PDA

View Full Version : Engine mount symptoms ?

Hodge
2nd February 2019, 04:13 PM
Gentlemen. Educate me on engine mounts.
What're some worn mount/s symptoms on a TD42 , that are obvious and is there any trickery I could use to check them ???

For a little while now I've had a minor "clunk" up front , sometimes when taking off and sometimes when coming off load. There has also been an increasing vibration, or more like a cycling "hum" when the engine is under load, especially when at lower revs.
I was under the car before checking everything exhaust related, to make sure nothing is loose in that department ... Cant find anything suspicious.

Picture below is of my passenger side mount.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77813&stc=1

Ben-e-boy
2nd February 2019, 06:35 PM
See how the rubber looks 'cleaner' in some areas, especially between the rubber and the top mount. Thats a good sign thats it's coming apart

Hodge
2nd February 2019, 07:00 PM
See how the rubber looks 'cleaner' in some areas, especially between the rubber and the top mount. Thats a good sign thats it's coming apart

I did notice that. But just wasn't sure. To me it screamed, "movement" and "rubbing".

Hodge
2nd February 2019, 08:58 PM
Yup , she's f****d . Passenger side.
I used a pry bar and moved it easily and when I lifted it slightly could see polished parts inside.

So passenger side is super common to fail on these.
Are they usually replaced in pairs ? I couldn't pry any movement drivers side so it could be ok ?

Also passenger side looks easy-ish to do.
But the drivers side with the pump right there looks like a nightmare to do.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Clunk
2nd February 2019, 09:24 PM
Only ever had to do the passenger side myself

Winnie
2nd February 2019, 09:33 PM
Nah if the drivers side looks good then leave it. If it fails later on, deal with it then.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hodge
2nd February 2019, 09:52 PM
Nah if the drivers side looks good then leave it. If it fails later on, deal with it then.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkOk thanks Chris.

Stupid question .
When only changing the passenger side one, will the motor " twist" enough towards the drivers (without unboltting drivers mount) side when being lifted in order to clear the bolt of the culprit mount?

Hodge
4th February 2019, 01:16 PM
Not 100% sure . But I think my motor is jumping enough for the fan to scrape the underside of top rad. Shroud.
Sometimes when I take off with extra foot this scraping , grinding noise happens ...
Mount must be more fubar than I thought.

drgtr
4th March 2019, 09:28 PM
Hey Hodge.

If in doubt replace it anyway. I did recently but my one ended up being
the spring coil rubber top!

They were shagged so spring was vibrating directly on metal creating a burrrr sound on low revs