PDA

View Full Version : Paul j

Paul j
1st January 2019, 02:59 PM
Hi new member just bought my first patrol 98 gu wagon .
2.8 turbo diesel 5 speed .
Question it will barely take off on hills when towing and is sluggish seems to have no torque down low in the rev range .
Also over heats when towing when running A/C but fine when off .
Also has a grindy noise while driving and then something ingages properly with a clunk and noise goes away .
Any advise would be appreciated

Mc4by
1st January 2019, 04:15 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

GQtdauto
1st January 2019, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard

PeeBee
1st January 2019, 07:32 PM
The 2.8 unfortunately is not the strongest of performers when its put into a 3T vehicle then asked to tow anything. I had one in a GQ and ended up doing an engine swap. I think the advantage you have with the GU however is that a number of chip upgrades are avail, plus exhaust, egr block, and I put a Marks 4x4 reduction gear in the transfer case and it transformed the vehicle in the bush in low range. I went the 85% reduction but keep your eyes out for a guy who offers a 63% reduction gearset as a special run - I think these would work well also. You need to stay on top of the air filter as well as they are easily going to die if they can't breath, and they will be breathing hard. I had mine actually stall on a steep hill on the bitumen - could not get it off the line.

Paul j
1st January 2019, 08:23 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys .
Will look into a chip upgrade first .
I hear a 4.2 td swap is very expensive?.

PeeBee
1st January 2019, 08:25 PM
Patrol A Part have a brand spanking engine for sale now for 14K, but then there is installation and all the bits that hang off it that can't be pinched from the 2.8. They do a drive in - drive out conversion i understand, give them a call

Clunk
1st January 2019, 09:50 PM
I've engaged nothing [emoji8]

Avo
1st January 2019, 10:46 PM
I've engaged nothing [emoji8]Apart from ya mouth before ya brain...n a heap of other shite

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk