PDA

View Full Version : SCA Inverters

Mc4by
16th January 2019, 12:26 AM
I am about to pull the trigger on a Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
Does anyone have any experience with the SCA models?
I don't know a watt from a volt but need to charge camera and laptop while on extended trips.

PeeBee
16th January 2019, 07:20 AM
I dont know anything about brand, however your demand load is going to be low, so I would have thought the only issue is reliability? I run a 3500w/7000w pure sine wave unit, unsure of brand but chinese I suspect and it runs a coffee machine and power tools without effort, so maybe not the need to head 'high end' for this application. Cuppa is probably a good start as he has a reliability requirement with his use I believe.

10G
16th January 2019, 12:51 PM
I was on a trip and the first time I went to use our inverter it was a complete flop, I suspect even though it was rated at 300W and I only needed low 200s, it wasn't up to it.

I dropped into the local Autopro where I was and got an 800W Aerpro inverter. Used it every day through the Simspon charging a small battery & it worked perfectly.

The only suggestion I'd make is work out how much power you're going to consume then buy an inverter rated at twice your requirement.

PeeBee
16th January 2019, 01:00 PM
I was on a trip and the first time I went to use our inverter it was a complete flop, I suspect even though it was rated at 300W and I only needed low 200s, it wasn't up to it.

I dropped into the local Autopro where I was and got an 800W Aerpro inverter. Used it every day through the Simspon charging a small battery & it worked perfectly.

The only suggestion I'd make is work out how much power you're going to consume then buy an inverter rated at twice your requirement.

A few of the inverter suppliers have lists that correspond to load V inverter size, no doubt on the net generally also

Mc4by
16th January 2019, 01:05 PM
Good advice PeeBee and 10G.
I will seek out the draw information and work from there.
The laptop is approximately 60 watt but no idea on the camera batteries.
SCA do some good stuff but I am thinking for an inverter I will go up a level.

Cuppa
16th January 2019, 01:37 PM
Be careful, buying the wrong inverter could cost you big time. The property where we are caretaking has a big solar/battery/inverter set up. As far as we can tell the inverter is a Pure sine wave, or at least was. Plug my laptop or ipad in to charge it & the power brick emits a quiet buzzing, which it doesnt when plugged into the inverter in our car. It also gets hotter than normal, & the laptop if used whilst plugged in ran a fair bit hotter than usual. Then it died. Macbook Pro's are not cheap items & the fried main logic board (motherboard) was going to cost as much as a 5 year old laptop was worth. Ended up getting a new one. My belief is that the Pure sine wave inverter has somehow failed & is no longer putting out a pure sine wave, but something 'dirtier' with greater harmonic distortion - much like using a modified square wave inverter. Not good with sensitive switch mode electronics as in computers & computer chargers. Buzzing & running hot is the classic symptom.

I have no knowledge of the quality of SCA inverters. I have always bought Pure sine wave inverters, but have had some premature failures with cheapies, one failed the first time I used it, cutting in & out every 30 seconds as it heated up, it needed an internal cooling fan & didn't have one. We were on the road at the time & relying on being able to use it. Royal PIA!. Threw it in a bin & bought a replacement in Mt Isa.

We now have two inverters, one in the Patrol & one in the Tvan. Both are Victron Phoenix,a 350w & a 180w. I thoroughly recommend them. They are high quality, able to exceed their stated output without breaking a sweat (I ran a 500w load on my 350w inverter for an hour to test it) , weigh twice as much as other inverters of the same output (extra weight is generally not good, but with inverters is generally a sign of better quality) & are surprisingly well priced. If just charging camera & laptop a 180w one would be fine, I have the 350w one to also run a Makita 18v battery fast charger. The 180w doesn't have a fan & doesn't need one.

This is the one I have https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Victron-Phoenix-Inverter-12V-180VA/162482175087?hash=item25d4b13c6f:g:6SkAAOSwImRYM62 I:rk:24:pf:0

However this one (200w) is on sale at a pretty amazing price. Allows use with a phone app too. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTRON-12V-250VA-Phoenix-VE-Direct-Inverter/292805063995?hash=item442c8ab53b:g:eK0AAOSwAThb4NW V:rk:13:pf:0 Not sure whether it has similar construction to my ones, but imagine it would. Victron have a good name.

If it's reliability you want at a good price I reckon it's just about impossible to go past the Victron Phoenix range! I think it almost certain that anything SCA are selling under their own brand would be way down the scale in comparison quality wise.

EDIT: Oh & the Victron's come with a 5 year warranty too.

Mc4by
17th January 2019, 01:02 AM
Cuppa
I really appreciate the effort you put in to your reply.
Based on your comprehensive response I am looking into Victron now.
Pure sine wave is something I have heard about being better for laptops.
I don't think I need more than 200 watts for my needs as I have USB and Cigarette sockets already running.

VK2FMIA
17th January 2019, 12:02 PM
Have been running a laptop in the workshop powered by an inverter for a couple of years now. I`m using a 200w ebay cheapy. Also have a power meter hooked up to the 12v battery I run the inverter off. Average is around 60 watts depending on what the laptop is doing. Maximum watts the laptop pulls is around 75 - 80 watts when recharging the laptop battery.

Brisey
17th January 2019, 09:33 PM
Hey Steve
Does your camera charge from USB? An option could be to get a 12 volt powerpack from Jaycar & charge the camera from the laptop.

Cheers

Bri

Mc4by
17th January 2019, 09:45 PM
Hey Steve
Does your camera charge from USB? An option could be to get a 12 volt powerpack from Jaycar & charge the camera from the laptop.

Cheers

Bri

Brisey, my laptop (surface) doesn't have a 12 volt option yet that is supported on warranty by microsoft.
So it looks like the inverter may be the only way out for now.

Coldcomfort
20th January 2019, 06:00 PM
I think that I would just go with REDARC. With inverters you only get what you pay for. And even that isn’t certain

PeeBee
20th January 2019, 06:05 PM
I think that I would just go with REDARC. With inverters you only get what you pay for. And even that isn’t certain

Well, that a definite recommendation, I think?