PDA

View Full Version : Just imagine!

Cuppa
23rd March 2019, 12:52 PM
I have been having a squiz at a couple of the accumulated rainfall forecast models for the next 10 days resulting from Cyclone Trevor's expected foray inland.

if the modelling (from Windy.com) proves to be correct some outback areas would get what I believe would be unprecedented amounts of rain.

Bear in mind that Birdsville's annual average is 181mm.

Even the more conservative model would be significant!

rusty_nail
23rd March 2019, 12:53 PM
Pretty amazing, I'm sure much needed too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

threedogs
23rd March 2019, 12:59 PM
Lake Eyre might fill up seeing Aust is shaped like a dish,,lol
QLD has been smashed with rain this summer

Yeti's Beast
23rd March 2019, 01:01 PM
They did say we should be buying land around some of those dry inland lakes because one day they might fill up again and you would have cheap water front house blocks [emoji1787]

Proud BTrol Owner
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plasnart
23rd March 2019, 01:02 PM
Right into channel country too. With the Qld floodwaters already funneling towards Lake Eyre expect a boom in bird life there. Will be heaven for twitchers.

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html

threedogs
23rd March 2019, 01:13 PM
Read the other day there are big plan to pipe water to the desert areas from the top end

Hodge
23rd March 2019, 03:21 PM
Cuppa

Will Trevor impact where you are at all ?

TimE
23rd March 2019, 04:51 PM
..... umm ....... we are headed up the Cape in early July .......... hope it dries up a bit by then :(

Cuppa
23rd March 2019, 05:35 PM
Cuppa

Will Trevor impact where you are at all ?

No Hodge, we are on the west coast, approx 750kms north of where Veronica is due to cause much destruction around midnight tonight. She passed us going southward a few days ago as a tropical low, but all we got was a few windy days, nothing extreme, as she was about 500kms off shore. She became a Cyclone & was named when about level with us & we were hoping she might turn toward the coast & head toward us as a cat 1 or 2 cyclone. Many thought she was probably the last chance for some decent rainfall in what has been one of the driest, if not THE driest wet season the North west Kimberley has ever seen. However with her rapid development to a Cat 4 (with potential to get to cat 5 before hitting land, we now feel we dodged a bullet. Port Hedland is staring down the barrel of gun with Veronica (already being referred to as 'Aunty Ronnie') due to hit land at least as a cat v4 around midnight tonight coinciding with a high spring tide. There will be significant flooding over a large area with rain fall of up to 500mm expected in addition to a 4 metre storm surge. All mines shut down & workers sent home.

78209 78210

Hodge
23rd March 2019, 05:47 PM
Cuppa

Thanks for the reply !
Sorry, I did mean Veronica , but stated Trevor in confusion.
My mate got sent home from one of the mines in Pilbara. He said bosses are prepping for the worst as Veronica is very slow , so she could spend some tome wreaking havoc as she moves through.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
25th March 2019, 08:14 AM
Currently raining in Birdsville. I think they will flood.....

PeeBee
25th March 2019, 08:51 AM
The mine I am working at is in 'wet weather alert mode right now', expecting the deluge to start tomorrow and run for a week. Roads will get cut again, rivers and creeks break their banks, mining in the pit will have to stop. We even have a zodiac inflatable with motor to ferry people back from the pits if they get caught - flows out here can be so big they dont allow the big haul trucks to cross the river as its too deep - which is circa 6m at a typical peak. Water peaks fall away pretty quickly.

I am currently working on the feasibility study for a levee to protect a proposed new pit, it has to be modelled on a 1 in 1000yr flood event - to put that into perspective, the flood in townsville was rated at a 1 in 500 yr level. The levee looks like being 10m high and 1.6km long running along the side of the creek that bisects the mine. For something that may never happen, its a lot of effort, but if it did and the levee wasn't in place it would kill the mine completely - the environmental licence states that once water enters a pit it can only be removed by evaporation or seepage thru the ground into the aquafier - cant pump except from pit to pit - very restrictive and difficult/expensive.

PeeBee
26th March 2019, 11:38 AM
Pissing down here, estimated 150mm over the next day or so, access roads already shut, flights into and out of Mt Isa cancelled to site - no radar on airstrip, so visual landing only. Hope it clears by thursday or the big bird wont land and take me away! No work going on as site under lightning alert conditions.

PeeBee
26th March 2019, 05:22 PM
Got a bit of weather at the moment, just had 200mm in last 4 hrs, building leaking like a sieve, water pouring through light fittings, flooded everywhere around here. Shot is of site lightning tracker - like Moomba fireworks out here right now - pisssssing down78217

We are located in the middle of the bullseye, so waiting for the worst to arrive!!

PeeBee
26th March 2019, 07:21 PM
Minesite evacuated at 4pm as rivers between camp and mine were rising at a rate of 300mm/minute - fierce flows, water 200mm deep for a couple of kilometers flowing hard, just plow on and line up the roadside markers, all good, starting to moderate a bit now, but sure will rain all night, boy did we get a dump from that cyclone up in the Gulf.

rusty_nail
26th March 2019, 07:30 PM
Minesite evacuated at 4pm as rivers between camp and mine were rising at a rate of 300mm/minute - fierce flows, water 200mm deep for a couple of kilometers flowing hard, just plow on and line up the roadside markers, all good, starting to moderate a bit now, but sure will rain all night, boy did we get a dump from that cyclone up in the Gulf.Where's the pics mate!!

Winnie
26th March 2019, 07:33 PM
Minesite evacuated at 4pm as rivers between camp and mine were rising at a rate of 300mm/minute - fierce flows, water 200mm deep for a couple of kilometers flowing hard, just plow on and line up the roadside markers, all good, starting to moderate a bit now, but sure will rain all night, boy did we get a dump from that cyclone up in the Gulf.Where are you working Philbo?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hodge
26th March 2019, 07:46 PM
Where are you working Philbo?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkSounds like he is Philbara .

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Plasnart
26th March 2019, 10:01 PM
Wonder where PB's gonna end up tonight? Big logistics to evacuate a camp that size at short notice. Hope he's got a roof over his head soon. 3h40m to the Isa from his camp if my reckoning is correct.

Check in when you can Phil and let us know you're OK mate!
PeeBee

PeeBee
27th March 2019, 07:05 AM
Hey guys, all good, back at the mine this morning. It was a wild night, no pics as simply too busy getting the hell out of the joint. The site is called Phosphate Hill, its a gypsum mine with a heavy acid and ammonia extraction plant on site - we mine the ore and make finished fertiliser for rail despatch. The recent floods took out the rail line for 70klm and 26 bridges, so the site has been in crisis management as it has not run, for at least 3 months - big losses, and coming back to site this morning, the acid plant and ammonia plant are silent - usually roaring like a jet engine. Anyway, my swing ends tomorrow night and not soon enough. I got back to my donga at 4.30 and hunkered down - it was raining so hard. Walked into the camp office and its afloat with roof leaks and the main admin building which is 100m x 50m is 3" deep in mud - not going to be a happy day today.
Thanks for the concern guys. It was basically a case of get out to camp and wait it out. I expect the flights out will resume this morning, subject to availability as there are 70 guys who should have been flying in from Bris last night and 70 leaving, plus 10 to Mt Isa.
Prior to the evac I was driving out the back of the mine inspecting some acid ponds and all of a sudden the dirt roads became brown rivers 100mm deep and rising. Really odd situation.

Location wise we are 3.5hrs by road south of Mt isa, 800klm west of Townsville, between Boulia and Mt isa, duchess and dajarra are the nearest forms of civilisation, located between two cattle stations, road ends here, middle of nowhere.

Cuppa
27th March 2019, 12:07 PM
For those with Facebook - a little post Veronica Pilbara humour.

https://www.facebook.com/ABCemergency/videos/370421590467766/

Brissieboy
27th March 2019, 03:29 PM
<snip> The site is called Phosphate Hill. <snip>
Quite remote. Actually been there a couple of times - came in via Duchess in a heavy vehicle making urgent deliveries, but quite a few years ago now. Hit a bloody 'roo first time in and knocked out all headlights. Wasn't at all pleased at the time, but can't help being impressed by the country around there. Gotta love the Aussie outback!!

PeeBee
27th March 2019, 03:41 PM
There you go, the place does exist - not just in my nightmares!! Yes road to duchess shut for at least a week, the concrete culvert river crossing about 5 k from site is badly damaged, under sroured and has a crack in the roadway so the two pieces are now misaligned - now thats going to be a head scratch to fix!.

More flies than oxygen out here at the moment, billions of the little black ones the size of rice grains

Cuppa
27th March 2019, 04:25 PM
I can see you PeeBee

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Phosphate+Hill/@-21.8874581,139.9734507,828a,35y,39.15t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6a1589a7638a81d7:0x1d00e ef275753bc0!8m2!3d-21.8815084!4d139.9780342?hl=en

I know that country a bit too, have stayed in Dajarra in the past.

PeeBee
27th March 2019, 04:32 PM
There you go Cuppa, thats a shot of the Beneficiation Plant that turns the crushed ore into a mud slurry before it gets leached with acid to make a hemihydrate crystal that turns into a lump of fertiliser - in simple terms!!! I have a project to deal with that dirty pond in the foreground as its not supposed to be discharged to the environment - licence upgrade to zero discharge due to numerous events of non compliance. Where I am supposed to send it - no one knows, so thinking of a bottling plant and sending it to the supermarkets as a high mineral health drink - yep, I think laterally.

MB
27th March 2019, 07:44 PM
Please do bring an IBC of whatever H2o back down home Philstar, stay safe, she’s still crunchy under foot in mexico:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10G
28th March 2019, 03:41 PM
Where I am supposed to send it - no one knows, so thinking of a bottling plant and sending it to the supermarkets as a high mineral health drink - yep, I think laterally.

Hahaha, love it.

PeeBee
28th March 2019, 04:24 PM
Hahaha, love it.

Place is full of people who make the most astounding statements and propose the most ridiculous solutions and constraints, then it gets minuted and defined as a deliverable - total bag of laughs at times, except when the action gets assigned to you.

10G
29th March 2019, 12:06 PM
Place is full of people who make the most astounding statements and propose the most ridiculous solutions and constraints, then it gets minuted and defined as a deliverable - total bag of laughs at times, except when the action gets assigned to you.

The larger the enterprise the larger the BS and the more outlandish the claims & statements.

Plasnart
27th May 2019, 06:09 PM
Right into channel country too. With the Qld floodwaters already funneling towards Lake Eyre expect a boom in bird life there. Will be heaven for twitchers.

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html

Here's the latest water flows and levels from Lake Eyre Yacht Club:

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom

Apparently there's another wave on it's way from Cyclone Trevor. Well that's according to Ch 10 news so wouldn't hang my hat on that info, but I'd love to personally see water in Lake Eyre some day.

jack
27th May 2019, 08:22 PM
Here's the latest water flows and levels from Lake Eyre Yacht Club:

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom

Apparently there's another wave on it's way from Cyclone Trevor. Well that's according to Ch 10 news so wouldn't hang my hat on that info, but I'd love to personally see water in Lake Eyre some day.

I’ll send you a picture Plassy, trips starts in a little under four weeks. Hope it’s not to crowded.

MB
27th May 2019, 08:46 PM
Give Lilydale Airport (grass strips just out of Yarra Glen) a call Plasnart mate. They usually do a pretty decent price on a couple of day refuel stops hop over Eyre rains for higher than Avian flocks views.

Plasnart
27th May 2019, 09:19 PM
I’ll send you a picture Plassy, trips starts in a little under four weeks. Hope it’s not to crowded.

Oh you lucky bugger! Trevor Wright is busiest he's ever been apparently. Think there's a steady flow of people as well as water up that way at the moment! Enjoy mate!

Plasnart
27th May 2019, 09:22 PM
Give Lilydale Airport (grass strips just out of Yarra Glen) a call Plasnart mate. They usually do a pretty decent price on a couple of day refuel stops hop over Eyre rains for higher than Avian flocks views.

Fair dinkum! I would never have thought of that. Might just have to make a call to get an idea of what that might cost. Wouldn't want a P-plater pilot though at that distance....

Plasnart
27th May 2019, 09:32 PM

Earlier this year I flew Mel/Dar, Dar/Mel approximately 14 times. Flew east of Lake Eyre so that wasn't visible but flew over Lake Frome (dry) and just west of Goyder Lagoon. Most of the time I couldn't see any water but on one or two occasions when the sun was at the right angle the land looked like it was covered in diamonds, with all the light flashes from the sun off the creeks and waterholes. Looked amazing, but from 31,000ft not as great as it would be from a Cessna.

Spent a lot of time looking out of windows for a couple of months!

MB
27th May 2019, 09:34 PM
All good mate, them little Warriors & Cesnna rippers can glide onto any paddock from here to there flatish country run :-)
Ask for Johno!

Rossco
28th May 2019, 07:03 AM
Did notice they had it advertised on the billboard out the front would be interested to see what they charge. Mum & dad were just in Coober Pedy the other day and decided to take a detour to William Creek and do a fly over the great lake. Lucky bastards liv'n the dream good on em . . .