PDA

View Full Version : Food grade paint.

mudski
27th June 2019, 08:52 PM
So my camping hotplate that I've have for over 20 years finally needs some tlc. Its a pressed metal plate. The paint has finally burnt off in one section. I'd love to strip it back and repaint it, but finding the paint seems harder than I thought. Not one bbq or woodfire shop I've been to sell any such thing. They've all said to throw it out and just buy a new one. Not what I want to do.
Anyone know where I could get food grade paint?

Avo
27th June 2019, 09:03 PM
I wonder if those blokes that make smokers n stuff could tell ya mate
Westy made a smoker or 2 me thinks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudski
27th June 2019, 09:28 PM
I wonder if those blokes that make smokers n stuff could tell ya mate
Westy made a smoker or 2 me thinks

Yeah not sure. Can, or do they cook food directly on the metal of the smoker though?

MB
27th June 2019, 09:35 PM
Honestly Mark mate, personally never heard of food grade paint, not to say it aint so. What’s wrong with stripping it back to raw steel and oiling/flavouring the shiat out of it?
Just thinking it can’t be good if its original ‘coating’ has started leaving its host, the steel !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plasnart
27th June 2019, 09:58 PM
Honestly Mark mate, personally never heard of food grade paint, not to say it aint so. What’s wrong with stripping it back to raw steel and oiling/flavouring the shiat out of it?
Just thinking it can’t be good if its original ‘coating’ has started leaving its host, the steel !

Fully aboard here. Painted cooking surface? Never heard of it. Go seasoned only I say.

mudski
27th June 2019, 10:05 PM
It’s a pressed steel plate. I can’t season it as nothing will stick to it. If it was cast that would be easy to season.
Surely there is a food grade paint though. I can by a black painted steel frypan from anywhere. So surely there’s something.

Avo
27th June 2019, 10:35 PM
It’s a pressed steel plate. I can’t season it as nothing will stick to it. If it was cast that would be easy to season.
Surely there is a food grade paint though. I can by a black painted steel frypan from anywhere. So surely there’s something.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCan ya get it plated,or teflon coat somewhere

MB
27th June 2019, 10:54 PM
Let’s just call it ‘Raw’ pressed steel then possibly family health mate?
I have plenty of sheet metal woks/skillets & spun steel davesstuff pots that aren’t cast! Still tasty treats cooked on em [emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
28th June 2019, 06:43 AM
Mark, 30 years in the food industry , processing and manufacturing - there aint no such thing that I know about. For a start, there isn't a paint that will withstand a flame from a fire - it would need to be a ceramic enamel or similar. Ceramic enamels do last but they are hard and brittle and the slightest crack and they delaminate.Teflon burns at 400 degC, which is why they last at home with our cookers around the 250 max, but fires can get over 600 Deg c from my measurements during the R&D phase of the Pizza Oven. You are better off with a raw surface for campfires and oil it before and after use.

mudski
28th June 2019, 08:12 AM
Righto then. I will just strip it back and keep it oiled. The plate I have I doubt its ceramic coated purely because of its age. It could be but I dunno. I just assumed you could buy a paint and be done with it, especially when two different shops said to get food grade paint. I was like huh? at the first shop, then the second said it. I thought there must be something then.

Thanks guys.

PeeBee
28th June 2019, 08:30 AM
There are high temp paints for engine blocks etc but you can't eat off them. To be a food contact rated surface there must be no chance of chemical transfer to the food. The surface must also be cleanable and crevice free and generally must have a very high tolerance to chemical cleaning agents.

mudski
28th June 2019, 08:51 AM
There are high temp paints for engine blocks etc but you can't eat off them. To be a food contact rated surface there must be no chance of chemical transfer to the food. The surface must also be cleanable and crevice free and generally must have a very high tolerance to chemical cleaning agents.

Cleaning? Eh! Its a camp bbq hotplate. Haha! We just leave the crap on it for the next camp trip. Adds to the flavour.

Thanks Phil. My plate had to be painted with something when it was made. Not sure what or how. I'll just strip it back and oil it up. Just means it cannot get wet at all when camping.

Avo
30th June 2019, 07:22 PM
Cleaning? Eh! Its a camp bbq hotplate. Haha! We just leave the crap on it for the next camp trip. Adds to the flavour.

Thanks Phil. My plate had to be painted with something when it was made. Not sure what or how. I'll just strip it back and oil it up. Just means it cannot get wet at all when camping.If your camping it should be covered in bacon n oil
3asy as fella

MB
1st July 2019, 05:29 PM
Never trust a Parks O Vic turd plate either mate! Much hygienically safer river rock seasoning atop of Nymph juices and betterer for your guts than paint :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/07/2.jpg
Disclaimer: Rocks may be subject to sedimentary air pocket explosions ;-) !

Avo
2nd July 2019, 08:57 PM
Never trust a Parks O Vic turd plate either mate! Much hygienically safer river rock seasoning atop of Nymph juices and betterer for your guts than paint :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/07/2.jpg
Disclaimer: Rocks may be subject to sedimentary air pocket explosions ;-) !

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWe use to have a teflon roll

NissanGQ4.2
3rd July 2019, 05:48 PM

I'm with you on this one, my home bbq is left dirty until I cook on it again and then clean it off with the rat poo at the same time, if I'm after extra flavor I don't bother cleaning it

mudski
3rd July 2019, 09:11 PM
I'm with you on this one, my home bbq is left dirty until I cook on it again and then clean it off with the rat poo at the same time, if I'm after extra flavor I don't bother cleaning it

If you get the plate hot enough the rat poo just turns into like pepper corns. They make you eyes go a bit funny when you crunch into one. :D