PDA

View Full Version : Advice and tips needed please.

Coltrain
18th August 2019, 08:58 AM
Hi all apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I recently purchased a 2011 wagon with auto gear box. engine is standard.
looking at what basic mods needed to improve for towing and beach use.
ta
Coltrain

mudski
18th August 2019, 01:26 PM
The list is almost endless.
Hopefully Bidja pipes up. He done pretty everything you can to his CRD.

Coldcomfort
18th August 2019, 06:52 PM
First check that the intercooler is not leaking. I bet it is..... replace it.

Bidja
19th August 2019, 02:02 AM
Where are U located?

Mods for improved performance _ Well depends on what you are prepare to spend, need to think of bigger picture and do it right first up otherwise continually changing for better upgrades will cost more in the long run. Think where U want to end up and let us know so more accurate advise can be given. So many ways to answer this question.

IMO_ Read up on NADS (EGR block/plates, Catch can_ProVent 200). Recommend 3" exhaust (muffler/CAT).
Need a good TIG welded inter cooler (choice is driven by level of tune). Consider manual boost control(Tillix/Dawes).

CRD want to breath well (induction upgrade_snorkel, air box, ducting from airbox to turbo).
Maybe ECU remap, manual boost control run max boost 20-22psi, need to install manual boost controller (Tillix or Dawes for boost control and needle valve to control spool rate). Can run positive pressure actuator (waste gate type control), personal choice: rather use Tillix/Dawes set up. Can run manual boost control in conjunction with VNT vac solenoid post ECU remap.
Running higher boost (20-22psi) provides improved performance (driveability and lower EGTs).
Need scan gauge to monitor performance and be able to erase fault codes. Note with remap you can turn off EGR system and no more limp caused by over boost.
Have to ask yourself, do U want to do remap or remain stock level of boost (nom 16psi), as other suggestions can be provided.

Need boost and EGT gauges. Boost can also be measured with use of UltraGauge or use of smart phones with Apps(not my thing as I only have a dumb phone).

Are U prepared to do work yourself?

Coltrain
22nd October 2019, 10:26 AM
Hi sorry for late reply. computer died and kids just got back my info for me. thanks for your responses.
ill need to get work done by others as i dont have the tools or space.
my budget is $3000 and priority is better reliability for towing (in soft sand) then fuel economy / modest performance improvements.
was going to start with
catch can
pre fuel filter
snorkel
3 inch exhaust
and see how that goes to start.

i would welcome your thoughts.
ta
coltrain

mudnut
22nd October 2019, 11:07 AM
Hello. Welcome to the forum. If you are towing offroad, you might need to strengthen the rear spring towers. There are a few kits available from places such as Superior Engineering or Boss. You will need to get under the vehicle and check to see if the towers aren't already stretched or cracked at the chassis welds.

Bidja
22nd October 2019, 11:29 AM
catch can _ Provent200
pre fuel filter _ look at Waterwatch Not cheap though https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/product-page/nissan-patrol-3-0l-pre-2012
https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/howwaterwatchworks Note: Be careful not to restrict flow with aftermarket aux filtration
snorkel_Yes
3 inch exhaust_Yes

More to consider:

Scan gauge_Ultra gauge EMPlus reads boost as wel as be able to delete fault codes.
http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

manual boost control (Tillix/Dawes with needle valve)_DIY not difficult and would think EGR block(try without first if you choose). If you are thinking EGR block down the track, do it same time as exhaust (block both ends_exhaust and inlet manifolds).

Where are you roughly?

Coltrain
22nd October 2019, 12:28 PM
Hi am in brisbane

the evil twin
22nd October 2019, 12:56 PM
snip...
my budget is $3000 and priority is better reliability for towing (in soft sand) then fuel economy / modest performance improvements.
was going to start with
catch can
pre fuel filter
snorkel
3 inch exhaust
and see how that goes to start.

i would welcome your thoughts.
ta
coltrain

Scangauge or equivalent
EGT gauge (almost mandatory for towing esp in gnarly/sandy terrain)
2.75 or 3 inch exhaust
Catch Can
More efficient intercooler
Manual Boost Control
EGR block (you will need Man Boost Control or VNT adjusted and ability to clear MIL with a full EGR block)
Rear Coil Tower braces
ECU remap or chip
2 inch lift or better rear coils & shocks at minimum (if you tow in soft sand on stock suspension it will drag its arse like a dog with worms )

Snork can wait till you have the $'s and be wary of fuel prefilters on the CRD, they have a very low micron filter stock and prefilter can be either of no use or possibly cause delivery issues to the pump

Coltrain
23rd October 2019, 07:31 AM
ta all for your advice.
any recommendations for suppliers fitters in brissy

Bidja
23rd October 2019, 10:22 AM
Coltrain sent you a PM