14th August 2019, 08:37 AM
HI guys my 2012 ST has 140000 kms shocks seem to be RS

What brand are a good replacement ?

Used as every day transport & towing camper trailer on week ends

Thanks Regards

Rob Poynter

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2019, 09:26 AM
Old Man Emu gets my money. OME Sport is very good, mine has 240,000kms on the suspension and still going strong. when they finally die i will go tot he ARB OME BP51s which are next level but at this stage the Sports have done an amazing job.

mudski
14th August 2019, 09:52 PM
Yeah OME Sport would be my choice.

10G
16th August 2019, 10:47 AM
I'm running Tough Dog adjustables (45mm) and I reckon they're darn good. Ran them on the Madigan and they got blisteringly hot but just kept on going. Great being able to adjust them for when I'm loaded or unloaded.

Ran them on the old Navara as well, I can't fault them.

VK2FMIA
16th August 2019, 11:18 AM
Another vote for OME. 170,000 km & still going strong.

PeeBee
16th August 2019, 11:54 AM
How do you assess if the shockers are operating correctly ? I had a new OME system installed on my patrol from new. At 50,000klm, I pulled the shocks off and found the compression rates varied considerably from side to side. I tossed them for Koni adjustable hydraulic and at 110,000klm rebuilt them- or Koni did, simply replaced the metering discs, and back to square one. The Konis have a 3 or 4 stage adjustment and I found the compression rate side to side was different by 2 clicks on the rear and 1 click on the front. For me, the results have been very different than others.

Ben-e-boy
16th August 2019, 12:10 PM
How do you assess if the shockers are operating correctly ? I had a new OME system installed on my patrol from new. At 50,000klm, I pulled the shocks off and found the compression rates varied considerably from side to side. I tossed them for Koni adjustable hydraulic and at 110,000klm rebuilt them- or Koni did, simply replaced the metering discs, and back to square one. The Konis have a 3 or 4 stage adjustment and I found the compression rate side to side was different by 2 clicks on the rear and 1 click on the front. For me, the results have been very different than others.

The shocks sole responsibility is to control the spring, converting that kinetic energy to heat.

If you put your weight on on corner of the vehicle and bounce of it, basically the spring should compress, extend and settle. Any more movement and the shock isnt really working. (Not necessarily faulty, not doing its job)

mudski
16th August 2019, 01:20 PM
I'm running Tough Dog adjustables (45mm) and I reckon they're darn good. Ran them on the Madigan and they got blisteringly hot but just kept on going. Great being able to adjust them for when I'm loaded or unloaded.

Ran them on the old Navara as well, I can't fault them.

Yeah I got those too and while they are still working, they're just too big in size I think. The front covers rub on the shock tower and the rears hit the spring and are destroyed. Already replaced them once. Not doing them again.

Ben-e-boy
16th August 2019, 05:12 PM
Yeah I got those too and while they are still working, they're just too big in size I think. The front covers rub on the shock tower and the rears hit the spring and are destroyed. Already replaced them once. Not doing them again.

You have decent lift and radius arm spacers?
If that's the case, it's all your fault that it rubs, not the shock