PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen these mirrors in use?

macca
8th June 2011, 05:42 PM
My DX ute has manual mirrors and keep getting knocked out of adjustment when in the bush.

Use an umbrella to keep reseting the left one if on my own when I need to reverse or checking the mates are still in convoy. Its a PITA.

Found these things, B hell they are pricey.

http://www.clearviewmirrors.com.au/default.asp

Are they any good?

Are they tough enough for the bush?

Has any one used them?

Do they get hooked up in trackside branches? If they do do they survive?

Ta Macca

molongmick
8th June 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Macca, I ran into the inventor of these mirrors at Penrith caravan show last year. Yeah they are expensive. and at that price you could buy thre or four good clip on mirrors. The advantage from this mirrors from what I can see is that these mirrors are adjustable in many ways.

They replace the original mirrors and use the original electric wiring, so they are fully adjustable. They are a bit larger than the original mirrors, so they give you more viewing to the rear.

When pulled out they have a fair bit of resitance, which is good, as they stay in place once pulled out. They also offered more strength against those gushes of wind from trucks.

I have seriously thought about these myself, but have not yet bought them, the clip on mirrors have not yet given me enough of the poops yet to chuck them away.

NRMA did a review on these about three/four months ago, and from memory is that they said that they were a good idea.

Hope this is of some help.

macca
8th June 2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks Mick, keen to do something as manuals are horible after having electrics for years

DX grunt
8th June 2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks Mick, keen to do something as manuals are horible after having electrics for years

Think of all the extra exercise you get!! lol

I love my DX ute and wouldn't change it for anything.

Rossco
DX grunt

the evil twin
8th June 2011, 11:25 PM

How do the Clearviews help you tho, Macca...

They need the 'existing eleccy wiring and switch panels' to work. You won't have that in a DX will you?

macca
9th June 2011, 07:15 AM
ET im going to have to wire them myself if I get them. They are a hell of a price.

The umbrella thing might have to be the only option, then I can gripe about winding down the manual windows as well, :animierte-smilies-f

Oh well its still a great ute and after having one with all the fruit this is great, easy to clean inside and B All to go wrong.

I bought it on purpose so I better toughen up :icon_driving:

Thanks Rosco for getting me back in focus :Yahoo!:

Macca

DX grunt
9th June 2011, 08:42 AM
I bought it on purpose so I better toughen up :icon_driving:

Thanks Rosco for getting me back in focus :Yahoo!:

Macca

That's right Macca. Toughen up!!! lol

Electric mirrors, electric windows, heated seats and floor mats, back window wiper. When's it gunna stop? lol

DX's are BM's - basic models. lol. Hose in, hose out.

Onya Macca.

Silver
9th June 2011, 09:15 AM
Aldi are selling a reversing camera and GPS for $149 from tomorrow :-) Not the same as good mirrors, I know!

macca
6th August 2011, 06:18 PM
Saw these at a show yesterday, they are HUGE and stick out way too far.
Never get them in the garage!!!
Didn't bother asking a price.
Made for caravanners by the look of them
Macca

Bigrig
6th August 2011, 07:25 PM
Macca

That big??!! I think the old man just bought a set for his GU (has a 21 foot van) so must find out what he reckons ... he was talking about it yonks ago, but never did it, but is off on another trek currently and think he was getting them for this one ...

macca
6th August 2011, 07:31 PM
They would be 3 times???? the size of whats there now and stick out another 100mm, then you can extend them further!!!!

molongmick
6th August 2011, 10:43 PM
Macca

last time i checked, I think they were around the $600 mark

macca
9th August 2011, 07:06 AM
Bought these on eBay last night, got them cheap enough to fit extensions and have a go at adapting them to my situation

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220823057069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will be an interesting project

Macca

Bigrig
9th August 2011, 07:40 AM
Bought these on eBay last night, got them cheap enough to fit extensions and have a go at adapting them to my situation

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220823057069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will be an interesting project

Macca

Have you got electric ones now?? If so, the change over will be straight forward - if not, do you intend to try to wire them up? Be interested to read that one as I'm hopeless with auto elecs!

macca
9th August 2011, 10:18 AM
No mate, will have to wire them in when I get them. Need to find a control switch as well.
Havn't started looking for one yet.
Keep you all posted when I get started.
Macca

nowoolies
9th August 2011, 10:44 AM
a mate fitted them to his f truck
so far no problems and he spends heaps off road

macca
10th September 2011, 09:11 PM
Got some mirrors and a genuine switch, had to wire them all in as a DX is not prewired, deciphering the switch was interesting.
Then found they were not out wide enough so had some ally spacers made, had them "shaped" so the mirror was still horozontal which made the mount holes too high, then made an adaptor plate and all is sweet. Very happy with the final result.
Some pics for those who must see for themselves :049:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan%20builds/IMG_3220.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan%20builds/IMG_3219.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan%20builds/IMG_3218.jpg

Woof
10th September 2011, 09:26 PM
Great job there Macca, may have to get me a set of them..

macca
10th September 2011, 09:35 PM
Doggy if you do and need the switch diagram I kept it for future reference. Might be handy for you.
Macca

macca
10th September 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks Plassnart and Dogman, going for a wee drive next week, 1050klm on 1st day to Vic then stopping in Canberra overnight to have a look a the national museum on the way home, Monday.
Will be a lot better to have servicable mirrors.
Be a good run for the MacTrol
Macca

Clunk
10th September 2011, 09:56 PM
good work there macca, will be alot easier thatn trying to lean over the seats to reach the other side

luxo barge
11th September 2011, 03:50 PM
Bloke at work has these on his 100 cruiser, and I can't say they stand out too much compared to standard. He has the chrome version and swears by em.

macca
11th September 2011, 06:32 PM
Luxo they are good but are very tall, worried about blind spots. And they were way too expensive.
Really like the concept of sliding in and out, clever.
Would have suited my ute but found the OEM electrics on eBay so thats where I ended up.
Macca