PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for - Buying second hand GU7

gavcan01
9th May 2019, 08:56 PM
HI All

If this question is supposed to be in a different section - sorry :) but looking for some advice on things to look for when buying a Patrol.
I've got my eyes on either an ST or Ti wagon. I've got about 4 or so to look at ranging from 100k to 180k on the clock. All 2011.
Apart from service history, interior detail signs of wear, and looking for signs of red dirt and other matter or damage under the vehicle, what else can you suggest I look for?

Having previously owned a 2000 D2 Td5 - which indecently (incedently :)) was an awesome vehicle until its first major creek crossing..., how do the electrics hold up in the Ti? Has anyone had any dramas? Trying to weigh up whether the luxury is worth it or is the Ti basically a Toorak Tractor exclusively.

Any information/advice would be great.

Cheers

0-TJ-0
9th May 2019, 10:58 PM
Looking for any specific engine? I've got a gu3 td42 ST (similar running gear) with 260k km on it and Its never had any issues I didn't cause. There might be some specific things to look for depending on what engine you pick but otherwise you've pretty well covered it I think.

Actually I did a front wheel bearing not long after i brought it but that wasn't a big deal. I think you'll be fine in a ti unless you properly drown it.. but that'd probably give you grief in whatever model.

BillsGU
9th May 2019, 11:43 PM
Having previously owned a 2000 D2 Td5 - which indecently was ......................

Any information/advice would be great.

Cheers

Must agree with you there Gav. When describing Discos - indecent is the word. :frown:

gavcan01
10th May 2019, 07:12 AM
Must agree with you there Gav. When describing Discos - indecent is the word. :frown:

Haha yeah oops. Incidentally was good before the water then the 3 amigos came and went often. Then I guess became indecent. 😉

gavcan01
10th May 2019, 07:14 AM
Looking for any specific engine? I've got a gu3 td42 ST (similar running gear) with 260k km on it and Its never had any issues I didn't cause. There might be some specific things to look for depending on what engine you pick but otherwise you've pretty well covered it I think.

Actually I did a front wheel bearing not long after i brought it but that wasn't a big deal. I think you'll be fine in a ti unless you properly drown it.. but that'd probably give you grief in whatever model.

The ones I’m looking at all have the crd 3l

BillsGU
10th May 2019, 12:02 PM
It's like buying any second hand vehicle, you should give it a really good check and try and find out who owned it and what they did with it. A good service record is a bonus and a check via RACV (although at a cost) can save you lots of dollars down the track.

ZD30 engines are a bit fragile if not treated well so I would at least make sure I had a mechanic that knows Patrols have a look for cracked heads and holes in pistons. The rest of a Patrol is usually very tough and reliable - but any car can have a problem.

mudnut
10th May 2019, 12:52 PM
Check the rear spring towers. They have a tendency to stretch and crack at the welds on the chassis. Towing heavy loads over rough roads can cause the problem. There are kits available to rectify it.

Blitter2019
13th May 2019, 09:46 PM
My GU7.
What I'd check after owning mine 6 years.

* belt tensioner
* front alternator bearing
* front timing case leak
* take intercooler hose off and look for excessive oil.
* oil anywhere on crimped ends of intercooler
*Air bag recall
*Throttle position sensor recall replaced
* solid service history.
* Rear door droop.
*CRD side very hard to check. Get someone to drive behind as you accelerate, and drive a few, only needs to be a short distance test drive to get a feel of what's average power etc.

gavcan01
15th May 2019, 01:24 PM
My GU7.
What I'd check after owning mine 6 years.

* belt tensioner
* front alternator bearing
* front timing case leak
* take intercooler hose off and look for excessive oil.
* oil anywhere on crimped ends of intercooler
*Air bag recall
*Throttle position sensor recall replaced
* solid service history.
* Rear door droop.
*CRD side very hard to check. Get someone to drive behind as you accelerate, and drive a few, only needs to be a short distance test drive to get a feel of what's average power etc.

Haven't looked at any yet but if there is oil around the intercooler is that a sign to stay away or simply replace?
Thanks

jack
15th May 2019, 08:21 PM
Haven't looked at any yet but if there is oil around the intercooler is that a sign to stay away or simply replace?
Thanks

Just time to replace the Intercooler, it's a common issue as they are crimped not welded. Heaps of info in threads on here on how to replace.

mudnut
15th May 2019, 09:15 PM
The search function is your friend. This thread is one of many on here regarding leaking intercoolers.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?42061-Intercooler-Recommendation&highlight=welded+intercooler

threedogs
15th May 2019, 09:32 PM
Nearly all intercoolers leak from new not expensive or a chore to replace
Plus look underneath for rock strikes and scrapes they cant hide that with some black paint

gavcan01
24th May 2019, 11:37 AM
Cheers everyone for the info. Ended up buying a 2011 Ti with low kms stock as a rock. Wanted a blank canvas to set it up how I like and found one. Stoked.