PDA

View Full Version : EGT Temps

surfman
16th December 2018, 08:56 AM
Hi

First time post as I've just joined. I have a 2011 Patrol and have replaced the intercooler with a larger one from 4wd Systems in Adelaide. I'd like to know why my egt temps haven't dropped. The intercooler as a fan on the rear which also doesn't make any difference. I have plumbed it in to the standard Nissan intercooler plumbing and am wondering if that's the problem. Other mods done are egr block, 3 inch exhaust, catch can, dawes valve and a DP Chip. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hodge
16th December 2018, 04:10 PM
Hi mate. So what are your EGTs like? Give us some scenarios? 500+ when pushed???

I had a 2009 CRD Patrol. I replaced my leaking factory IC with a dieslepower unit, and my EGT's all around have not really dropped all that much. Were talking 30-50 C drop around town and cruising. But where it helped the most was when car was being pushed and the new IC capped the EGT's to aroud 550 ish... Where as prior to that I could have pushed 650 easily.

The largest improvement in EGT's I have personally gained was from installing and properly tuning the Dawes and needle valves.

surfman
16th December 2018, 05:29 PM
Hi and thanks for the reply. EGTs are between 350 to 450 when cruising around town and open highway driving but I live in the Hawkesbury NSW and when going home, which is up in the mountains, it'll easily get into the mid to high 600s. When I'm towing my Jayco Hawk home it'll get into the low 700s. Dawes valve is set to 16psi, apparently. Would increasing the boost lower the temps? If so, how do I adjust.

Thanks again

Hodge
16th December 2018, 05:36 PM
When you say "apparently" I'll assume you dont have a boost gauge ?
CRD are known for reaching 600-700 out of factory easily.

mudski
16th December 2018, 06:25 PM
Hi and thanks for the reply. EGTs are between 350 to 450 when cruising around town and open highway driving but I live in the Hawkesbury NSW and when going home, which is up in the mountains, it'll easily get into the mid to high 600s. When I'm towing my Jayco Hawk home it'll get into the low 700s. Dawes valve is set to 16psi, apparently. Would increasing the boost lower the temps? If so, how do I adjust.

Thanks again

Yeah get some boost in there mate. These motors will easily handle 25psi. To increase your boost just wind in the Dawes valve. Putting more pressure on the spring. Increase it to 18-20psi atleast I reckon.
I feel dirty saying the name of that valve now. Lol.

Hodge
16th December 2018, 06:32 PM
Yeah get some boost in there mate. These motors will easily handle 25psi. To increase your boost just wind in the Dawes valve. Putting more pressure on the spring. Increase it to 18-20psi atleast I reckon.
I feel dirty saying the name of that valve now. Lol.Trouble is , he will hit limp ...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bidja
16th December 2018, 07:46 PM
Hi

First time post as I've just joined. I have a 2011 Patrol and have replaced the intercooler with a larger one from 4wd Systems in Adelaide. I'd like to know why my egt temps haven't dropped. The intercooler as a fan on the rear which also doesn't make any difference. I have plumbed it in to the standard Nissan intercooler plumbing and am wondering if that's the problem. Other mods done are egr block, 3 inch exhaust, catch can, dawes valve and a DP Chip. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Welcome to the forum mate. Drop across to the intro section any say G'day if U have not already done so and tell us a bit about yourself.

The info here (from me), is based on 08CRD with ECU remap, stock turbo, max B 22psi - not DP Chip. Your EGT are representative of running at 16psi boost with NADS. I prefer not to run EGTs above 650 for longer period of time.
Larger coolers and improved induction can help with lowering EGTs and to shorten the recovery time after hauling, but even with your mods (excluding DP Chip), running higher boost is where you will mainly see a drop in EGTs but limp fault is the concern then from over boosting when hauling..
From my experience, large TMIC, CC ultimate or JT cooler (cores 600x300x76mm) running 20+ max boost will drop EGTs (over nom stock IC) by 25-50 degC cruising @ <50% eng load and as much as 80-100 degC hauling @ 80-100% eng load. The issue for you is can the DP Chip run with higher boost levels above the stock 16psi? As Hodge mentioned, have you a boost gauge fitted or other means to read boost levels.

You need to ascertain weather DP Chip can operate with higher boost levels, there maybe a higher boost mod option available. I have no experience here. I have only ever had ECU remaps and when running a stock turbo ran Max Boost 22psi. To answer your question of how to increase boost, you wind the Dawes valve in clockwise incrementally(of which we can help), but first you need to to know if the DP Chip can handle CRD at higher boost and a means of measuring you boost levels..

mudski
16th December 2018, 07:52 PM
Trouble is , he will hit limp ...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Just keep winding it up until you do. The CRD's will go higher in boost before they hit limp before a Di does. He should see 18 -20 psi before limp mode kicks in. Thats how I used to tune all the 3ltrs that came to me. Wind them out unitl limp mode then back it off to just under that limit.

Bidja
16th December 2018, 07:59 PM
Just keep winding it up until you do. The CRD's will go higher in boost before they hit limp before a Di does. He should see 18 -20 psi before limp mode kicks in. Thats how I used to tune all the 3ltrs that came to me. Wind them out unitl limp mode then back it off to just under that limit.

Flat going or hauling with tow up hill(stock ECU)?

mudski
16th December 2018, 08:11 PM
Flat going or hauling with tow up hill(stock ECU)?

Doesn't matter. Along a flat or up a hill towing. The boost will max out at the same point. Id usually road tune it on a hill though. As it would spool up faster on a hill too with some load. Spool rates can also trick the ECU thinking its over boosting, when its actually not.

Bidja
16th December 2018, 09:15 PM
Doesn't matter. Along a flat or up a hill towing. The boost will max out at the same point. Id usually road tune it on a hill though. As it would spool up faster on a hill too with some load. Spool rates can also trick the ECU thinking its over boosting, when its actually not.

Well, with stock ECU, I could run around flat with needle closed (max spool) have max boost 18 psi no worries, even go 20psi (with max spool set), but then start hauling especially with tow up hill and would get limp. Found I had to back the boost off to 16.5 psi as the ECU could not keep the fuel up to it (get limp). Always set my max boost (CRD) with either Tillix/Dawes with max spool and then adjust needle to set spool rate that suits.

So, do agree best to set max boost on a hill climb.

surfman
17th December 2018, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. No I don't have a boost gauge. When the Dawes valve was installed they said it was set to 16psi. So should I give it a couple of clicks and see how I go? Will I notice the difference between 16psi and say 18-20psi in the driving?

Bidja
17th December 2018, 05:21 PM
18-20 psi boost will improve driveability and EGTs will be lower, if no limp occurs. Give Berrima diesel (02) 4877 1256 a call and see if there DP Chip works with higher boost on CRD.

It is a good idea to know what boost you are running, good option is to possibly by an Ultragauge (EM Plus) that will provide useful performance measurement data (eg: boost, kW/N-m, ECT, eng load, fuel rail pressure etc). Can buy them direct from manufacturer in the US for $149AUD posted. Also will identify fault codes, be able to clear them eg: if U get limp or other faults and is a good for diagnostic tool. For CRD, plugs into your OBD11 port. Check it out or similar first before playing.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

surfman
1st January 2019, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone seen/used one of these and if so, any good?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Autohil-Bluetooth-OBD2-Scan-Tool-For-Android-Car-OBD-II-Engine-Data-Code-Reader/253703796536?epid=9020696510&hash=item3b11ecb738:rk:4:pf:0