PDA

View Full Version : Sudden excessive fuel consumption

GQtdauto
16th June 2019, 11:19 AM
Started the trip getting around 18 litres per hundred which was the best we normally get but the next fuel stop it had jumped to 30 litres per hundred , did have a whistling noise which I found to be a loose bolt on the turbo to intake manifold but tightening it up never improved anything other than the noise disappeared .
Air filter new ,fuel filter new and I'm stuffed as to what it could be but might have to cut the trip short if I can only get 300 kilometres to a tank .
At Woomera now so going to drive at 90 Kay's an hour till the next fuel stop and see if it makes any difference .

Anyone have any idea of what could be going on ?

Bidja
16th June 2019, 06:42 PM
GQtdauto mate give this a bump for you. Did Fuel usage drop @ 90kph?

0-TJ-0
16th June 2019, 08:56 PM
Have no idea without looking at it. Don't wanna tell you how to suck eggs but have a good look over everything. Check all your clamps are tight on the pressure side of your turbo. Vacuum lines. Even check you don't have a fuel leak with those kind of figures.

Maybe even had a bad batch of fuel?

MB
16th June 2019, 09:19 PM
Anything possibly amiss on your trailer if on tow too Rob mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
16th June 2019, 11:04 PM
Could be simple as tyre pressures, a loose wire, dirty sensor, or a combination of a few things.

GQtdauto
17th June 2019, 10:59 AM
Fuel consumption has dropped back to normal if I drive at grey Nomad speed ,tyre pressures good at 40psi ,checked all brakes for heat all cool , absolutely nothing out of the ordinary except that first fuel stop with overly frothy fuel .
Will double check with the mechanic here at Coober pedy it seems I've brought Victoriastans weather with me .
Thanks for all the help if I can't get it sorted I'll just drive at 90k no big deal and half the trip will be on outback desert tracks so won't even be going that fast .

threedogs
17th June 2019, 12:09 PM
Fuel consumption has dropped back to normal if I drive at grey Nomad speed ,tyre pressures good at 40psi ,checked all brakes for heat all cool , absolutely nothing out of the ordinary except that first fuel stop with overly frothy fuel .
Will double check with the mechanic here at Coober pedy it seems I've brought Victoriastans weather with me .
Thanks for all the help if I can't get it sorted I'll just drive at 90k no big deal and half the trip will be on outback desert tracks so won't even be going that fast .

Not good at all , without seeing it my guess would be perished vacuum hoses.
For it to be so instant it has to be something easy ha ha, well I hope it is

0-TJ-0
17th June 2019, 05:52 PM

The Stuart Highway is one of the thirstiest sealed roads I've ever driven on between Port Augusta and Coober in my experiance. I'm nearly always 4-5ltrs above average on that section with no change in driving (cruise all the way).

GQtdauto
21st June 2019, 02:23 PM
After changing out fuel filters all is good but that mechanic at Coober Pedy was a bit weird , all he wanted to do was cuddle my tyres .
Just got to the rock and obtained my permit for the Great central road which was free for both permits and I get free entry to see the rock and the olgas again ,bit of a scam there really just get a permit and get free entry .
Quick photo of me getting in touch with my feminine side .And a broken down Toyota hidden behind some sand dunes .

0-TJ-0
21st June 2019, 02:51 PM
Everyone is a bit weird at Coober.. half the appeal of the place haha. Glad you got it sorted 👍