PDA

View Full Version : Was going to put 35s on but unsure

First Pooy
28th May 2019, 10:02 AM
I was wanting 35s on and I was just going to risk being caught,buy paying a fine and having to chang equipment and less braking is one thing, but what I did'nt think of is the leagal implications of causing the death of someone and being charged or having to pay heafty medical bills, so I know people just chance that it will not happen to them but knowing my luck it might happen to me so what are peoples thoughts ?

10G
28th May 2019, 10:16 AM
If you're worried about it then just don't do it. You've answered your own question I think.

As far as I'm concerned bigger tyres have 2 benefits only, 1) they look good, 2) they give more clearance. Some people may dispute point 1.

Cuppa
28th May 2019, 10:42 AM
Plenty of folk do put bigger tyres on, often combined with illegal lifts, but the insurance companies know that. If you get unlucky & have an accident you can bet that tyre size (& lift height) will be something which comes under scrutiny as a simple matter of routine. If the insurance company say "your bigger tyres contributed to the accident (& they most likely will) it will be up to you to try to prove different. This alone could cost thousands & fail. But this amount would pale into insignificance if you have to spend the rest of your life paying for someones death or permanent disability.

Another aspect is that whilst the extra ground clearance gained from bigger tyres is tempting, & useful in rocky country, if used in wet & muddy conditions is IMHO a selfish & antisocial thing to do. It simply ends up making deeper ruts which anyone with legal tyres cannot manage.

Having a set of bigger tyres, carried & fitted at the off road venue is probably the most sensible solution, but a real pain in the proverbial, so many just fit them when heading off on a 4wd outing & drive extra cautiously whilst on their way to the off road venue to mitigate the risk. But no-one plans to have an accident. Having them fitted permanently just to look 'tough' is foolish in my book. If a 4wd injured or killed anyone I love you can be sure I'd be looking to see if they had illegal mods which potentially affected braking or stability.

I don't expect this view to be shared by all & some may argue that it's possible to be safe, maintaining adequate braking & stability, whilst having these mods. Regardless of this they still run the legal risk, not of being caught, but of what happens to their lives if things do go pear shaped.

First Pooy
28th May 2019, 12:24 PM
Plenty of folk do put bigger tyres on, often combined with illegal lifts, but the insurance companies know that. If you get unlucky & have an accident you can bet that tyre size (& lift height) will be something which comes under scrutiny as a simple matter of routine. If the insurance company say "your bigger tyres contributed to the accident (& they most likely will) it will be up to you to try to prove different. This alone could cost thousands & fail. But this amount would pale into insignificance if you have to spend the rest of your life paying for someones death or permanent disability.

Another aspect is that whilst the extra ground clearance gained from bigger tyres is tempting, & useful in rocky country, if used in wet & muddy conditions is IMHO a selfish & antisocial thing to do. It simply ends up making deeper ruts which anyone with legal tyres cannot manage.

Having a set of bigger tyres, carried & fitted at the off road venue is probably the most sensible solution, but a real pain in the proverbial, so many just fit them when heading off on a 4wd outing & drive extra cautiously whilst on their way to the off road venue to mitigate the risk. But no-one plans to have an accident. Having them fitted permanently just to look 'tough' is foolish in my book. If a 4wd injured or killed anyone I love you can be sure I'd be looking to see if they had illegal mods which potentially affected braking or stability.

I don't expect this view to be shared by all & some may argue that it's possible to be safe, maintaining adequate braking & stability, whilst having these mods. Regardless of this they still run the legal risk, not of being caught, but of what happens to their lives if things do go pear shaped.

Thanks for taking the time for a good relpy, this why I asked for opinions popular or not

jay see
28th May 2019, 08:49 PM
Remeber dargo @AB. First thing the boys in blue look at, even before you stop.

That was the last time I had 35s on. Not worth it' been a daily.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

AB
28th May 2019, 09:05 PM
I have a legal stock Gq Ute work car and a Wagon fun Gq with 35” tyres and a decent 2” OME lift, gu diffs and brakes. Hands down my wagon is a much safer vehicle to drive but rules are rules unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
29th May 2019, 07:28 PM
You might get away with 315s not 100% sure though

Winnie
29th May 2019, 07:35 PM
You might get away with 315s not 100% sure thoughNah they are just the same as 35s.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bazzaboy
31st May 2019, 08:29 AM
IMO, in reality, a good set of 33" will get you most places that 35" will go, and still be legal, and also save you a bit of money.

First Pooy
31st May 2019, 05:28 PM
IMO, in reality, a good set of 33" will get you most places that 35" will go, and still be legal, and also save you a bit of money.

I was reading that a set of 33s with lockers are as good as a set of 35s and then it would be leagal

Winnie
31st May 2019, 05:46 PM
I was reading that a set of 33s with lockers are as good as a set of 35s and then it would be leagalYou still won't have the diff clearance that you will get with 35s. But if I had to choose between locked on 33s and unlocked on 35s I'd go with the locker every day.

PeeBee
31st May 2019, 06:04 PM
You still won't have the diff clearance that you will get with 35s. But if I had to choose between locked on 33s and unlocked on 35s I'd go with the locker every day.

100%, on that HC trip we did Winnie I came to a complete stop twice, with a thump, on brand new 33's and twin lockers. If the diff height is less than the obstacle height you will hit, simples!!! In Vic there are two ways to get a 35" legal setup - first is purchase a set of Portal Axles and get the eng cert done by Marks 4x4 but not for a GQ - for a GQ add 6k for additional certification costs; second way is get your vehicle assessed by an automotive engineer, not a VASS engineer and take your chances if you get pulled up as the Vic Police can challenge the certification by any engineer other than a VASS engineer - unsure about other states.

First Pooy
31st May 2019, 06:08 PM
I keep wrestling with what I want and what is legal, so it looks like I will go with a enginered 3 inch lift with 33s on and a locker in the future I keep going around with this I see people with 4 inch and I want that but I suppose I better be smart about it

PeeBee
31st May 2019, 06:25 PM
I keep wrestling with what I want and what is legal, so it looks like I will go with a enginered 3 inch lift with 33s on and a locker in the future I keep going around with this I see people with 4 inch and I want that but I suppose I better be smart about it

In Vic the 'rules' state 3" total lift being a combo of tyres and springs. You cant go 3" on the springs an 1" on the tyres and stay legal, so a good quality 2" lift and a set of 33's is your limit. A Vass Engineer simply wont sign off on it. Mind you maybe you will get away with it as long as the vehicle looks in proportion, and you never get picked up?

First Pooy
31st May 2019, 07:10 PM
Well we have a new rule in QLD we can now get a certified 3 inch lift with 33s on

Ben-e-boy
31st May 2019, 07:13 PM

If you keep wrestling with an Idea, have road tyres (legal) and play tyres, (37's on a 17 inch rim) modify the guards properly to fit the play tyre and shave the Diff.
Diff shaving can give an inch of clearance. So, in theory you'll have a legal 2 inch suspension lift with legal daily tyres and with the offroad only tyres you'll have diff clearance equivalent of a 39 inch tyre and a sill (or overall lift) clearance equivalent of 4 inch and 35's.

PeeBee
31st May 2019, 07:16 PM
Well we have a new rule in QLD we can now get a certified 3 inch lift with 33s on

Thanks, I hope this gets adopted across the country if the states ever agree on a uniform set of rules.

First Pooy
31st May 2019, 07:25 PM
Thanks, I hope this gets adopted across the country if the states ever agree on a uniform set of rules.

Well it is doable because supior engineering replace everything underneath for 11k and certified lol