PDA

View Full Version : when lightning strikes

GQtdauto
31st March 2019, 09:08 AM

Test post from my phone

threedogs
31st March 2019, 09:38 AM
Ive heard it does something to the tree and will blunt your chainsaw very quickly

GQtdauto
31st March 2019, 09:59 AM
Not much left of three of them to cut John ,the strike on one tree went down in a corkscrew like pattern and blew a hole in the ground next to the tree .
Oddly all trees were red stringy that were hit .

rusty_nail
31st March 2019, 10:37 AM
are they high in iron or some other metal?

rusty_nail
31st March 2019, 10:37 AM
pretty awesome pics mate

GQtdauto
31st March 2019, 10:54 AM
Got some more photos just a pain to post from the phone , the ridgeline has been hit many times over the years by the look of it there a heaps of older strikes from previous years .
Some big red box trees blown to smithereens in the area , there is a lot of quartz in the area and lower down there is signs of mining from years ago .
One big takeout from what I seen is never ever use a tree for protection in a thunderstorm.

PeeBee
31st March 2019, 10:59 AM

I cant understand what 'process' would to harden the timber. If anything you might get drier wood as the moisture is flashed off by the zilluions of volts, but if it does not carburize, then I would think it would cut like dry timber. Can't say I have ever cut a lightning affected tree though, so just my opinion. If its black and charred, then yes, the carbon will knock the chain around unless its a carbide tipped chain, but even those wont last forever - I have one and reckon I got 5 times the chain life out of it compared to a standard chain.

PeeBee
31st March 2019, 11:01 AM
Not much left of three of them to cut John ,the strike on one tree went down in a corkscrew like pattern and blew a hole in the ground next to the tree .
Oddly all trees were red stringy that were hit .

Great shots, I have seen a few trees like this over the years but didnt know what had caused them to blow apart, thought it was high winds and massive fractures - learnt something today,

GQtdauto
31st March 2019, 11:26 AM
Some more pics for those interested.

NissanGQ4.2
31st March 2019, 02:18 PM

Don't think it really matters mate

"During a storm, colliding particles of rain, ice, or snow inside storm clouds increase the imbalance between storm clouds and the ground, and often negatively charge the lower reaches of storm clouds. Objects on the ground, like steeples, trees, and the Earth itself, become positively charged—creating an imbalance that nature seeks to remedy by passing current between the two charges."

Source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/lightning/

Mc4by
31st March 2019, 03:20 PM
Great pics indeed. Nature's fury.

rusty_nail
31st March 2019, 09:19 PM
Don't think it really matters mate

"During a storm, colliding particles of rain, ice, or snow inside storm clouds increase the imbalance between storm clouds and the ground, and often negatively charge the lower reaches of storm clouds. Objects on the ground, like steeples, trees, and the Earth itself, become positively charged—creating an imbalance that nature seeks to remedy by passing current between the two charges."

Source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/lightning/On a side note, reckon you can make it down for roofys Meetup mate? Is there anything but money stopping you from coming?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
3rd April 2019, 06:38 PM
On a side note, reckon you can make it down for roofys Meetup mate? Is there anything but money stopping you from coming?

rusty_nail

Always money for me mate!!! But hey I smoke and drink so always broke! If I wasn't always broke I would be driving my petrol guzzlin GQ around *L* If I gave up smoking I could own 20 off them and even a few GU's!!!

But more this time is I have already booked from the 13th April till the 29th off work ( doing some work around the home and a few days at Jindabyne ) and I don't like my chances of getting the 3rd Friday and 6th Monday off, I could leave Friday around midday but would be pushing 2 be there by 9pm and would have 2 leave early Sunday morning :(

Shame in wasn't a few weeks beforehand :(

rusty_nail
3rd April 2019, 10:36 PM
I could probably get your a one way flight out of points if you can find money for the way back. Just an offer, it's nearly been a decade since your last Meetup lol

Maxhead
4th April 2019, 08:35 PM
rusty_nail

Always money for me mate!!! But hey I smoke and drink so always broke! If I wasn't always broke I would be driving my petrol guzzlin GQ around *L* If I gave up smoking I could own 20 off them and even a few GU's!!!

But more this time is I have already booked from the 13th April till the 29th off work ( doing some work around the home and a few days at Jindabyne ) and I don't like my chances of getting the 3rd Friday and 6th Monday off, I could leave Friday around midday but would be pushing 2 be there by 9pm and would have 2 leave early Sunday morning :(

Shame in wasn't a few weeks beforehand :(

All sorted Toddy, you get your arse to Canberra Saturday morning (very early)
We go down to MB’s for Roofy’s shin dig then we go back Sunday and you drive back from Canberra. Easy, cheap and no hassle... see you soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
4th April 2019, 08:42 PM
All sorted Toddy, you get your arse to Canberra Saturday morning (very early)
We go down to MB’s for Roofy’s shin dig then we go back Sunday and you drive back from Canberra. Easy, cheap and no hassle... see you soon!

NissanGQ4.2 get on to this!!! Free ride!

MB
4th April 2019, 08:51 PM
Top Blokes with a Grand Plan, Too Easy [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]