PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Safari TD42 Turbo Diesel Pump Adjustment

rodney007
13th September 2019, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I have googled this topic and found several posts however all pictures to show where the adjustment is are broken.

I have a 1997 Nissan Safari 4.2 Diesel Turbo and would like to adjust the fuel pump for more fuel, can anyone
show me an image of the screw and provide a basic guide or instruction.

Any help greatly appreciate.

Cheers,
Rod

Sherro
13th September 2019, 08:43 PM
Have a read of this it's not patrol but it's very similar.I would recommend fitting a boost and EGT gauges before touching the pump so you don't kill an engine.
https://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/Tuning_Land_Rover_Tdi_engines_Rev_2.pdf

Deano2506
14th September 2019, 09:45 AM
As above,get a egt gauge and don't go above 550 degrees.
Adjust inwards 1/4 turn at a time,then back off idle to attain correct idle

jff45
14th September 2019, 06:48 PM
If it’s a factory turbo Safari with the 11mm boost compensated pump then you should leave the fuel screw alone and only do fuel adjustments with the fuel pin.
If you’re not familiar with the adjustments, get it done by someone capable.

Deano2506
15th September 2019, 09:26 AM
I totally agree.
Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the import safari factory turbo is a 10mm non compensated pump ??

jff45
15th September 2019, 12:41 PM
All the factory TD42T engines had the 11mm boost compensated pump. The TD42T engine in my GU is from a ‘96 GQ Safari.

There were a series of 4.2 GQs that had the turbo added here in Australia before they were sold. I believe it was a dealer option to help sales. They even added a “Turbo” badge. They retained their original 10mm pump.
From memory, it was a Safari brand turbo kit but unrelated to the Jap Safari model.

Deano2506
15th September 2019, 02:35 PM
Good bit of info there.
So many different variations in them.
Cheers mate

MB
15th September 2019, 03:38 PM
Great info indeed [emoji106]
We recently had a short yet honestly calm discussion with a trackside officer about the GQTD42 and Safari variants having turbos from overseas factories legitimately imported.
According to his ipad/tablet extract discussions the Aussie versions were never turbo’d but I’m suspicious our 1995 GQ coily work ute looks like a dealer ‘safari turbo’ with its 10mm pump too.
Pretty sure Aussie dealers were adding on safari turbos to the likes of Toyoda Hilux’s too as our father had one of them IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk