PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws

katwoman
19th May 2019, 06:47 PM
Looking at trading up from my mini boss to the husky 435 e series. Want something slightly bigger but not too big that I can’t handle. Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
19th May 2019, 07:13 PM
Rossco your time to shine mate!
Can't comment on the Husky Kat but I've got the Stihl MS461 and it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. I will pass that saw onto my kids

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/260.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/261.jpg

Hodge
19th May 2019, 07:16 PM
Watching this with interest. Looking to upgrade my $120 Aldi saw to a real deal lol.

Rossco
19th May 2019, 07:44 PM
Yeah unfortunately a Stihl man so can't comment on Huskies, not anything nice lol. Nah just like Ford & Holden both have their merits. Can't beat Stihl for parts & service backup the rest is up for debate around the fire. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rossco
19th May 2019, 07:48 PM
Yeah love the 460 all round beast reliable as the sun coming up. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/262.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
19th May 2019, 07:49 PM
Horses for courses Kat, not much different between asking someone Holden or Ford, Nissan or Toyota

I have an older Husky 372XP, its got balls but weights a bit compared 2 the newer and smaller ones. With tennis elbow and bursitis of the shoulder I actually dread been on the end of it these days and have thought on a few occasions of trading it in on something smaller and yes always having a Husky I would still consider a Stihl.

What do you mainly use it for?

I'm not sold on electric chainsaws yet but maybe something 2 consider also

AB
19th May 2019, 08:10 PM
MB will sort you out Kat

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/263.jpg

Rossco
19th May 2019, 08:19 PM
MB will sort you out Kat

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPerfect for a bit of firewood collection and light pruning. . .

katwoman
19th May 2019, 08:59 PM
Horses for courses Kat, not much different between asking someone Holden or Ford, Nissan or Toyota

I have an older Husky 372XP, its got balls but weights a bit compared 2 the newer and smaller ones. With tennis elbow and bursitis of the shoulder I actually dread been on the end of it these days and have thought on a few occasions of trading it in on something smaller and yes always having a Husky I would still consider a Stihl.

What do you mainly use it for?

I'm not sold on electric chainsaws yet but maybe something 2 consider also

Love my $250 mini boss but after 9 years it’s costing more than a new one. We run 4 wood heaters, so firewood mostly. But we both hate splitting wood with stuffed backs and necks we can’t, so the wood we cut isn’t huge. The size of the mini boss is good for camping tho. I’m mainly looking at huskies cos they have a blower thingy that blows sawdust away from the air filter, stihl does not. But neither have pink. [emoji22]

Have also considered battery operated ?

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2019, 09:04 PM
Love my $250 mini boss but after 9 years it’s costing more than a new one. We run 4 wood heaters, so firewood mostly. But we both hate splitting wood with stuffed backs and necks we can’t, so the wood we cut isn’t huge. The size of the mini boss is good for camping tho. I’m mainly looking at huskies cos they have a blower thingy that blows sawdust away from the air filter, stihl does not. But neither have pink. [emoji22]

Have also considered battery operated ?

You need a Splitter. Winnie and matfew can give you advice on a splitter. That one that Roofy has is a rippa too. Made light work of it.

MB
19th May 2019, 09:47 PM
Honestly Kat Mate, we have a few varying size saws for different applications including milling with 880s & 660s.
I truly believe the 460 size is a bit too heavy as a daily around the block for my whithering chicken legs now 40++ :-)

mudnut
19th May 2019, 09:54 PM
Always liked the Stihl. Got one that has been going well since back in '95.

katwoman
19th May 2019, 10:32 PM
Steve has his dads jonsered which is a hundred years old, but big and heavy. His f$@&ed neck can’t handle it. I’m hoping in finding something between my mini boss and his ‘big boy’ saw. And I still want pink
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/264.jpg

MB
20th May 2019, 12:20 AM
Finally found a PDF linky for you Kat, best I believe like Rossco to visit a local backup Stihl dealer nearby and get the on hands hold for what suits your liking/feel/needs.
https://m.stihl.com.au/static/stihl-full-range-catalogue.pdf
Mind you if a Husky dealer is by chance closest then why not as they apparently start after 1 crank instead of our 2 , traditional Husky users honestly say.
Little 171’s are super light cool with a carving bar that needs serious tension observation during work and are awesome cheap with their 14” stock bar.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/265.jpg
My personal MS381 is the best all round saw I honestly reckon we own, handles a 24” bar no problems wisely used too[emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/266.jpg

Rossco
20th May 2019, 07:12 AM
I truly believe the 460 size is a bit too heavy as a daily around the block for my whithering chicken legs now 40++ :-)

Yes do agree and wasnt really making a recommendation for Kats situation. If I can make any Stihl recommendations worth having a look at a MS261, great little saw in the small to mid size range. It is a pro saw and will cost more than a domestic saw but you can see where the money goes, they are built to run all day every day. Might be overkill for a domestic application but worth it I think & will last forever.

Otherwise have a look at Huskies, sure it will treat you well just can't give any advice on them. As for battery power for firewood collection don't think the run time is up there where it's generally flat out cutting could be proven wrong tho. Do have some good advantages especially camping / touring where you don't have to carry fuel and lower maintenance. Probably the best thing to do with a 2 strokes is to use it often things don't like to sit to long.

Maxhead
20th May 2019, 07:37 AM
Finally found a PDF linky for you Kat, best I believe like Rossco to visit a local backup Stihl dealer nearby and get the on hands hold for what suits your liking/feel/needs.
https://m.stihl.com.au/static/stihl-full-range-catalogue.pdf
Mind you if a Husky dealer is by chance closest then why not as they apparently start after 1 crank instead of our 2 , traditional Husky users honestly say.
Little 171’s are super light cool with a carving bar that needs serious tension observation during work and are awesome cheap with their 14” stock bar.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/265.jpg
My personal MS381 is the best all round saw I honestly reckon we own, handles a 24” bar no problems wisely used too[emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/266.jpg

I have to agree the 381 is a weapon of a saw, has not let me down in any way and I have thrown some big wood at it. The little 171 goes like a pisser for its size too.

Mind you I’ve had the husky 235 for about 20 years and it’s never missed a beat and done shit loads of cutting...
Unfortunately none of them come in pink[emoji23]

PeeBee
20th May 2019, 07:44 AM
Kat, I have 6 Stihl saws, ranging from 009. 009L 231 and an old 066. I find the 009 is a great top handle saw that you can cut all day with on logs up to 12" and its reliable as hell, but no longer avail to buy - was a pro saw in its day. I have 2, 009L which are the same config but slightly bigger capacity and same as the 009, cut with all day and will handle green timber better than the the 009, more torque. The 231 is 40Cc from memory and is my go to saw for camping running a 16" bar. Great power, very reliable, will cut in the heat and start everytime even when its smoking hot. The 066 has a number of bars from 16" to 36". I typically run it with the 16" only because when you front up to some old redgum tree it has the grunt to do the job, but to be honest, its too heavy for me as a long hourly use saw and boy does it drink the fuel. I would definitely not recommend a saw with the twist wheel chain adjuster, go the bar lock nuts every time. I have used my brothers 231L with this quick adjuster and hate it, fiddly and has broken once - could have been poor maintenance, and some people love them, but I will just say that none of the semi pro to pro stihl models run this config, so perhaps thats enough said. I understand the Husq's are also up there and may even surpass the Stihl. I found the Husq. a little heavier at times than the stihl on a comparative model basis - might be they use more alloy than plastic. I have destroyed 3 009 saws over the years and none the wiser why as each saw goes to the dealer after the equivalent of 3 trailer loads of wood for a service and I get great reliability, but its a bit dear at time. I have also owned an Echo saw, was the 60cc twin cylinder model - smooth as silk totally vibration free, but not a populare saw in the day and now discontinued. I sold it when Echo stopped supporting it with parts. Very heavy saw though. I have had great service out of the 231 and if I was to replace it would go to the 251 which is 45cc and this would probably be my best combo for a saw that will cut well and have some in reserve without breaking the back. Hope this helps.

PeeBee
20th May 2019, 08:11 AM
I also have one of the Makita 36V battery saws. Great little saw, will happily cut say 100 - 125mm hardwood, but you cant push it, or the battery life suffers badly. I have 2 batteries for the saw in use and 6 spares, plus carry the charger just in case. Its a great little saw for a couple of nights camp fire wood collection, spectacular in the snow as mo hassles getting it to start forst thing in the morning after its been freezing over night, light weight, cheap chains, highly rate it as the back up for a weekend camp saw and back up to the 231 on 4wd trips. I think stevec first mentioned it for use on his remote trips. WE used it with success on a really tight set of tracks last year trying to fit MB barge through the bush and its so light and easy to handle that its akin to a pruning saw perhaps. I looked at the Stihl rechargeable but the price was twice the makita at least and couldn't justify it based on the amount of use it would get. I understand the Stihl rechargeable is very popular for contractors doing maintenance works around nursing homes and hospitals.

katwoman
20th May 2019, 08:45 AM
Thanks heaps. Was only looking at husky cos my local stihl dealer is a d!ck. The one I’m looking at has the 16 inch bar, bigger teeth on the chain and slightly bigger motor but still only weighs 4.4 kg. I’ll keep comparing.

Rossco
20th May 2019, 09:07 AM
Which Stihl shop you go to Kat?

Winnie
20th May 2019, 09:13 AM
Thanks heaps. Was only looking at husky cos my local stihl dealer is a d!ck. The one I’m looking at has the 16 inch bar, bigger teeth on the chain and slightly bigger motor but still only weighs 4.4 kg. I’ll keep comparing.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI can highly recommend VC Traders in Warragul, I buy all my gear there and the guys and girls that work there are awesome!
I've never used them but know a few people who do but apparently Morley's in Traralgon are really good too.

Rossco
20th May 2019, 09:26 AM
Yeah we use Morleys find them good although their workshop turnaround is a bit sometimes but can't help that when your busy i guess. .

katwoman
20th May 2019, 12:35 PM
Usually morleys. Not a fan. The guy at central mowers in mwell was pretty good.

Rossco
20th May 2019, 12:53 PM
Yeah fair enough don't deal with them personally, lucky got an awesome stihl shop up our neck of the woods. As mentioned by Phil would avoid the quick tensioner they're not very robust can't beat old school. Do have to say can't stand Huskies system for the chain tensioner is a PITA . .

NissanGQ4.2
20th May 2019, 07:31 PM
MB will sort you out Kat

Holy shit that's a big bar he has *L*

threedogs
21st May 2019, 08:52 AM
Watching this with interest. Looking to upgrade my $120 Aldi saw to a real deal lol.

I have a mate who is an instructor on chain saws.
Id be ditching that Aldi one for a sthil, I think they have a sale on ATM.
Check out their shop next time youre in the Sydney Rd area.
Those Aldi have a poor drive sprocket design, If I had a choice Id go a small Sthil then a Huskie
Stay clear from those Baurm chinese Sthil copies. Cheap but nasty IMO

MB
21st May 2019, 02:45 PM
Might be another good option below Kat as per Rossco’s 261 small-mid size advice.
Forgot we purchased an MS241C late last year for the boys up in our coupe dropping up to 300mm diameter Sugargum & Ironbark.
No complaints or breakdowns so far and it generally goes hard for 2 days straight once a week.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/288.jpg

PeeBee
21st May 2019, 03:11 PM
How are they getting on with the auto adjuster mark? This is the option I referred to in an earlier post that has been problematic for me in the past.

Winnie
21st May 2019, 03:35 PM
How are they getting on with the auto adjuster mark? This is the option I referred to in an earlier post that has been problematic for me in the past.The MS241 is the smallest in the professional range, it has the standard adjusting system and not the plastic ratchet style.

Hodge
21st May 2019, 03:38 PM
I have a mate who is an instructor on chain saws.
Id be ditching that Aldi one for a sthil, I think they have a sale on ATM.
Check out their shop next time youre in the Sydney Rd area.
Those Aldi have a poor drive sprocket design, If I had a choice Id go a small Sthil then a Huskie
Stay clear from those Baurm chinese Sthil copies. Cheap but nasty IMOI've owned the ALDI one for a few years now. To be honest ,it just works . Starts alright , runs fine.
Been used on just about all my camping trips. It's actually pretty good for $120 or so...
The only issue with it is it leaks bar oil if the saw sits there for a while.

But I'm still leaning towards getting a proper saw.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

threedogs
21st May 2019, 05:10 PM
Hodge I may have it mixed up with a Bunnings chainsaw,
the drive spocket was lubed via a small tube of grease into
centre of the shaft, we pilled apart every brand of chainsaw known to man.
loved it.
Im a big believer in being able to pull things apart to see how they work
helps heaps out in the boondocks. lol

Rossco
21st May 2019, 05:11 PM
The MS241 is the smallest in the professional range, it has the standard adjusting system and not the plastic ratchet style.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkYeah the "C" can refer to quick chain tensioner on some saws but this one refers to captive bar nuts which aren't such a bad idea. Yeah don't know any pro saws that have the crappy quick tensioner pretty sure they don't. Have a 241 at work, it's crazy light and does scream is a good little saw . .

MB
21st May 2019, 07:11 PM
That is it Rossco mate, have just commandeered the 241C off the boys for tomorrows light needs.
Single nut with captive washers over old school faithful tensioning screw [emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/289.jpg

EDIT: Sorry Rossco, captive nut I am, first time cleaning this saw for me. It is a great idea and impossible to loose bits out in the bush, ripper [emoji106][emoji106]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/83c2da9b8dc634f5322b81a9f85e3697.jpg

PeeBee
21st May 2019, 07:36 PM
The MS241 is the smallest in the professional range, it has the standard adjusting system and not the plastic ratchet style.

I think the 'c' is the turn wheel adjuster isn't it? He has a 241C

PeeBee
21st May 2019, 07:38 PM
Yeah the "C" can refer to quick chain tensioner on some saws but this one refers to captive bar nuts which aren't such a bad idea. Yeah don't know any pro saws that have the crappy quick tensioner pretty sure they don't. Have a 241 at work, it's crazy light and does scream is a good little saw . .

Ah Ha, gotcha, didn't see this post until I replied to Winnie. This would be my upgrade saw from the 231 for sure.

MB
21st May 2019, 07:52 PM
I think worthwhile mentioning here that our main lumberjack on team using the MS241C in our little coupe recently had a mate of his suggest looking into Stihl’s battery powered systems. Apparently he gets huge hours out of their packs and believes he finishes his similar cutting days heaps less tired. They possibly could be charging off an inverter thingy from solar on their rigs, not 100% sure yet!

EDIT: It must be the ‘AR 1000’ backpack system he was using professionally?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/290.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/291.jpg

Hodge
21st May 2019, 08:01 PM
I think worthwhile mentioning here that our main lumberjack on team using the MS241C in our little coupe recently had a mate of his suggest looking into Stihl’s battery powered systems. Apparently he gets huge hours out of their packs and believes he finishes his similar cutting days heaps less tired. They possibly could be charging off an inverter thingy from solar on their rigs, not 100% sure yet!

Never thought I'd use chainsaw and DC volts in the same sentence good Marko !!
At work we use the Milwaukee 18V with a 16" bar versions and they have impressed me immensely ! Cut's up 3 x 40 foot poles into 2 foot firewood sections with a single 12AH battery and still has juice to spare... We charge ours off 24V trucks / inverters.

They are freakin' expensive though, and one wonders if it's really worth while when for extra few hungiesss you can get a nice Stihl of some kind.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78610&stc=1

MB
21st May 2019, 08:05 PM
Sorry Hodgey, was editing above same time mate!
Do love Milwaukee for sure and will look to getting one of those bad boys in my ute for track clearing quickly on the fly [emoji106][emoji106]

MB
21st May 2019, 08:58 PM
katwowan & SteveO mates, Hodge mate might be onto something here with his company’s use of Milwaukee battery saws.
Myself, AB & matfew have always carried off-road Milwaukee 18v gear like grinders, drills, blowers for snow fires etc...
As per above mentioned track clearing and quick small fires my 18v MW sabre saw also gets used a hell of a lot with a long demolition blade on board.
If Hodgey can get through 3 power poles (durability 1 hard old timber) on a single 12AH battery seriousl chainsaw I’m sold too for a complete all-round home/adventure kit [emoji106][emoji106]

MB
21st May 2019, 09:06 PM
Forgot to mention, matfew (industrial sparky) has worked out a way to jump start diesel 6 pot patrols off Milwaukee batteries in a spot of bother.
Disclaimer: Do Not try this at home needlessly folks!!

MB
21st May 2019, 11:16 PM
Nearly 5 posts in a row record, lol :-)

Just nuffy playing around on McGoogle calculators and the Stihl AR3000 professional battery noticed listed appears near 32 amp hours on 36v in tradie speak [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/295.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/296.jpg

MB
21st May 2019, 11:43 PM
Honest 5th post winning question for any battery knowledgeable good folks out there?

We might and possibly Rossco’s work crew too in the future may all consider this whopping Lithium Stihl backpack system.

Having seen smaller Lithium batteries seriously explode from penetration before would these 32AH/36V whoppers send a bloke skyward if they slipped backwards onto a rock or stump?

matfew
22nd May 2019, 06:14 AM
Forgot to mention, matfew (industrial sparky) has worked out a way to jump start diesel 6 pot patrols off Milwaukee batteries in a spot of bother.
Disclaimer: Do Not try this at home needlessly folks!!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWorks a treat if your in middle of nsw with a dead battery hundreds of kms from any other living soul haha.

As you your last question. Lithium polymer is the explosive one. Lithium ion is much much not stable. So batteries are ion and rc cars, phones and laptops are usually polymer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MB
22nd May 2019, 06:46 AM
Thanks mate, appreciated!
I’m sure you meant “much much more stable” :-)

Hodge
22nd May 2019, 07:27 AM
As you your last question. Lithium polymer is the explosive one. Lithium ion is much much more stable. So batteries are ion and rc cars, phones and laptops are usually polymer.

Fixed that for ya Matty ! [emoji38]

Ion variations also work flawlessly right up against 22,000VAC daily . Tough magic that ion stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

matfew
22nd May 2019, 07:47 AM
Haha sorry only just got my eyes open when I wrote that.

Also meant to say most rc cars laptops and phones are usually lithium polymer hence why phones burst into flame at times.

Lithium is very reactive with oxygen. Soon as its exposed a thermal reaction occurs hence the smoke and flames.
I believe the way lithium ion is made it is much less reactive and doesn't have the danger but polymer batteries can release huge amounts of current so they both have uses.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
22nd May 2019, 07:16 PM
They are freakin' expensive though, and one wonders if it's really worth while when for extra few hungiesss you can get a nice Stihl of some kind.

rmmmmm, when you live here in the Blue Mountains and surrounded by hypocritical greenies and if they are quieter running then well worth the extra $$$ can't start a petrol chainsaw here without some farkin wanker ringing up and complaining, even if its a legal cut! :(

MB
23rd May 2019, 06:45 AM
Yeah, can’t imagine you’d even need to wear earmuffs with elecy saws, surely low db ?
One less thing to carry/pack on off-road adventures too.

PeeBee
23rd May 2019, 07:29 AM
Yeah, can’t imagine you’d even need to wear earmuffs with elecy saws, surely low db ?

I would say you will get about 50 cuts out of a 36V Makita with a 12" bar on dry mountain ash in the 75 - 125mm dia size range provided you don't 'lean' hard into the saw and let it do the cutting. Noise would be minimal, 25% of an angle grinder. This is usually enough for a nights burning unless you are going to sit up into the wee hours. For this reason I have 6 spare batteries, so 2 in the unit, 6 spare, and this will sort out any consequential track clearing up to say 10" dia max, probably only 6" on green timber though as its a bit stickier I recall. Still carry the 23 for the bigger stuff, but others have said, you need the fuel as well.

Hodge
23rd May 2019, 11:48 AM

They're not very loud Marko..... Well, the milwaukee ones aren't. Oddly enough, our OHS code strictly forbids usage of chainsaws "including" these electric ones without muffs...

Yet, the miwaukee rattle gun range we use, which are 16x louder (than 18V chainsaws) when "rattling", doesn't require ear protection... Bureaucratic safety programming written by fresh out of uni pencil sharpeners who probably see daylight once a month....
Apologies for the sidetrack. :oops:

MB
23rd May 2019, 08:23 PM
Pisser Hodgey :-)!
I reckon a simple Ball-Peen hammer can break 100db too if you get them to listen close enough to an I-Beam.

MB
23rd May 2019, 10:29 PM
FWIW: Gave the little Stihl 241C a hard run today out of its built zone. We were aiming for some rustic looking skins freehand taken off Ironbark tops and it certainly gave us that, lol :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/298.jpg
Full credit to the saw with incorrect chain used, kept zinging for some 6 x 3.0m runs over a few fuel stops.
Came into its own as a backup carving saw to the MS171 currently away but near as light yet got the rough job done still.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/299.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/300.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/301.jpg
Electric will surely be the future for all certainly on smaller stuff now with instant torque instead of 2 stroke finger control, lol :-)

katwoman
24th May 2019, 04:47 PM
So, I compared the Stihl MS 211
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Homeowner-Chainsaws/21347-1571/MS-211.aspx
to the Husky 435
https://www.husqvarna.com/au/products/chainsaws/435-e-series-ii/967651301/

and decided on the Husky. Simply because you buy 1L 2 stroke oil and 5L bar oil ( $50) and get 3 year extended warranty.
Stihl, you buy 1L 2 stroke oil only ( $32) and only get 2 year extended warranty
and the stihl dealer basically told me that HE would buy a husky..... except the $249 ones as they are crap.
They pretty much stack up the same. Time will tell whether it was the right choice.

PeeBee
24th May 2019, 05:38 PM
Good choice I reckon Kat. I think the 211 is just that little bit small for aussie hardwood.

Sprock
25th May 2019, 03:09 PM
For what it’s worth kat I’ve always been a Stihl man but recently got offered a near new Husky 575 that I couldn’t knock back , in my opinion it’s leaps n bounds ahead of the Stihls - starts easier & QUIET ! Bloody brilliant saw , I’ve got a little Stihl I carry in the truck as it fits in the toolbox , a few of my mates have battery operated saws they carry in their trucks & swear by them .

billyj
26th May 2019, 10:42 PM
personally im running a pair of makita dcs7901 saws, 79cc running 20,24 and 30" bars, for both track clearing and firewood duties. had one for 10 years and it had been such a good saw that i couldnt say no when i spotted the second on clearance for half price last year, some great bargins were around the last 12 months on saws mowers etc with the new emmission laws for outdoor power equipment kicking in this july7863778638

MB
27th May 2019, 09:04 PM
Photos added have really done justice to them Makita’s @ BillyJ mate, well done Bloke, Top Stuff!
What’s that timber there in the last pic mate?

MB
27th May 2019, 09:26 PM
Bit off-track, bit knackered, half cut done maybe too, very satisfied though with somewhat artistically working with Aussie hardwoods these days. Quite therapeutic needed and finally rewarding when resins have dried and stains are finally on [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/363.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/364.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/365.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/366.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/367.jpg

rusty_nail
27th May 2019, 10:11 PM
They look fantastic mate!!! Incredible result, very happy to see something coming together!

MB
27th May 2019, 10:22 PM
Mega thanks to you truly mate, belt sanding wise man on them ones and a serious shipload more done too! Them cheap Maktec’s just keep spinning day after day!!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/368.jpg
The $459 original Makita best ever made “apparently” has been off at their service centre fo 6 weeks now :-(

MB
27th May 2019, 10:40 PM
rusty_nail mate, honestly, have you experienced service difficulties with Makita/Mactec mate? The way I see it financially, reckon we could cook 3 of these Mactec puppies for the same price before head office would call me back!
Food for thought I guess on saws folks ?

rusty_nail
27th May 2019, 11:05 PM
rusty_nail mate, honestly, have you experienced service difficulties with Makita/Mactec mate? The way I see it financially, reckon we could cook 3 of these Mactec puppies for the same price before head office would call me back!
Food for thought I guess on saws folks ?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMate, in all honesty I own (and use regularly) about two dozen makita tools and In the three years I've accumulated this collection, I have had one impact driver have the rubber delaminate, and one hammer drill cook it's motor. One bought through total tools and the other through Sydney tools, I didn't have an issue with either of them being repaired. It took 2 weeks and I got them back all working.

Are you having big issues getting it repaired?

Re exey x cheap saws though I don't think the cheaper option is as good, although I own an ozito sliding mitre saw($179) which cuts timber just as good as a $1500 makita. Only thing I did when I bought it was upgrade to a reputable blade. Maybe you could just but a crappy saw and upgrade the chain or bar on it?

MB
27th May 2019, 11:13 PM
Fully cut now mate, in awl honesty, Total Tools bought and 4 weeks later sooking to them has found a 5th & 6th ++ weeks pass by dealing with a Telstra familiar hotline handball now!

EDIT: The lovely young lady @TT gave me the honest rundown that Bosch were even worse than Makita for even their internal communication?

Winnie
28th May 2019, 06:42 AM
That looks brilliant MB! Seriously awesome man!

Rossco
28th May 2019, 06:59 AM
Yeah definatly, bloddy beautiful [emoji106] .
So solid should last a lifetime.

PeeBee
28th May 2019, 07:01 AM
Looks great Mark, top class.

Winnie
28th May 2019, 07:47 AM
I will have to hit you up at some stage Markie for a coffee table top for the shed to be made from one of these drums
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/369.jpg

rusty_nail
28th May 2019, 08:02 AM
Talk about a thread hijack! Lol. I heard mark was gonna redo his whole kitchen bench tops lol

MB
28th May 2019, 08:08 AM
It certainly does test any saw out this Victorian Red Ironbark, weighs in at 1,120kg/m3 stihl after 5 years naturally seasoned!

rusty_nail
28th May 2019, 09:32 PM
It certainly does test any saw out this Victorian Red Ironbark, weighs in at 1,120kg/m3 stihl after 5 years naturally seasoned!

talking with a colleague at work, apparently it also has a very high sillica content which is obviously no good for your blades!

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2019, 10:20 PM
talking with a colleague at work, apparently it also has a very high sillica content which is obviously no good for your blades!

And a great reason to where a dusk mask and or respirator when working with it....

rusty_nail
28th May 2019, 10:53 PM
And a great reason to where a dusk mask and or respirator when working with it....Work safe in the house MB did you know this though,

MB
29th May 2019, 04:45 AM
Thanks Gents, appreciated, all above board, full PPE kitted out we are. The Aliphatic Expoxy resins are actually harder on the sanding belts than the timber, tough stuff combined!

billyj
1st June 2019, 09:28 PM
Photos added have really done justice to them Makita’s @ BillyJ mate, well done Bloke, Top Stuff!
What’s that timber there in the last pic mate?

not sure what the timber was in the pic mate, was taken a couple of years ago, just remember it was bloody hard and burnt really well.
got a fair bit of stringy laying on the ground up here atm so ill try remember to get some pics when as i start cutting it over the next few weeks

MB
2nd June 2019, 07:26 AM
Sounds great mate, pictures are awesome!
Be sure to have ‘all’ your safety gear on head to toe and stay out of frame. I just got lagged into a city council from one of their own eating a long lunch in an opposite carpark to our works site. Our SWMS honestly couldn’t quite justify wearing chaps for a 15second docking off a skinny 1.8m high post to 1.7m full mask height with a 12” mini saw. Lesson learnt, someone’s always watching and so concerned for our legs safety that a phone call was needed instead of a face to face concerned education 20m away.

billyj
2nd June 2019, 02:53 PM
haha no council watching here, cutting on my own property, but will have the ppe on anyway

MB
2nd June 2019, 06:18 PM
Good Safe Man BillyJ Mate!
Keep us PM posted if you come across any private windfall top artistic root balls and all. More than happy to bestest agree % commissions on final sold after blasting mud & crud off betterer than firewood bases left to rot ;-) [emoji106][emoji106]

billyj
2nd June 2019, 08:30 PM
got about half a dozen stump/root balls laying up the front, ill try grab some pics tomorrow

MB
2nd June 2019, 08:32 PM
Spot on, appreciated [emoji106][emoji106]

billyj
23rd July 2019, 06:55 PM
couple of pics from the weekend, cleaning up one of the many stringy's that have fallen over lately7893978940

NissanGQ4.2
23rd July 2019, 08:50 PM
Does thongs, no safety brake on chainsaw and drinking bourbons and beers count ass PPE gear while on private property count?????? it's how I roll *LMAO*

Plasnart
23rd July 2019, 09:23 PM
Does thongs, no safety brake on chainsaw and drinking bourbons and beers count ass PPE gear while on private property count?????? it's how I roll *LMAO*

Yep. As long as it's not on my private property. :)

Rossco
23rd July 2019, 09:24 PM
Does thongs, no safety brake on chainsaw and drinking bourbons and beers count ass PPE gear while on private property count?????? it's how I roll *LMAO*As long as it's no safety Saturday. . or Sunday.