no doubt mentioned too, a positive time to strip ripper TD42 hoses off for another faithful 500,000km we all hope and have seen done too[emoji106][emoji106]

Hodge
28th September 2019, 09:23 AM
Awesome explanatory picture thanks Hodgey mate, learning every nuffy day me here thanks to your unfortunate expense :-(
As the top blokes above and out there no doubt mentioned too, a positive time to strip ripper TD42 hoses off for another faithful 500,000km we all hope and have seen done too[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAlready onto it good Marko! Will re-hose the lot after this stint.

Many thanks again to fine gentlemen's helping us out.
Fair dinkum legends as one would say! [emoji106][emoji109]

Hodge
28th September 2019, 06:20 PM
Temporary fix, to get the car home. Ran cheapo bit of hose from Supercheap. All good.
Ran the car without the boost controller as per MudRunnerTD & nissannewby s suggestion and car ran fine with 11-12PSI (factory specs).