PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Bob Hawk. You Sir where a Legend!

MudRunnerTD
16th May 2019, 09:19 PM
From the Age Melbourne.

Bob Hawke, one of the nation's greatest public figures and a hero of the Australian Labor Party, has died on the eve of an election the former prime minister just one day ago predicted would be won by the party he led for nearly a decade.

The Labor legend died aged 89 on Thursday surrounded by family in his Sydney home, drawing to a close one of the most significant chapters in Australian political history.

"Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian – many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era," his wife, Blanche d'Alpuget, said in a statement.

"Bob was dearly loved by his family, and so many friends and colleagues. We will miss him.

"The golden bowl is broken."

Mr Hawke's death has rocked the federal election campaign. The former Labor leader, who was prime minister from 1983 to 1991, on Wednesday wrote an open letter to Australians backing Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to win Saturday's election against Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

In a statement on Thursday night, Mr Shorten said Mr Hawke was a "leader of conviction – and a builder of consensus".

"In Australian history, in Australian politics, there will always be B.H. and A.H: Before Hawke and After Hawke. After Hawke, we were a different country. A kinder, better, bigger and bolder country," Mr Shorten said.

"The Australian people loved Bob Hawke because they knew Bob loved them, this was true to the very end.

"At our Labor launch I told Bob we loved him, I promised we would win for him. I said the same to him the next day at his home, when I visited.

Hawke backs Shorten as 'consensus' leader in new open letter

"I gave the man who inspired me to go into politics a gentle hug, I tried to tell him what he meant to me, what he meant to all of us. I couldn’t quite find the right words, few of us can, when we’re face to face with our heroes.

"But Bob knew. He knew what he meant to Australia, he knew what he had achieved for the country. He knew he was loved, right to the end."

Paul Keating, who served as treasurer under Mr Hawke and defeated him in a leadership ballot to become prime minister in 1991, said the death also represented the passing of "a partnership we formed with the Australian people".

"Bob possessed a moral framework for his important public life, both representing the workers of Australia and more broadly, the country at large," Mr Keating said on Thursday night.

"Bob, of course, was hoping for a Labor victory this weekend. His friends, too, were hoping he would see this."

Mr Hawke will be laid to rest in a private service to be attended by Ms d'Alpuget and his children. A memorial service will be held in Sydney in coming weeks.

"Bob Hawke and Paul Keating and their governments modernised the Australian economy, paving the way for an unprecedented period of recession-free economic growth and job creation," Ms d'Alpuget said.

"Bob’s consensus-style approach of bringing together the trade union movement and the business community boosted job opportunities while increasing the social wage through Medicare and extra financial support for low-income families.

OBITUARIES
Labor's golden boy who transformed a nation

"Together with his highly talented cabinets, he foresaw the Asian Century and positioned Australia to take full advantage of it through a program of sweeping economic reforms.

"Among his proudest achievements were large increases in the proportion of children finishing high school, his role in ending apartheid in South Africa, and his successful international campaign to protect Antarctica from mining.

"He abhorred racism and bigotry. His father, the Reverend Clem Hawke, told Bob that if you believed in the Fatherhood of God then you must also believe in the Brotherhood of Man. Bob would add today the Sisterhood of Women."

That is All. RIP Sir...

Rossco
16th May 2019, 09:27 PM
Yeah what a bloody ledgend RIP Bob.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Plasnart
16th May 2019, 11:58 PM
I respected Bob Hawke immensely; the man - come union rep - come politician - come prime minister for his courage to say it as he saw it, and to lay open his soul to the public with his heart on his sleeve, lay open his vulnerabilities (of which there were many), and his ability to bring people with him on his vision for the future of our country. That, in my eyes is a leader of the highest integrity and skill. He was one who strove for everyone, big and small; for the country in its entirety. You must benefit all for all to benefit.

Today's political leaders should reflect on this encompassing style of leadership which, although now virtually extinct, is proven to to deliver the best result for the nation and its populace as a whole.

The socially and idealogically divisive nature of politics today only drives us all further apart. That is weak leadership and pathetic politics.

I'm not a rusted on Labor voter. Far from it in fact. But RIP Bob Hawke and thank you for all you did.

bazzaboy
17th May 2019, 03:56 AM
Yes, the last of the "genuine Australian politicians" who actually cared for this country and it's people. The current lot have no idea, and are only in the game for themselves. I'm very sad that the current younger generation ( my son included ) will never experience just how good this country once was, and probably will never be again. RIP Bob.

mudnut
17th May 2019, 10:23 AM
He is the only politician I actually liked. Gunna be a bloody long time until we get someone who could fill his shoes.

Cuppa
17th May 2019, 11:02 AM
Bob was PM when we arrived shiny white from the UK in '87. He encapsulated all we had envisaged about our new country. A good man down. A true legend. Vale Bob Hawke.

threedogs
17th May 2019, 01:39 PM
member Bob Hawke well being the member for Wills ,even remember the ballot paper when he first ran for office.
Last of the true Politicians

Maxhead
18th May 2019, 08:06 AM
RIP Legend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
18th May 2019, 10:11 AM

Think on this when you have the pencil in your hand today

Clunk
18th May 2019, 12:06 PM

Think on this when you have the pencil in your hand todayWhat's that got to do with the party of today?

Vote H.E.M.P.

Cuppa
18th May 2019, 03:34 PM
What's that got to do with the party of today?

Vote H.E.M.P.

I could answer that at length but I rather think that no-one here wants the forum filled with a lengthy political rant. I will say however that the Labor party of today was endorsed by Bob before his passing & it's leader has clearly stated a desire to lead a concensus style government, something Bob Hawke was able to do so well (& very different to what we have had to put up with for too long). Like many I am sick of modern politics which fails to respect the people & see a chance for change today. Modern labor could still let us down, but the important word there is 'could'. The other mob 'will'. Voting for minor/micro parties sends a message about being sick of not being respected by the majors, but it's a gamble as to what sort of government you end up with, especially as few of the minor/micro parties have declared where their preferences will go. Hopefully H.E.M.P preferences will find their way to Labor as I included them in my Senate vote.

Bob
18th May 2019, 03:35 PM
Vote H.E.M.P.

Bloody Hell and I have already voted.

BTW this Forum is non Political or it should be

Cuppa
19th May 2019, 01:27 PM
Election over.

Ah well ............. Such is life. Maybe Bob went at the right time.

Maxhead
19th May 2019, 01:48 PM
Election over.

Ah well ............. Such is life. Maybe Bob went at the right time.

....and how good was the result[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
19th May 2019, 06:00 PM

[Sigh] Well that, my dear Mr Head, very much depends upon what one was hoping for! :eck05:

Clunk
19th May 2019, 06:42 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt certainly was [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

[Sigh] Well that, my dear Mr Head, very much depends upon what one was hoping for! :eck05:Jeremy Corbyns head on a chopping block and end to all political comments on this forum

AB
19th May 2019, 06:47 PM
Sorry folks, time to shut this puppy down...