PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing lifespan

Jakeguy49
23rd March 2019, 08:00 AM
What sort of lifespan do people typically get out of genuine wheel bearings? Have you noticed much difference in other brands?

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2019, 09:36 AM
How long is a piece of string?
Are the bearings installed properly, maintained properly, larger tyres and/or rim offset, High quality Japanese bearings or chinese crap? There is no typical lifespan

threedogs
23rd March 2019, 11:47 AM
My 2004 GU 3ltr had the front wheel bearings replaced at 120k
now Im up to 240k and fronts are doing well, will be replaced
when front locker is fitted,

Cuppa
23rd March 2019, 12:25 PM
Had rear wheel bearings replaced on our leafy ute mid last year at just over 200,000kms. Mechanic commented that he found one side 'running a bit dry, & on the other side diff oil was just starting to weep past the seal. He added that "despite being large bearings the weight carried makes a big difference to lifespan". I reckon I 'caught them' at the right time. Had not noticed any issues, just wanted to know that all was good before going remote.

Front wheel bearings, (new at 130,000kms) I look after myself, & carry spares for. I checked & repacked them & fitted new seals at 165,000 when fitting upgraded brake discs & again at just over 200,000kms as part of pre-trip preparation.

Snafu
24th March 2019, 10:05 PM
Bearing life span is a very difficult to answer. It depends on many factors, but I did my front bearings and they had just over 200,000k's on them. Now on where there made this is funny as my old man was in the bearing game for 30+ years. So the " Japan or European made " brand bearings are made in many different countries including china and others. Its a long story but all I can say is stick to brand name bearings. They maybe made in the other countries but made to the company specs.

garett
25th March 2019, 12:04 AM
well I took out the rear bearings at about 550 000km... first time they were even looked at. only changed cos I went to disc's, new 2nd hand housing axles ect,
on the 2nd or 3rd set at the front.

Jakeguy49
26th March 2019, 02:35 AM
Great, thanks guys. I'm new to Patrols, and those guestimates are encouraging.

In the past I've worked with a few cars where bearings would only last around 40,000km, even for the better brands....sounds like bearings on the Patrols are a lot more robust