PDA

View Full Version : Y61 automatic transmission not engaging in Drive

Axemano
26th April 2019, 03:02 PM
I have a automatic transition that in the morning it will not engage in Drive
I need to take off in second and then engage Drive

4bye4
30th April 2019, 10:58 AM
have you checked the trans fluid level and condition?

Dhuck
1st May 2019, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

altech
1st May 2019, 08:22 AM
I have a automatic transition that in the morning it will not engage in Drive
I need to take off in second and then engage Drive

Welcome to my world, You are not alone. this happen to me 3 years ago with my 97 Gu 4.5 Ti . Went to Wholesale Automatics thinking if I replace the valve body with one of there's heavy duty one it will be fixed. but no it didn't. I'm so use to it now , I always start the car up, take of in second, get down the road then put it in drive and good all day. So if any else who know's what happening to our auto on first start, please let Axemano and myself what the fix is . cheers Alex

altech
1st May 2019, 08:28 AM
have you checked the trans fluid level and condition?

It's not fuild problem, as I had my Valve body replace at Wholesale Automatics with one of there heavy duty one's and now I have full Synthetic now, still have this problem only happen's when I first startup. regards Alex

4bye4
1st May 2019, 11:09 AM
It's not fuild problem, as I had my Valve body replace Ok I was using the logic that its either fluid, mechanical or electrical. Fluid seemed the easiest to check. Mechanical usually results in some noise or stiffness in operation, so possibly electrical?? Mine does not go into overdrive or whatever that top lazy gear is called, until the box gets to a certain temperature. This is controlled by the gearbox management board which in mine is located in the passenger firewall. Don't know if this can be altered or read with a scan tool to check.

altech
1st May 2019, 12:19 PM
Ok I was using the logic that its either fluid, mechanical or electrical. Fluid seemed the easiest to check. Mechanical usually results in some noise or stiffness in operation, so possibly electrical?? Mine does not go into overdrive or whatever that top lazy gear is called, until the box gets to a certain temperature. This is controlled by the gearbox management board which in mine is located in the passenger firewall. Don't know if this can be altered or read with a scan tool to check.

I think your has to be Electrical, maybe the switch or loose wire connection somewhere regards Alex

BillsGU
1st May 2019, 12:31 PM
Mine does not go into overdrive or whatever that top lazy gear is called, until the box gets to a certain temperature.

Does the OD OFF light on the dash come On and OFF when you push the button on the gear selector?

4bye4
1st May 2019, 12:36 PM
Does the OD OFF light on the dash come On and OFF when you push the button on the gear selector?

Yes mate. Actually I think it’s meant to be like that. I might have mislead everyone there. I was trying to guess why the op cannot get drive until his trans warms up. Mine not selecting the od until warm is I think what is supposed to happen and there is a temp sensing of some sort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axemano
4th May 2019, 09:21 AM
Sorry I have not been on the forum I don't have much time during the week
Good to see that there is someone else out there with the same problem and the fact that you have Drive for so long it puts me to rest that I might not be breaking down just yet
Have decided to change trans fluid filter and trans fluid today as a step one provision also take hey visual inspection of internal wiring
Everyone I have spoken to this week leads towards low fluid levels or fluid quality but I have my doubts thinking more Electrical as there is nothing in this car that isn't Electrical and communicates buy computer
So I think the next step after today maybe some type of scan tool that works on this model tesY61 2005 or start paying someone

nipagu7
4th May 2019, 11:21 AM
maybe if you disconnected the battery for an hour or so this might work as a reset for the computer if it is just a computer glitch causing the problem . cost nothing to try.

Axemano
6th May 2019, 02:28 PM
Now that I have changed the oil I feel sorry for that poor transmission it looks like no one has ever changed the transmission fluid and if it has it's been a long time
quite a metallic build up on magnet and my Milwaukee torch could not even shine through the oil check out the pics
Only dropped 4 litres of oil as I don't want the gear box to pack it in because it's full of fresh oil so I may give it a week or two to see if it slips before dropping the oil again785117851278510

Axemano
6th May 2019, 02:32 PM
And as expected the next morning it delayed going into drive again so thinking has to be Electrical need to find out what type of scan tool works on my 2005 TES Y61

4bye4
6th May 2019, 02:56 PM
Mate, looking at that I really don't think you have an electrical issue. be aware that you will not get all the oil changed just by dropping the sump. You will have to open the line from the oil cooler to trans and get the oil flopwing while putting more new oil in the gearbox. Don't like the metal in the oil though. You may have damaged the gearbox beyond recovery.

Axemano
7th May 2019, 05:09 PM
Still running alright at the moment and this morning it actually engaged in Drive I'll let you know if it keeps going that way

Natty25
16th July 2021, 08:49 PM
Hi all, im having this issue, did you get it resolved?