PDA

View Full Version : patrol turbo waste gate noise

mjdboys
2nd May 2019, 11:44 PM
hi thanks for letting me be part of your group i have problem with 2011 3.0 turbo auto patrol turbo there is a flaping noise near or in turbo until you tack off wastegate vac hose thats if this model hase the waste gate turbo anyone had this problem

Dhuck
3rd May 2019, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Bidja
3rd May 2019, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

hi thanks for letting me be part of your group i have problem with 2011 3.0 turbo auto patrol turbo there is a flaping noise near or in turbo until you tack off wastegate vac hose thats if this model hase the waste gate turbo anyone had this problem

The ZD30 CRD engine is fitted with a GT2052V Garrett VNT turbo. The VNT is "varable nozzle (Geometry) turbo" meaning that it has adjustable vanes that control the amount of exhaust gas pressure/flow to enter the turbo housing to rotate the exhaust wheel / turbine to achieve and control boost.

Try and help here mate. We need a bit info on flap noise:

Metallic or hose like flap (describe it a bit more)?

If it is a metallic sound is it like a fan hitting metal cowl/shroud?

Only at idle (low boost)?

When you remove vac hose off actuator what does the actuator rod do?

When noise is heard, what is the actuator rod doing and at what is it's position with vac hose connected to VNT actuator?

Have you got manual boost control (Tillix or Dawes with needle valve)?

4bye4
6th May 2019, 02:12 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

thebrod
6th May 2019, 02:30 PM
I had a noise in my 3.0 turbo that was sounding a bit like a blow off valve when backing off (we don't have one of those either!).
Ended up being a crack in between the flange and the dump pipe on the turbo exhaust.... Didn't make any excessive noise while driving - just when backing off the accelerator.