PDA

View Full Version : power loss 3.0 turbo 2001

cold
23rd September 2019, 01:26 PM
hi, my patrol has lost power, struggles to get to 100ks and is flat to the boards to get to 110kph tia

Baby Daddy
23rd September 2019, 03:51 PM
Hi mate
Not much info really given but hope you can add something else as there would be plemty here knowledgable enough to try help.

Has it gone into limp mode?
Done any mods recently?
Idling rough?
Sound like its missing?
Etc etc

cold
23rd September 2019, 06:26 PM
hi thanks,not sure about limp mode, will still do 110kph sometimes, sometimes struggles to do 100kph. sounds good, idles normal , no mods , haven't touched it ,when I hit overdrive, its auto at 100kph it seems to bog down and has no power

mudski
23rd September 2019, 09:44 PM
with the little info its hard to tell. The two things I would check for a leaking intercooler. Remove the cooler and check the underside of it for oil spots. If you see wet spots on the under side of it, its leaking and needs to be replaced. A leaking intercooler means your losing boost pressure, which mean power loss. The next thing is to give the air flow meter a clean with some air flow meter spray, or use electronic parts cleaner spray.
do these and check back in with results.

cold
3rd October 2019, 12:00 PM
Hi thanks, I have changed both. I am thinking maybe accelerator position sensor. Seems to go ok with very little pressure, but if you push harder does not do much . Would you know anything about that .Tia

Bidja
4th October 2019, 11:21 AM
VNT actuator working properly ?
@ idle the actuator rod should be up(lever against stop), then (still @ idle) pull vac hose of at actuator and does rod drop down 10mm or so?

Have you a scan gauge?

Have you a Boost Gauge?

Does is sound like a bit of a flutter exhaust when you put your foot down?

cold
17th October 2019, 02:08 PM
hi mate, yeah the actuator works. no don't have gauges . not really noticed exhaust . what might that be ?

mudski
17th October 2019, 05:22 PM
Was the air flow meter you changed out genuine? Did you disconnect the -ive on the battery for half hour to reset the ECU? Check all the intercooler hoses, make sure there is no boost leaks. Go over all the vac hoses too. Being a 2001 you should have that stupid can shaped thingo on top of the motor with a small vac hose going into it then coming out of it. These break often and leak vacuum. Just bypass this can and throw it out. They do nothing anyway. So check all vac hoses from the vac pump and right around to the control solenoid which is mounted on the air box, then from this to the turbo. If these are leaking your turbo will not be working.

Bidja
17th October 2019, 08:00 PM
hi mate, yeah the actuator works. no don't have gauges . not really noticed exhaust . what might that be ?

Asked about exhaust sounds to help determine if you have a vac leak (hoses to solenoid/or VNT actuator), if vac problem it would prevent actuator from functioning correctly to control vanes and be laggy (poor performance). For example, at idle pull vac hose of actuator and rod will drop (it should) and you will hear it sound hollow (combination induction/exhaust).

Do as mudski stated and come back to us mate.

cold
6th December 2019, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, sorry have been out of action for a while. Well I am a bit embarrassed. After I dragged the rubber mat that was jammed up under the pedal I have had a vast improvement. Still not %100 but a lot better. Also been driving it harder. Will try get it on a dyno over Xmas holidays. Thanks so far

Avo
7th December 2019, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, sorry have been out of action for a while. Well I am a bit embarrassed. After I dragged the rubber mat that was jammed up under the pedal I have had a vast improvement. Still not %100 but a lot better. Also been driving it harder. Will try get it on a dyno over Xmas holidays. Thanks so farIts always the little things,well most times,good outcome hopefully

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk