PDA

View Full Version : Air bubbles coming through cooling system

GQJay
26th July 2019, 09:18 AM
Hey guys, my mate has had his 04 GU series 3 for almost 2years. Hey went and got cooling system flushed and was told it could have cracked head or headgasket gone. It's never overheated or overheats, doesn't use coolant fast and no milky oil. Hasn't lost any power either. I'm trying to find out if anything else can cause this. I was told the EGR Cooler can have a leak ,but I can't find a picture of it in manual. It's a DI and was told it had a cooler too but not in pics. Drove for 2hours and not a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

threedogs
26th July 2019, 10:24 AM
Get it tested at a 4x4 shop or radiator place it could be exhaust gas leaking into the coolant.
Id block the egr

GQJay
26th July 2019, 10:34 AM
Done that,1st 4x4 mechanic said couldn't stop bubbles thinks cracked head but had no tester for gases. Went to radiator shop they said same about bubbles, didn't have a gas tester either. ( bit slack if you ask me) . So now look for one that has a tester. Don't know if egr blocked, has other mods. Radiator bloke thought the fuel water separator was a hot water set up. 4 different mechanic shops,still no good mechanic to trust.

threedogs
26th July 2019, 10:37 AM
Bummer eh they need to test your exhaust fumes for coolant.
have they done that, could be a perished hose with a small crack
in it ,

GQJay
26th July 2019, 12:24 PM
Going to get that done.

threedogs
26th July 2019, 01:25 PM
Going to get that done.

It may help catch any problem early
saving you heaps if it needs a head.
Just happened to mine but head was repairable

BillsGU
26th July 2019, 06:47 PM
Ask if they can do a TK test. They use a sucker similar to a battery acid tester. They suck up some water out of the radiator and put a chemical in the bulb that changes colour if there are exhaust gasses present. You could probably get a test kit from SCA or Repco.