PDA

View Full Version : Westy's new not quite a patrol build.....

BigRAWesty
10th May 2019, 07:16 PM
Well I'm half way through this trip and what a joy it's been so far.
So most know the trusty gu got passed on to a young fella who's taking it back to Darwin..
Lucky fkn car I reckon..

So we've been on the look for a reasonable car to suit our needs.

Was looking at pajeros and colarados..
This Nissa mentions she like the r51 pathfinder.....
What.
Done..
Not lettinging that opportunity pass....

So after the zd30....
Look. It wasn't a bad engine.
Head gasket at 110k was a pain..
But over all a great car..

But the yd25....
Na not keen.
The v6 vq40.. yes please..
Car sales.
What.
4 in Aus under 200 thou..

Start searching and turn up this one in Tassie.
Geeze really. Tassie.
But it's got low km for its age.
Bloody mint condition.
Near new ko2 tyres..
Ti.
Done.

So now I rite this as I wait for the spirit of Tassie to depart....

So far love it.
Power for days..
Sports exhaust.
Mint rims and tyres..
Lights for days.. (might remove the 9" rounds yet..)
I'll get fuel usage figures when I fill around Melbourne.
But I think it'll go around 13-14lph..

But happy days thus far..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/142.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/143.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

mudnut
10th May 2019, 07:28 PM
Good luck and enjoy your new purchase, Kallen.

growler2058
10th May 2019, 07:32 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lol

BigRAWesty
10th May 2019, 07:35 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lolI'll lay a ripper skid out the front driveway on my way threw to show it off ey lol..
I'm serious though mate. Fark it boogies

Plasnart
11th May 2019, 07:00 PM
Looks pretty smicky mate! Pm me if you're offloading the roundies I'm thinking of upgrading.

TPC
11th May 2019, 07:18 PM
Looks good, surely you would be better than 14l for fuel, just put a tennis ball under the accelerator pedal.

MudRunnerTD
11th May 2019, 08:36 PM
Great looking car. Had the pleasure of checking it out today. Was great to see you bud. Enjoyed the chat. Been too long.

Clunk
11th May 2019, 10:42 PM
nice mate...... should have got a 550 though :tease:

threedogs
12th May 2019, 12:43 PM
great looking dual cab Kallen

Clunk
12th May 2019, 09:27 PM
Are you looking at the same vehicle TD?

threedogs
13th May 2019, 02:21 PM
Are you looking at the same vehicle TD?

No not me happy with the GU now its fixed, are those V6 any good
never hear a word about them.

mudnut
13th May 2019, 02:25 PM
Two heads, two lots of camshafts, an engine balancing shaft. Yep, all good. :)

BigRAWesty
13th May 2019, 11:37 PM
Looks good, surely you would be better than 14l for fuel, just put a tennis ball under the accelerator pedal.Unfortunately not. 13.5 on premium 98 and 15lph on 91.
But it's on 275/65/17's which is over an inch bigger than stock in diameter and width..
great looking dual cab KallenStill a wagon mate. The pathfinder is the 7 seat version on the navara.
No not me happy with the GU now its fixed, are those V6 any good
never haer a word about them.And yes there good. Typical petrol. Pretty maintenance free.
Just a bit thirsty.

TPC
14th May 2019, 08:38 AM
You won't know what to do with the power after driving a ZD30.

BigRAWesty
14th May 2019, 11:03 PM
You won't know what to do with the power after driving a ZD30.It's bloody nice being able to overtake again......

Clunk
15th May 2019, 01:07 AM
It's bloody nice being able to overtake again......

Sent from my SM-G975F using TapatalkYep have to agree.... No longer have to plan my overtaking moves minutes in advance.... just plant my foot and off she goes. Really enjoying driving the V6 petrol Paj. Economy wise, get around 15l/100 back and forth to work and best Ive had is 12.5l/100 over a long journey. Not unhappy with that as the td42 aversges 14.5-16l/100 and me old TB42 was 16-18l/100 [emoji3]

BigRAWesty
25th May 2019, 08:21 AM
So a small update.
Not jumping into full build yet as were chasing a fuel issue.
Seem it's picking up it's rich at the cats and not dropping into a lean burn cycle.
So could be a few things.
Spark plugs look ok but being veridium my brother says then can be hit and miss..

Sensors all seem to be working fine.

So will check fuel pressure and hopefully it's a simple relife valve playing up.

So once we nut this issue we should increase fuel economy.. which is good..

threedogs
26th May 2019, 11:55 AM
It's bloody nice being able to overtake again......

Yeah my bad ,so youve had it awhile now whats it like to live with?
Any niggles etc that youve found?

BigRAWesty
26th May 2019, 12:46 PM
Yeah my bad ,so youve had it awhile now whats it like to live with?
Any niggles etc that youve found?Only a few weeks.
Being Ti it's bloody nice. So many creature comforts..
Ride is good for its age.
Better than the patrol.
Apart from the rich issue above mate.. it's good.
I do have a small niggle with the rear passenger door..
Once you lock and unlock the doors, the outside handle doesn't seem to engage untill you open the door from the inside..
And there are a once piece mechanism and bloody expensive so I'll get in there one weekend and have a look before I buy a new one..

threedogs
26th May 2019, 12:51 PM
Thinking being IFS would help its on road manners heaps.

BigRAWesty
26th May 2019, 09:07 PM
Yep its good on dirt roads. Pot holes are no issues..

rusty_nail
26th May 2019, 09:13 PM
Only a few weeks.
Being Ti it's bloody nice. So many creature comforts..
Ride is good for its age.
Better than the patrol.
Apart from the rich issue above mate.. it's good.
I do have a small niggle with the rear passenger door..
Once you lock and unlock the doors, the outside handle doesn't seem to engage untill you open the door from the inside..
And there are a once piece mechanism and bloody expensive so I'll get in there one weekend and have a look before I buy a new one..

Sent from my SM-G975F using TapatalkTegans last car was a dualis, the rear inner handle was broken. Replacement part was way more than I wanted to pay but noticed my mates navara had exactly the same handles. Price for a nav was less than half the dualis one. What I'm getting at is there are cross compatible parts between the models and they vary in price depending on the car lol. Hope this helps mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
26th May 2019, 09:21 PM
Tegans last car was a dualis, the rear inner handle was broken. Replacement part was way more than I wanted to pay but noticed my mates navara had exactly the same handles. Price for a nav was less than half the dualis one. What I'm getting at is there are cross compatible parts between the models and they vary in price depending on the car lol. Hope this helps mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkThe pathy has the handle on the c pillar not in door like the nav so sorta one of a kind thing.

Plasnart
26th May 2019, 10:01 PM
The pathy has the handle on the c pillar not in door like the nav so sorta one of a kind thing.

Am I getting this right? The pathy is a two handed operation to open the rear doors? Pull door handle on the c pillar with one hand and push the door open with the other?

BigRAWesty
26th May 2019, 10:07 PM
Am I getting this right? The pathy is a two handed operation to open the rear doors? Pull door handle on the c pillar with one hand and push the door open with the other????
Lost me?
Single handed just the outside handle is up on the door frame not in the door body like normal.
You can see the handle inline with the rear window.
The inside handle is in the normal spot.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/360.jpg

Plasnart
26th May 2019, 10:12 PM
Actually come think of it, rear doors are generally a 2 hand operation arent they? Pull the handle with one hand and push it open with the other? Fark I dont know.

Plasnart
26th May 2019, 10:13 PM
???
Lost me?
Single handed just the outside handle is up on the door frame not in the door body like normal.
You can see the handle inline with the rear window.
The inside handle is in the normal spot.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/05/360.jpg

Far out here I am thinking from inside. Just ignore me.

rusty_nail
28th May 2019, 07:56 PM
The pathy has the handle on the c pillar not in door like the nav so sorta one of a kind thing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using TapatalkPretty sure the juke has a c pillar handle?

BigRAWesty
28th May 2019, 08:15 PM
Pretty sure the juke has a c pillar handle?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkJust had a quick look and yes your right but seems to be rod driven like similar to the patrol, but up high.
The pathy is cable driven from both directions.

BigRAWesty
6th December 2019, 01:49 PM
Hey crew long time now post. How life changes can swallow time up....
The pathy is still going strong.
Not much to report but finally fitting the brake controller. And God daym these ti's are full...
It's been a battle but like the gu it's an easy clip together set up so after I worked out the pieces it was all out in no time.
Went the redarc tow pro 3 this time. I think plans for this car are long term. So not going cheap.
Tucked it high in the driver's kick pannel and switch in a handy spot Just below the steering wheel.
Cable has been run down inside the chassis and just need a new plug on the back to wire it into..

Unfortunately still haven't sold our mt gambier property so progress everywhere has been slow.

But parents bought us a kings 2.5x2.5 awning for us for an early chrissy pressy.
So that'll be fitted over the break.

Apart from that love the petrol..
Cheers http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/12/57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Winnie
6th December 2019, 02:17 PM
Not much to report but finally fitting the brake controller. And God daym these ti's are full...
It's been a battle but like the gu it's an easy clip together set up so after I worked out the pieces it was all out in no time.
Went the redarc tow pro 3 this time. I think plans for this car are long term. So not going cheap.
Tucked it high in the driver's kick pannel and switch in a handy spot Just below the steering wheel.
Cable has been run down inside the chassis and just need a new plug on the back to wire it into..

Unfortunately still haven't sold our mt gambier property so progress everywhere has been slow.

But parents bought us a kings 2.5x2.5 awning for us for an early chrissy pressy.

Sent from my SM-G977B using TapatalkNice one Kallen, I'm getting the same brake controller fitted to the Nav next week. They are all the rage and everybody who has upgraded to one of them absolutely loves them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
6th December 2019, 02:24 PM
Nice one Kallen, I'm getting the same brake controller fitted to the Nav next week. They are all the rage and everybody who has upgraded to one of them absolutely loves them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkTo the Nav.... did I miss something??

Winnie
6th December 2019, 02:31 PM
To the Nav.... did I miss something??

Sent from my SM-G977B using TapatalkStill got the Patrol... The Nav is a work car lol. Soooo much nicer towing in the Nav compared to the Patrol though.

Rossco
6th December 2019, 07:30 PM
Nice one Kallen, I'm getting the same brake controller fitted to the Nav next week. They are all the rage and everybody who has upgraded to one of them absolutely loves them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkAre they the same as the elite and if not whats the difference?

Winnie
6th December 2019, 08:01 PM
Are they the same as the elite and if not whats the difference?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkYeah tow pro elite V3. Came out about 18 months ago? No idea what difference is between V2 and V3?

TPC
6th December 2019, 08:27 PM

I have the same brake controller on the Patrol and it is brilliant, towed my caravan back from Mildura last Sunday and could not feel the van was there when brakeing, had it on the proportional breaking setting and let it do its thing.

TPC
6th December 2019, 08:30 PM
Still got the Patrol... The Nav is a work car lol. Soooo much nicer towing in the Nav compared to the Patrol though.

Why is the Nav nicer to tow with? I like towing with the Patrol, except for up hills and through traffic with the manual.

BigRAWesty
9th December 2019, 06:34 PM
Are they the same as the elite and if not whats the difference?

Yeah tow pro elite V3. Came out about 18 months ago? No idea what difference is between V2 and V3?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkV1 and 2 are simply a variable switch set by the dial. Brake force is one setting and that's it.
The v3 has a gyro in it to sence the force of the braking affect.
So the harder you pull up the more the trailer will brake also..

I have the same brake controller on the Patrol and it is brilliant, towed my caravan back from Mildura last Sunday and could not feel the van was there when brakeing, had it on the proportional breaking setting and let it do its thing.Yea I don't think I'll ever tow anything big enough to really notice the difference. But my brother is now sales and can get the v3 for dam near the same price as the v2.. so looking forward to it..
Why is the Nav nicer to tow with? I like towing with the Patrol, except for up hills and through traffic with the manual.Yea I'm keen to tow with the pathy. Just not so much the fuel bill lol..

BigRAWesty
9th December 2019, 06:37 PM
So Sunday saw the early chrissy pressy fitted. Pains me but it's kings. Can't turn down a pressy from the folks. And it's only an awning. Not going to be detrimental to a trip if it fails..
Solid rhs bars between the factory roof rails.
And tweaked the kings brackets to suit..
It's moves a little at the front so will make better brackets after Christmas.
But for now it's there..
2.5x2.5 fits very nice.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/12/82.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/12/83.jpg

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2020, 11:26 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/02/111.jpg

10G
25th February 2020, 02:19 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/02/111.jpg

Very bloody nice Kallen, gotta get over and have a look at the Yorke.

BigRAWesty
2nd March 2020, 08:24 PM
Very bloody nice Kallen, gotta get over and have a look at the Yorke.If your this way be sure to yell out.

BigRAWesty
2nd March 2020, 08:27 PM
So it seems this one is the last Nissan.
For now anyway.
Work have upgraded me to a dual cab ranger which will do all the family trips and towing so the Pathy will be up for sale soon.
I'm some what annoyed I didn't look at them pre GU because if I'm brutally honest we probably would have had a 550Ti over the gu...
Brillant cars and geeze the v6 petty hauls ass!!!

mudnut
2nd March 2020, 09:16 PM
The Rangers are good. Dad's XLT does an excellent job of towing their caravan.

BigRAWesty
19th March 2020, 09:27 PM
So it is what seems the end. Pretty certain we will be driving it to Adelaide Saturday arvo for its new owner to head back to millicent..
So personally, 28 years in Nissans....
From the parents gq, the gu and the pathy.
Will be again a sad day I think..
You cant get rid of me that easily though. Unless I get booted......
So for all heading to robe for 2021 trip we'll see you in the ranger...
[emoji111]