PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size question

Mc4by
1st March 2019, 11:34 PM
I currently run 265's but hear a lot about 285's being better.
My plan is to run the big map and I am hoping to hear from others who have done this and what they think works better as an all round option.
I will run lots of back roads, not just highways, towing a camper trailer, under 1.5 tonne.

2002 GU3 Di Auto

0-TJ-0
2nd March 2019, 07:22 AM
You would maybe benefit having a bit extra meat there for when you air down, plus a bit extra clearance if you got on something a bit technical. You would trade off on your gearing a bit.

I think it would come down to preference. Me personally, unless I needed a new set anyway wouldn't even consider it. But then it's been years since I've ran 285s

the evil twin
2nd March 2019, 12:29 PM
Wot 'e said x 2 ^^^^ plus you will use more fuel (wider, same dia = more rolling resistance... wider plus inc dia = more rolling resistance and poorer gearing)

If your current set are down a bit and you have to get newbys on the trip at some point do it in a major city tho, bush prices can be obscene

Mc4by
2nd March 2019, 12:51 PM
The 285's look good, but I will be inside anyway so I won't see them :)
Fuel and power ratio are powerful persuaders over the distance we will be travelling.

gaddy
2nd March 2019, 09:45 PM
After running 285s for many years , I went to 265s this time , our van is just shy of 3t
Haven't noticed a difference in fuel economy ... 2 many variables in road and wind conditions , driving styles to suit the terrain etc . ( and to be honest I'm not really interested , it is what it is )

Where i have noticed a big difference is acceleration from a standing start , and way easier on the clutch ! ( that was my reason for the change to 265s anyway ) , and has also allowed me to use 5th on flat roads without a headwind , and still keep the old 4.2 tdi in its happy rev range at 100kph , with the van on , so the old 33s are a thing of the past for me ! Didn't " LOOK " right at first , but got over that pretty quickly after the first run with the van !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cuppa
2nd March 2019, 11:29 PM
I run 265/75's ( with 2" lift)- hasn't once been an instance where I wished we had bigger.

265/75 is the modern 7.50R16 in that it's a common size obtainable at just about anywhere that tyres can be bought.

I've been happy with the Bridgestone D697 AT's & will replace with the same before we leave Broome. The tread got a bit chipped on the Qld channel country roads where they use quartz, but I reckon those roads would do the same to any tyre. We picked up a 3" nail in one tyre at the remains of an old homestead. Went in at a bit of an angle, but even so I was amazed when I pulled it out & no hiss of air. That was almost 18 months ago, & never had any further problem. Gave me confidence about their puncture resistance. Have also run them at low pressures for long distances in hot weather, with heavy loads. They are not worn out, but at 6 years old & 7 getting down, (approx 4mm) I feel better getting new ones given where we are headed next. Tyres can be very expensive in out of the way places, but we've found a place just outside Broome where I can buy them for the same fitted price I paid in Victoria. Apparently Wayne at Broome Mechanical has some sort of deal where no freight gets charged on tyres. Worth bearing in mind if you have a set that you think might get you to Broome. But having said that - the confidence factor in having new or near new tyres when heading remote is high. Carrying two spares is good insurance against getting punctures! :) Three if the ones on the camper are not interchangeable with the tow vehicle.

0-TJ-0
3rd March 2019, 09:09 AM
Bit of a side note but Cuppa reminded me how good my last set of tyres were. I don't know exactly what their lable was but I had Bridgestone AT's in 265s for the first 60,000kms as they came band new when I got the car and couldn't justify buying new. They were a great tyre, only ever got a puncture once when they were getting down on tread and it was a nail.

Ran them for more k's than I can remember at low pressures and at times probably higher speeds than I should have on shitty roads around central aus. Even threw some good mud (at near new) when the roads turned to slush.

Trying the BFGoodrich now.. I have high expectations!

Mc4by
3rd March 2019, 09:22 AM
I have Bridgestone Dueller AT 265/75/16 at them moment. I have a 2 inch lift which leaves plenty of clearance. They have plenty of tred left and have done all I have asked them to. I don't drive through bog holes if I can find another way around.
I will look into the D697's as I have been happy enough with Bridgestone.

trev zd30
3rd March 2019, 09:47 AM
You may already know this but.........

One thing I learnt very early on is to make sure the tyres you run, what ever the size, are light truck (LT) rated.

Be careful not to fall into the price incentive and buying the same tyre in passenger grade.

LT tyres have more sidewall and tread plies, which makes the heavier, but also considerable stronger

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mc4by
3rd March 2019, 10:44 AM
You may already know this but.........

One thing I learnt very early on is to make sure the tyres you run, what ever the size, are light truck (LT) rated.

Be careful not to fall into the price incentive and buying the same tyre in passenger grade.

LT tyres have more sidewall and tread plies, which makes the heavier, but also considerable stronger

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Good information trev zd30.
Sometimes in haste we can forget the basics.

Wizard52
30th March 2019, 01:07 PM
Add to above that only the Bridgestone dealers have the Japanese tyres. Other 3rd party outlets have same tyres but can be made in various other countries which IMHO are not as good.
I currently have 697's and very happy although the gravel roads do reduce life by 10 to 15%.

10G
2nd April 2019, 02:51 PM
A few years ago when I had the Navara I ran 285s on that. Then went down to 265s and it was much nicer to drive, acceleration, braking even steering, all better. I've had the Patrol for almost 3 years and don't think I'll ever go bigger than 265s.

You can get new or 2nd hand 265s anywhere coz they're so popular, not so much 285s.

Me personally, I find 285s too heavy to lift these days, not so much 265s, so there's that sort of thing to think about as well.

I've been running Nitto Trail Grapplers for the past whatever and they are bloody tough, also bloody heavy, but also cheaper than Coopers and BFGs.

When I changed from 285 to 265 on the Nav I didn't notice any difference in fuel usage, but as I mentioned, the ute became much nicer to drive. The extra height you'll get from a 285 is really bugger all, it just means you get stuck on the next higher thing, that's all.

Ghosts
2nd April 2019, 08:35 PM
When I was going to buy tyres, the wagon had those 265/75/16 on the rims, I was looking at a set of 285 for the Patrol, only because my brother had a set. BFG had a spesh on their rubber and by the time I paid for the tyres, the sales man said they put 305/70/16 on, as they`re the same size tyre nearly to what I was after and the spare is in the rear of the vehicle, as it wouldn`t fit on the spare wheel carrier that was bolted to the door. I haven`t felt any difference in the change of tyre size at all, but I do know that my speedo shows the same as a radar monitor that they put on the side of the road from time to time. They`ll give you a bit more clearance too, but if it`s of some benefits in a good way, it must be okay.