PDA

View Full Version : TJM winch

dpetersen
11th August 2019, 06:00 PM
Hey fellas, had a search but can’t find much info.
Got the 4wd show on here in Melbourne next week and iv been saving/planning to purchase a winch. Iv budgeted around $1500 for it plus install so I’m leaning towards the TJM torq 12000 pound. Still unsure as to why everything’s measured in pounds haha.
Anyway has anyone got any positive or negative feedback on them or any other opinions?
Hoping to pick up a few good deals while I’m there, was hoping to grab a set of poly airs for the rear and possibly the front too, bash plate, couple of uhf ariels, maybe even an on board air compressor depending prices!
Any feed back is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
11th August 2019, 07:13 PM
That sounds like a lot of money for a generic 12000lb low mount winch to be honest. Have you considered the Runva or even the 4WD super centre units? My brother and his son both purchased the 12000lb low-mounts for about $450 each and they are pretty robust, fully waterproof and simply work. Just a thought.

Winnie
11th August 2019, 08:01 PM
Yeah that's crazy money as PeeBee said.
Carbon winches have been getting a really good wrap lately as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dpetersen
11th August 2019, 09:58 PM
Thanks fellas, the main thing I’m worried about is reliability of the cheaper units. I understand it’s important to check them before a trip and what not but prior to living in melb I was in central aus for seven years and the reality is it’s a pretty harsh environment up there and I’m not sure the cheaper ones would last. If I do move back there and a winch fails it could spell a lot of trouble. Just my thoughts but I appreciate the input.

PeeBee
12th August 2019, 08:04 AM
I think the quality has improved to be honest. Years ago I purchase a 12000lb electric ex USA from Milemarker. Cost a bomb to get it here lots of hype etc, turned out to be the same series of winch brought out by Aldi and TJM and others. It wasn't water tight, but you could fill it with water and mud, then it stopped, but a simple strip and reassemble and off it went again. I ended up sealing it up - and its still going - actually sitting on the floor of the garage to refit to my brothers hilux as a rear winch. To be honest, you need to cycle the winch every couple of months until the motor feels warm to touch and then you should be fine. If you let it sit, as many of us do for 5 yrs then go to use it in anger, and it won't work - all of a sudden the winch is crap - nup, its simple preventative maintenance and the operator has failed.

dpetersen
18th August 2019, 11:25 PM
Purchased the winch today! Original price was $1500 supply only but I got it for $1500 including fitting plus a bash plate supplied and fitted so no complaints here!

0-TJ-0
19th August 2019, 01:51 PM
Purchased the winch today! Original price was $1500 supply only but I got it for $1500 including fitting plus a bash plate supplied and fitted so no complaints here!

Good result. Bit expensive but I understand they're Australian owned, designed and built. At least your hard earned $ are going back into Australian pockets.

dpetersen
19th August 2019, 10:26 PM
Good result. Bit expensive but I understand they're Australian owned, designed and built. At least your hard earned $ are going back into Australian pockets.

Yeah I get that it’s a fair wack higher in price then a lot of the others but I just can’t understand how some of the cheaper ones would have the reliability of say a tjm or warn. Anyway, time will tell!

MB
20th August 2019, 08:52 PM
Good Stuff[emoji106]
We’ve still got an old faithful TJM 7,000lb ish on a work Rodeo from well before the turn of the millennium, hand me down unbolt to a top deserved blokes lightish personal Bravo soon it should see another 20+ years with some minor love [emoji106][emoji106]

MB
20th August 2019, 09:27 PM
Nothing against 4WD centres, they’re great for $320ish R&D work!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/124.jpg
$19.99 ish snatch blocks atop of posts as light 100kg pulleys work great :-)

MB
20th August 2019, 10:06 PM
Yeah I get that it’s a fair wack higher in price then a lot of the others but I just can’t understand how some of the cheaper ones would have the reliability of say a tjm or warn. Anyway, time will tell!

You’re on the money mate!
Reliability is key, nothing worse than loosing a beloved truck and or worse to a few somewhat dollars in the grand scale relative savings!
Recovery gear by definition I believe needs to work safely at all times [emoji106]
Stick around, MudRunnerTD will help pimp your TJM :-) [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/125.jpg

dpetersen
20th August 2019, 11:28 PM
You’re on the money mate!
Reliability is key, nothing worse than loosing a beloved truck and or worse to a few somewhat dollars in the grand scale relative savings!
Recovery gear by definition I believe needs to work safely at all times [emoji106]
Stick around, MudRunnerTD will help pimp your TJM :-) [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/125.jpg

Thanks MB, sounds good!!

mudnut
4th October 2019, 04:34 PM
Just looked at getting a replacement for my Aldi winch. It runs great but the brake has never worked. I can get a TJM 9500 locally for $1300, but I am a bit concerned that water ingress might not be covered by the warranty.

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/winch-warrantys-who-to-support-and-when-to-walk-warn-runva-ironman-carbon-tmax-etc.25959/

Unless it has been updated since that was posted.

The Aldi one I bought secondhand had already suffered water damage, but it only took a couple of hours to repair it. I also added a silicon seal, which works well.

Has anyone used a cheaper winch in anger? What were the results?

mudnut
4th October 2019, 04:48 PM
Just got off the phone with Sherpa, and their winches are covered for 5 years and it also covers water ingress.

dpetersen
4th October 2019, 07:29 PM
Just got off the phone with Sherpa, and their winches are covered for 5 years and it also covers water ingress.

What was the Sherpa worth? I got the tjm 12000 pound fitted the other day, they did a pretty neat job, haven’t had a chance to use it yet. Comes with both the wired controller and wireless. Only thing that’s a bit annoying is that the isolator is under the bonnet, was hoping for a switch in the cab but it’s all good! I think the warranty is only two years though.

mudnut
4th October 2019, 08:02 PM
Just shy of a grand with dyneema fitted. Haven't heard much about them though.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/sherpa-mustang-9500-12-volt-winch-test

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/tjm-torq-winch-9500-12-volt-winch-test

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/runva-ewx-9500-q-12-volt-winch-test

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/warn-zeon-10-s-12-volt-winch-test

MB
4th October 2019, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately can’t performance wise comment on our Sherpa as yet. Purchased a 17,000lb twin motor Mule for the back of a ute to hopefully help haul up dead drivetrain Landcruiser mates :-)
Awaiting installation to come although can say its warranty written and truly excellent customer sales service queries throughout the buying process were impeccable [emoji106][emoji106]

mudnut
4th October 2019, 09:59 PM
Interesting that the dyneema slips on the spool enough to tear out fittings on a few winches that were tested.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/thunder-9500-12-volt-winch-test

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/bushranger-seal-95th-12-volt-winch-test

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/recovery/warn-magnum-10k-s-12-volt-winch-test

MB
4th October 2019, 10:06 PM
Little help please Craig mate, which linky one suffers that?

MB
4th October 2019, 10:18 PM
Cheers Craigstar!
I’d personally be more worried about the motors and gears on cheaper unsupported ones.
Pretty sure IIRC bought one for a work ute being the very first original opening in Australia day ALdi’s and found it had absolutely no brake, seriously:-)
EDIT: Killed a $250 then battery trying to hold a DX on a slope :-)

mudnut
5th October 2019, 12:02 AM
Oh, yeah. I forgot to put the original winch testing video link up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBp9fVsD_I4

MB
5th October 2019, 12:41 AM
Ultimate wanker me here yet true thanks MudRunnerTD mate!
Still cannot believe the old rusty 2.5hp HM Warn could be pimped to such capabilities [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/25.jpg

EDIT: Best to tie your arse to a tree in slippery conditions [emoji106][emoji106]

mudnut
5th October 2019, 07:12 PM
So now I am a bit wary of buying a winch with dyneema fitted. What is more dangerous: having a broken winch cable slashing through the air, or having a rope break of at the winch and finding yourself slipping backwards down a hill?

Rossco
5th October 2019, 07:55 PM
Yeah always had a problem with the old crimp fitting and rivet. Pretty piss poor way of securing the rope / cable but definatly rope has more potential to spin on the drum and break free. Our work low mount with warn xd9000 was always a candidate for this even with red tape fitted to last couple of wraps to try and stop people pulling out too much. I welded a little tag to the drum with a hole big enough to put rope through with a figure 8 knot on the end similar to a high mount which rope is secured by knot inside drum. Can pretty much winch from no wraps and would trust it, had to which out with it the other day pulled out all the way with no wraps whatsoever and all good. Rope has so many benefits over cable and has been well proven over the years unfortunately low mount fittings are piss poor but easy fix, no brainer i reckon. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudnut
5th October 2019, 08:44 PM
Yeah always had a problem with the old crimp fitting and rivet. Pretty piss poor way of securing the rope / cable but definatly rope has more potential to spin on the drum and break free. Our work low mount with warn xd9000 was always a candidate for this even with red tape fitted to last couple of wraps to try and stop people pulling out too much. I welded a little tag to the drum with a hole big enough to put rope through with a figure 8 knot on the end similar to a high mount which rope is secured by knot inside drum. Can pretty much winch from no wraps and would trust it, had to which out with it the other day pulled out all the way with no wraps whatsoever and all good. Rope has so many benefits over cable and has been well proven over the years unfortunately low mount fittings are piss poor but easy fix, no brainer i reckon. .

Got any Pics?

Rossco
5th October 2019, 08:47 PM
Yeah I'll get a pic on Monday.

MB
6th October 2019, 06:28 AM
Google piccie of Delta Tek drums with similar to Rossco’s top idea[emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/27.jpg

mudnut
6th October 2019, 12:26 PM
Might do that on the Aldi one if I ever fit it to the rear of the Old Trol.

PeeBee
8th October 2019, 04:08 PM
mudnut, Craig, I found this today, looks interesting and appears to work by locking the rope on itself, then still using the drum screw, however the drum screw does not take any load. I have ordered 3 and will fit them to my winches and see how they go.

www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope-retainer.htm

mudnut
8th October 2019, 04:13 PM
It will be interesting to see how it goes, that is for sure.

MB
8th October 2019, 06:15 PM
Do wonder also if possibly a very fine say skateboarders ‘grip tape’ and or wet & dry fine sand paper affixed to a drum may assist? Only in wacky theory and you’d still loose a few good feet as PeeBee mate above although we really shouldn’t be pushing those limits too far anyway. Winch extension straps I believe should be our first go to unless in absolute dire straits needed!
Maybe the fine grit on the drum over time could cause too much new age winch rope abrasion on the first spool layer wrap?

Winnie
8th October 2019, 06:19 PM
mudnut, Craig, I found this today, looks interesting and appears to work by locking the rope on itself, then still using the drum screw, however the drum screw does not take any load. I have ordered 3 and will fit them to my winches and see how they go.

www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope-retainer.htmThese are what comp guys are using nowadays. Pretty cool and so basic!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hodge
8th October 2019, 06:52 PM

www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope-retainer.htmWe use a very similar concept on a larger scale when spooling on re-conductoring ropes, firstly started with a large clove hitch around the drums.
Trailer will get off the ground way before the rope even considers detaching.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/44.jpg

PeeBee
8th October 2019, 06:55 PM
Do wonder also if possibly a very fine say skateboarders ‘grip tape’ and or wet & dry fine sand paper affixed to a drum may assist? Only in wacky theory and you’d still loose a few good feet as PeeBee mate above although we really shouldn’t be pushing those limits too far anyway. Winch extension straps I believe should be our first go to unless in absolute dire straits needed!
Maybe the fine grit on the drum over time could cause too much new age winch rope abrasion on the first spool layer wrap?

Not a crazy idea Mark. Its simply a friction/force issue. The grippy surface is going to reduce the slide around the drum. I guess the issue becomes by how much is there a differential between the outer fibres that are stuck to the sandpaper and the internal fibres stretching under tension - does it affect the integrity of the rope - maybe?. In reality you are not losing any rope length with the strap as its still the same length you could not access without the 'restrictor' I reckon. I will give min e a go and also the brother as he is sure to put his winch under more duress than mine, and see what the outcome is - stay tuned!

MB
8th October 2019, 07:49 PM
That’s Mega Hodgey Legend:-) [emoji106][emoji106]
Go the starter ‘triple clove’ now proven on rope for sure good man was my honest original thoughts although genuinely worried that steel cable blokes direct to drums may misconstrue and squish out all structural integrity?
Quite new to recreational recovery rope myself but do love it now too, shiploads less steel splinters and a lot less airborne danger breakage potential I’m lead to believe too?

EDIT: ‘Clove hitches’ , themselves are not Nanny Nation banned these days, just roping down your truck loads :-) Best to sarcastically entrust in a $19.99 watchet China ‘CE’ tagged strap from Brunning’s safety department, LOL :-)

“If you need good rope, work & play, can highly recommend Aussie Made, (Whittam Ropes - Carrum Downs - Victoria- Australia)”
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
9,000kg/10mm - 11,000kg/11mm - 13,000kg/12mm
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/46.jpg