PDA

View Full Version : Should I turbo the 4.5 motor in my GU

altech
16th July 2019, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys, my son just rang me, telling me that his mechanic friend that he pop in to his workshop. and after saying that dad has 4.5 gu. he came back to him, I have a complete turbo setup to do changeover. he said just ran it as standard , e.g. 6 psi. should get around 220kws. my ? is there any fuel savings or is all about power regards Alex

MudRunnerTD
16th July 2019, 05:00 PM
I doubt there would be fuel savings but maybe. It will not be working as hard so maybe. It will sing and go very well. Push 13psi or more and she will booty.

MudRunnerTD
16th July 2019, 05:01 PM
More likely you will thrash it cause it's fun though!!!

MudRunnerTD
16th July 2019, 05:01 PM
Send it!!!

04OFF
16th July 2019, 06:18 PM
Id say your asking for a lot of headache, plus extra $$ you will have to outlay to complete the install, then stuffing around with teething problems, extra strain on the drive line etc.

But yeh you should totally do it and post the burnout video.......err i mean pics of the install ;)

jff45
16th July 2019, 06:20 PM
I almost did this 5 or 6 years ago but I’m sure I dodged a bullet. Best decision I made was to pull the engine out and fit a TD42T with my TB45E auto box.

Do some more research, you’ll find that it’s highly recommended to change the conrods. There’s no correct way to do it on the cheap. It will continually cost..

Baby Daddy
17th July 2019, 12:09 AM
I know 2 people that have tb45 turbo sets ups and they swear by them....

As for me i dont really buy it....

They arent the greatest motor to start with... they're big, theyre old, theyre underpowered amd they love to drink...

I just couldnt justify turboing mine as id imagine it would cost morej adding a turbo to an already thirsty vehicle...

As someone else said about it will just start costing you funds you didnt think you needed to spend... the current disi amd coil set up aint the best for turbos if trying to get 220rwkw out of it and i think many go ls coilpacks wuth them...

Not to mention my mate also had to run an aftermarket ecu with his so add 2k for that plus wiring plus another 1500 for dyno on top of eberything else...

I ended up ripping my tb45 out of my gu patrol amd i went something a little different... and it absolutely hammers ;)

altech
17th July 2019, 09:51 AM
I know 2 people that have tb45 turbo sets ups and they swear by them....

As for me i dont really buy it....

They arent the greatest motor to start with... they're big, theyre old, theyre underpowered amd they love to drink...

I just couldnt justify turboing mine as id imagine it would cost morej adding a turbo to an already thirsty vehicle...

As someone else said about it will just start costing you funds you didnt think you needed to spend... the current disi amd coil set up aint the best for turbos if trying to get 220rwkw out of it and i think many go ls coilpacks wuth them...

Not to mention my mate also had to run an aftermarket ecu with his so add 2k for that plus wiring plus another 1500 for dyno on top of eberything else...

I ended up ripping my tb45 out of my gu patrol amd i went something a little different... and it absolutely hammers ;)

All the turbo bits are from already been setup GU 4.5 , will cost me $550 for all that, the ecu you where talking about , the guy has that too which I can get for $1000, he did mention it's 3 grand ecu unit new. So that ready tune/setup to go.
fitting will easy to do at home e.g. should take my Son 2 days. hehe he 37 and still plays with Datsun 1600 and he loves this shit.

Touses
17th July 2019, 10:13 AM
Hi Guys, my son just rang me, telling me that his mechanic friend that he pop in to his workshop. and after saying that dad has 4.5 gu. he came back to him, I have a complete turbo setup to do changeover. he said just ran it as standard , e.g. 6 psi. should get around 220kws. my ? is there any fuel savings or is all about power regards Alex

Don't do things by halves. Go the whole hog, SUPERCHARGER. PeeBee should be able to help you out with any install info.:D
Including the bad language reserved for dealing with suppliers of parts!