PDA

View Full Version : A-pillar tweeter/speaker install

0-TJ-0
3rd July 2019, 07:30 PM
Hi all. Had a bit of a look through old posts and there's a bit of discussion about this but couldn't see anyone who did it and posted results. I'll try keep it short as I know this won't appeal to everyone.

My problem began with a bit of hearing loss from my time in the army which can make it a bit difficult to hear voices with background noise. In the patrol especially I always seem to have the radio/music blaring to hear it properly so it motivated me to go ahead with the tweeter install... like pretty much every new car now has. (Plus I just like my music to sound good)

As some have seen I got these ones in.. love the JBL stuff. Top quality sound IMO.

Decided I wanted them in the A-pillar but didn't know how much clearance there was behind. This was my solution. Bit of balled up al-foil taped in place. Reinstalled and removed to see how far it had squished.. plenty of room!

They came with 3 mounting options but I went with the countersunk one so I worked out my placement.. marked and (holding my breath) holesawed through it.

Needed a couple extra mm out of the hole and to grind the ribs down a touch for the rear nut so just used a carbide bur. Worked a treat.

After that they just slip in with a big nut on the back. I tightened them up good as I could then added a few dobs of hot glue for those rough roads.

Both sides were done the same and came out looking pretty good to me. Not quite as nice as factory but not too much of an eye-sore either.. and sounds brilliant. Brings the voices up so I can hear them :)

Didn't bother writing up the wiring part. Pretty easy that bit.

Now.. just the rear doors to do and they'll all be done.

Plasnart
3rd July 2019, 07:44 PM
Beautiful neat job mate!

0-TJ-0
3rd July 2019, 07:58 PM
Thanks mate! Didn't want them too rough, I have to stare at them everytime I drive it.

MB
3rd July 2019, 08:32 PM
Very nice work indeed O-TJ-O mate, thanks heaps for sharing! Loving the foil distance squish test idea too, fair dinkum ingenious I reckon [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2019, 09:51 PM
I'll come round on the weekend and you can do mine.... nice job

0-TJ-0
3rd July 2019, 10:04 PM
Thanks MB .. probably not real accurate but suited the purpose!

MudRunnerTD no worries! Might cost you more in fuel than it would for the speakers though..

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2019, 10:12 PM
Thanks MB .. probably not real accurate but suited the purpose!

MudRunnerTD no worries! Might cost you more in fuel than it would for the speakers though..

Yeah but the Tunes on the way home would be Fully Sik mate!!!

PeeBee
4th July 2019, 06:22 AM
I can see this as having merit also for UHF radio external speaker. I have one of the external rectangular speakers mounted on the o'head console that sits cross ways directly behind the front seats and it changes the entire volume and clarity you get from the radio, especially in noisy environs. Great job, good write up as well.

0-TJ-0
4th July 2019, 11:16 AM
I can see this as having merit also for UHF radio external speaker. I have one of the external rectangular speakers mounted on the o'head console that sits cross ways directly behind the front seats and it changes the entire volume and clarity you get from the radio, especially in noisy environs. Great job, good write up as well.

Yep. I have one of them mounted up high on the b-pillar right by my ear. I'd recommend that to anyone.

innocent.bystander
5th July 2019, 11:41 AM
Awesome, thanks for the write-up. Great tip with the hot glue!

Cremulator
6th July 2019, 10:21 AM
Great job 0-TJ-0 and a really good write up. That tin foil solution is available great way to gauge depth too. Well done.