PDA

View Full Version : Replacing headlights GQ

macca97
2nd August 2019, 02:39 PM
I recently blew a standard headlight on my gq. Wanting to get a new pair of headlights but not sure which direction to take. Halogen HID or LED, My price range is about 200-250 max so good LED's are out of the question. I am weighing up these two headlights atm but am unsure of any cheap reasonable LED headlights.
sealed or semi sealed as well?
https://www.narva.com.au/products/72002
https://www.offroadindustries.com.au/products/55w-nissan-patrol-gq-headlight-fast-start-hid-conversion-kit?variant=954283217

What headlights did you go with? links for would be appreciated.

PeeBee
2nd August 2019, 04:03 PM
I would not go HID - have run them, was the first thing PLOD picked up on. There are any range of halogen upgrades you could do but the trick is to upgrade the wiring with a relay kit to eliminate the voltage drop. I am running LED globes, they are bright enough, but still not what I am looking for regards illumination on wet bitumen. I have my eyes on some JTX LED inserts that come with an ADR certificate of compliance for use on a GQ, unlike most of the other LED headlight sets only being 'legally' applicable for Jeeps. I think the JTX ones are around $279 a pair - on ebay.

Rossco
2nd August 2019, 05:15 PM
Yeah i have gone HID in the past and not a fan, we're unreliable bright but horrible light no definition or depth. Have a set of upgraded halogens with loom and although not crazy bright certainly better than factory and a nice light. Other bonus is they don't attract boys in blue attention. . Mine are IPF lenses, globes and loom kit. Do have IPF HID spotties however and very happy, they almost have a halogen light to them definatly not blue or purple hues, have not seen any headlight insert kits that give a light like this tho. . Not sure on LED at this stage have heard alright things but nothing amazing so far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Winnie
2nd August 2019, 06:29 PM
I had HID and did not rate them at all! Same as Rossco, unreliable and not bright enough. I swapped them out for LED inserts and they are miles better but still not amazing. They will do for what I need.

macca97
2nd August 2019, 06:56 PM
thanks very much, looks like halogens is the way to go.

MB
3rd August 2019, 12:28 AM
Depends which state/territory in this great country you live IMHO mate!
Anything above stock truck halogens within Victoria nanny turf will near blow reflectivity our eyeballs out with 3M giant roadsign contracts!
IPF HID twisted 45 degree HB rooftop out on tracks up top works for me for now[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the evil twin
3rd August 2019, 12:58 PM
Tried 'em all and IMHO HID are terrible, LED is OK but by far the best result and also the cheapest in a GQ is replace the shitty factory wiring loom with switching relays (you need to do that anyway) and use +130 or +150 halogen globes in semi-sealed lens.

PeeBee
4th August 2019, 09:36 PM
I am looking at these. Will ring Vicroads first though, just to check if ADR compliance actually still means they are legal fitment to GQ Patrols in Vic.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292728337798

Winnie
4th August 2019, 10:17 PM
I am looking at these. Will ring Vicroads first though, just to check if ADR compliance actually still means they are legal fitment to GQ Patrols in Vic.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292728337798They look much better quality than the ones I have. Reading the description they sound like they perform a lot better too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jimmyboyjr4
10th December 2019, 05:12 AM
I've gone in a giant loop with this stuff.

Does anyone know what's legal in NSW? I really need an upgrade, driving at night is terrifying with the old sealed beam units.

PeeBee
10th December 2019, 07:22 AM
I've gone in a giant loop with this stuff.

Does anyone know what's legal in NSW? I really need an upgrade, driving at night is terrifying with the old sealed beam units.

Why not either see a NSW RWC tester or ask the NSW RTA equivalent? At the end of the day, they are the gate keepers and if you want to remain compliant, they are the ones to speak with IMO.

Jimmyboyjr4
10th December 2019, 07:34 AM
Ended up just going with a set of these:

https://www.stedi.com.au/stedi-7-inch-led-headlight.html

A little spur of the moment purchase haha - I blame sleep deprivation.

Arfa Brayne
10th December 2019, 08:39 PM
This is an old problem with our standard 55/60w sealed beams on poor wiring feeding through a string of terminals, connectors and switches.

Went down the path of Double reflector Hella semi sealed with 90/100w globes and upgraded, relay fed harness. Worked good enough to think I'd found the answer.

Then spent $60 on these
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5inch-Fog-Light-Bi-Xenon-Projector-lens-Hi-Lo-H11-Bulb-Retrofit-Headlight-kit/183783528035?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and another $70 on some 55w HID 4300k H11 globes and 55w digital AC ballasts

So now the patrol is ADR legal with decent headlights, and has "fog lights" that emit bugger all glare but light up the road hi/low like the latest spec SUV.

MudRunnerTD
26th March 2021, 08:58 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292728337798

Hey Phil, any feedback on these. Need to replace mine after Tassie.

PeeBee
28th March 2021, 09:29 PM
Yes work well, happy with them.

MudRunnerTD
28th March 2021, 09:34 PM
Yes work well, happy with them.

Hahaha. I liked your other answer better.

Do you get any flash back from oncoming from being to bright? Considering these or some IPF Halogens.

PeeBee
29th March 2021, 07:17 AM
Hahaha. I liked your other answer better.

Do you get any flash back from oncoming from being to bright? Considering these or some IPF Halogens.

Yes that's why I changed them. Correction, flashback only on the high wattage halogens

The Survivalists
4th December 2021, 01:09 PM
Your best upgrade and cheapest for the results you’ll get is:

Upgrade the factory crap wiring off the headlight stalk using heavier gauge wiring and run individual relays for your low and high beams (2 low/2high).
Sparesbox :
Narva 7" H4 Halogen Headlamp Conversion Kit 12V 60/55W
Part#: 72038 485-72038 $119.16

I fitted the above and then replaced the globes (+110 come with them i think) to the Philips Diamond Vision 5000K whites and led parkers (which come with the globes). $70 on special at Autobarn a while ago. They aren’t ADR approved having a blue tinge but you’d hardly notice and I’m pretty pedantic about putting non compliant stuff on my GQ. Adjusted properly. Never been flashed in the year I’ve been running them. Great spread and light m. High beam is unreal. Especially going from the underpowered factory headlights (yellow and dull).

Note: You may have to cut the headlight recess surround to fit the above as they weren’t a straight fit. Takes maybe 10mins so.