PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what this is (catch can?)

Declan
18th June 2019, 09:32 PM
new owner of a 2002 Td42 coil cab probably a stupid and obvious question but I have been looking through my manual but I can’t find this catch can looking thing in the book as seen in the photos. Is it a aftermarket catch can? If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated

Declan
18th June 2019, 09:35 PM

Yeti's Beast
18th June 2019, 09:50 PM

It’s a vacuum canister. Don’t touch!

Proud BTrol Owner
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mudski
18th June 2019, 09:55 PM
As above. They are vacuum tanks. They hold vacuum in them for your brakes and clutch as the vacuum pump alone is not enough. So vacuum is stored in them pretty much.

Yeti's Beast
18th June 2019, 09:58 PM
As above. They are vacuum tanks. They hold vacuum in them for your brakes and clutch as the vacuum pump alone is not enough. So vacuum is stored in them pretty much.

For some reason they were on pre 2003 models only. Must of changed something in series 3.
They also have a small canister for the valve in the throttle body. Again series 3 on didn’t have it

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
18th June 2019, 10:19 PM
For some reason they were on pre 2003 models only. Must of changed something in series 3.
They also have a small canister for the valve in the throttle body. Again series 3 on didn’t have it

Proud BTrol Owner

Yeah not sure why. They might have changed the style of the vacuum pump or something. Or just worked out the tanks wern't really needed...

Yeti's Beast
18th June 2019, 10:23 PM
Yeah not sure why. They might have changed the style of the vacuum pump or something. Or just worked out the tanks wern't really needed...

I blanked the Egr thanks to the part supplied by mudski and removed the Swirl valve while I was at it and blocked off the vac pipe going to it.
My mate has a 2000 model and we can’t work out why both cars have different vacuum systems.

Proud BTrol Owner

MB
18th June 2019, 11:03 PM
Not sure what motors everyone’s trucks above are running and or previous to conversions etc... I can only nuffy assume that from quite a few owned 1999-2002 4.2 diesels always same factory twin cannisters must’ve required extra vacuum storage found by Mr Nissan too late? Petrols and quite possibly 3.0L diesels possibly had enough suck for one cannister only maybe to meet ADR’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Declan
19th June 2019, 08:00 PM
Thanks so much guys that makes much more sense!

dpetersen
23rd June 2019, 09:03 PM

Proud BTrol Owner

Mines a series iv, 4.2 tdi and it’s got one

mudski
23rd June 2019, 09:05 PM
Mines a series iv, 4.2 tdi and it’s got one

Yeah. Hodge has these tanks on his GUIV.

drgtr
24th June 2019, 08:11 PM
Same here 2003 td42ti wagon and I have one too.

Still sad though because successive pumps when car idle it still goes stiffer. I know our clutches are huge and I assume the hydraulic isnt enough but surely theres got to be a better way? lol

Yeti's Beast
24th June 2019, 08:25 PM

Still sad though because successive pumps when car idle it still goes stiffer. I know our clutches are huge and I assume the hydraulic isnt enough but surely theres got to be a better way? lol

Same , my old GU3 ZD has one and my clutch was the same and was worse after installing a single mass clutch. I even replaced all the hydraulics with little improvements

mudski
25th June 2019, 08:17 AM

Why is that sad? There's no need for successive pumps of the clutch or brake pedal unless your bleeding the system. Its normal really, diesels just dont produce the amount of vacuum like a petty motor can. The system works, and works as it was designed too.
If you want better vacuum, run a GQ alternator with a vac pump which has a vacuum pump on the back of it and then you have two vacuum supplies. Yes you probably wont run out of vacuum with successive pumps but there wont be any real advantage.

drgtr
25th June 2019, 09:55 AM
Why is that sad? There's no need for successive pumps of the clutch or brake pedal unless your bleeding the system. Its normal really, diesels just dont produce the amount of vacuum like a petty motor can. The system works, and works as it was designed too.
If you want better vacuum, run a GQ alternator with a vac pump which has a vacuum pump on the back of it and then you have two vacuum supplies. Yes you probably wont run out of vacuum with successive pumps but there wont be any real advantage.

Offroading, rock climbing, offroading. Clutch in and out. Not a deal breaker but nevertheless.

drgtr
25th June 2019, 10:09 AM

on a td42ti can I actually do that? Is it a straight bolt on and plug in? lol that would be great

mudski
25th June 2019, 01:48 PM
Offroading, rock climbing, offroading. Clutch in and out. Not a deal breaker but nevertheless.

Ive done all that plenty of times and never run out of vacuum.

on a td42ti can I actually do that? Is it a straight bolt on and plug in? lol that would be great
Yeah man. The GQ alternator runs a vac pump on the back of it. Just run this and simply T it in to the vac supply line thats already there.

drgtr
25th June 2019, 02:06 PM
Ive done all that plenty of times and never run out of vacuum.

Yeah man. The GQ alternator runs a vac pump on the back of it. Just run this and simply T it in to the vac supply line thats already there.

You sir a legend. Best thing I heard all day. thank you

because these earlier alternators with the vacuum pump are cheaper too!

MB
25th June 2019, 09:59 PM
mudski good mate! Are you sure that a GQ alternator with rear vac pump can bolt onto a GU like our stocky wagon?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/135.jpg
Do have a GQ custom 170amp on my 6.5NA ute up top with vac needed and was hoping to swap it across oneday.
Chev diesel will get a birfday eventually of serious alt and elecy vacuum.

mudski
25th June 2019, 10:18 PM
mudski good mate! Are you sure that a GQ alternator with rear vac pump can bolt onto a GU like our stocky wagon?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/06/135.jpg
Do have a GQ custom 170amp on my 6.5NA ute up top with vac needed and was hoping to swap it across oneday.
Chev diesel will get a birfday eventually of serious alt and elecy vacuum.

Now you got me thinking MB. It was a while back I did see a GU with a GQ alternator on it at JPC's workshop, was a blacktop too. At worst you'd have to use different alternator mounts if needed or are different.

Winnie
25th June 2019, 10:38 PM
Now you got me thinking MB. It was a while back I did see a GU with a GQ alternator on it at JPC's workshop, was a blacktop too. At worst you'd have to use different alternator mounts if needed or are different.Pretty sure the brackets are the same you would just have to sort out plumbing for the oil feed to the vac pump.
I am running the GQ alternator on my GU TD42Ti engine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MB
25th June 2019, 10:49 PM
In a GQ Chrisso mate?

Winnie
25th June 2019, 11:34 PM
In a GQ Chrisso mate?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah it is. AB is running the same setup in his GQ as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

drgtr
26th June 2019, 08:45 PM
Is it just me or is this guy running double vacuum Canister? My car only has one?. I see two

mudski
26th June 2019, 08:48 PM
Is it just me or is this guy running double vacuum Canister? My car only has one?. I see two

Yeah possibly. I got two. More vacuum to hold the better. But there’s clearly two in that pic.