PDA

View Full Version : GPS/maps

Rodm
31st December 2018, 04:08 PM
Hi guys,

What is everyone using for GPS/maps? I've always used the rooftop hardcopy maps which have done me well but I should really update to a computerised model. Looking at Garmin etc although don't even know where to start. Main use will be off-road maps, high country etc.

Hodge
31st December 2018, 06:02 PM
I have a collection of paper maps HEMA and rooftop. Mainly Vic high country and local mountain. Wherever I head, I make sure I have a physical paper copy.

As for digital. I had Hema explorer app.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Brisey
31st December 2018, 06:20 PM
I use Oziexplorer on the Hema HN1 & oziexplorer for android

Cheers
Bri

the evil twin
31st December 2018, 07:29 PM
Another vote for OziExplorer (but you knew that anyway eh Brisey)

Ozi can't be beat IMHO and I store any digitised image I can get, street maps, topo maps, geo maps, marine charts, park maps, pics (incl Google Earth and aerial photos) then load them for where I am going. Photos take a poo poo load of memory and can be slow but nothing beats an aerial photo run if you can fit it on the card...

taslucas
1st January 2019, 09:22 AM
I was thinking of getting the Hema HX1 but at around $550 i won't be buying for a while.
Where do you get oziexplorer for Android? I looked on google play store but couldn't find it. I'd like to try that on my phone before looking at the hema

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

the evil twin
1st January 2019, 01:12 PM
I download and/or purchase the Ozi products direct ... that way you know you get the latest version etc

https://www.oziexplorer4.com/au/

Brisey
1st January 2019, 05:41 PM
I was thinking of getting the Hema HX1 but at around $550 i won't be buying for a while.
Where do you get oziexplorer for Android? I looked on google play store but couldn't find it. I'd like to try that on my phone before looking at the hema

Oziexplorer products don't come with maps but they can be bought from the website as well. Ozi products all come as fully functional trial software with nag screens so you can experiment for the cost of a map unless you know someone that can give you a map for "evaluation purposes"

taslucas
1st January 2019, 06:31 PM
I tried to download to my phone from your link evil but it says the sites dodgy and won't open the download lol

(Sorry for the hijack Rodm!)

nutloose
1st January 2019, 10:42 PM
I run a Samsung galaxy tab2 8 inch in a suction cup holder on the windscreen rested on my dash and run between hema, Google maps and Androzic. Hema for major off-road areas, Google maps for little bits hema have missed and Androzic for backup.

taslucas
2nd January 2019, 08:09 AM
How do you find the reception/signal strength of the tablet? I don't get a very accurate location using my phone.

(again, sorry for the hijack Rodm but hopefully you're getting some info out of this too!)

Rodm
4th January 2019, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys, gives me something to go on. Was out Licola/Dargo way last few days and the paper maps still do their job but would love the ease of the gps maps.

Brisey
5th January 2019, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys, gives me something to go on. Was out Licola/Dargo way last few days and the paper maps still do their job but would love the ease of the gps maps.

If you go for oziexplorer for the PC you can scan your favourite paper maps then configure them to be used on all devices running ozi.