PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Gu patrol front differential engaging ???

Griefpatrol
21st April 2019, 01:00 PM
My Gu patrol front differential is engaging while driving and making A clunking sound every now and then could it be in the transfer case ? ?

Hodge
21st April 2019, 01:46 PM
My Gu patrol front differential is engaging while driving and making A clunking sound every now and then could it be in the transfer case ? ?

It possibly is the Auto hubs sticking / locking up / playing up? (providing you've got them)
My last Patrol I had to pull out the passenger one out clean it and re-grease.

If your transfer is in 2H, then it's physically NOT possible for the transfer to cause this.

Griefpatrol
21st April 2019, 02:26 PM
Thanks it’s not the hubs I’ve taken them off and gone for a short drive but still clunking and I can see the front tail shaft is turning ?

mudnut
21st April 2019, 04:09 PM
Have you got the right fluid in the transfer case?

Hodge
21st April 2019, 04:24 PM
Thanks it’s not the hubs I’ve taken them off and gone for a short drive but still clunking and I can see the front tail shaft is turning ?

Where is it clunking from? Inside diff or ends of the axle? Or perhaps the transfer case ?

It very well could be the transfer. As mudnut said, transfer fluid ??

mudnut
21st April 2019, 04:28 PM
If gear oil of too heavy a grade is used, the spinning action of the drive shaft running through the TF can act as an unwanted hydraulic drive, especially if it is cold.

mudski
21st April 2019, 08:05 PM
If you have auto hubs you must use auto trans fluid in the transfer case otherwise the front diff will try to engage.

Plasnart
21st April 2019, 09:45 PM
If you have auto hubs you must use auto trans fluid in the transfer case otherwise the front diff will try to engage.

When I did my oils I wondered why the transfer case was transmission oil and not gearbox oil. Put tranny in it as directed but wasn't convinced but never had any problems. This makes sense now.

replying to mudnut post also.

Cuppa
21st April 2019, 10:09 PM
When I did my oils I wondered why the transfer case was transmission oil and not gearbox oil.

I've wondered about that too, have even seen posts here about the manual's different recommendations, with some folk using transmission fluid & others (like me) using a heavier gear oil. Have never seen any mention relating to manual or auto hubs before. Now it makes sense! Thanks Mudnut.

mudnut
21st April 2019, 10:49 PM
Even in the GQ they changed the fluid.

mudnut
21st April 2019, 11:39 PM
I've wondered about that too, have even seen posts here about the manual's different recommendations, with some folk using transmission fluid & others (like me) using a heavier gear oil. Have never seen any mention relating to manual or auto hubs before. Now it makes sense! Thanks Mudnut.

I hope Griefpatrol looks up the correct type of lubricant in the vehicle owners manual.