PDA

View Full Version : Mystery black box in engine bay!

jmuskett
7th April 2019, 04:29 PM
Hi all, I’ve recently bought myself a GUII and having fun now each weekend familiarising myself with the car and the engine bay as well as planning some mods.

Whilst planning out what I want to do for a dual battery install I came across a mystery black box bolted onto the side of the engine bay with a tubular key hole on top with wires coming out of it and running into the firewall.

I’ve attached some photos but don’t have a clue what it is and wasn’t given a key for it from the previous owner! (I’m sure he didn’t know what it was either or didn’t use it).

The earth line isn’t connected but haven’t been able to see if the wires from the box are actually connected to anything either. I’ll have to have a go at picking the lock at some point.

Thanks to anyone who can help me identify what this is!

78307)

0-TJ-0
7th April 2019, 06:33 PM
Mate, forum etiquette would have you post an introduction before you start asking questions.

I can't say without doubt but it's most likely some kind of anti theft device/immobiliser. If take it out you'll have to make sure you connect all the wires up correctly after or she probably won't go.

MudRunnerTD
7th April 2019, 08:11 PM
Yeah after market Alarm Siren for sure

GQtdauto
7th April 2019, 09:24 PM
Alarm system mate pretty much the same as mine in the GQ , wires won't be obvious .

jmuskett
8th April 2019, 08:00 AM
Mate, forum etiquette would have you post an introduction before you start asking questions.

I can't say without doubt but it's most likely some kind of anti theft device/immobiliser. If take it out you'll have to make sure you connect all the wires up correctly after or she probably won't go.

Sorry for not following the forum rules either, I'll post an introduction now!

jmuskett
8th April 2019, 08:05 AM
Thanks all for the help and quick responses. I think I'm going to see if I can find out what make the system is before further tampering!

If I can find that out then I could either get a replacement or look at the wiring diagram so If I do choose to remove I wire the car back together properly. Also I'm not even sure if it works or if it has a control!