PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge probe location

JackoGQYoot
9th December 2018, 10:23 PM
Hi guys
I want to fit some gauges to my car.
First question is: where is the best place to put EGT probe? dump pipe or manifold?

How do you drill and tap a 1/8NPT thread?

I have a high mount manifold with the provision for an external wastegate. Do you reckon I could install it in the blanking plate thats on there?

Also, is this the line you install the boost controller and boost guage tee on? Do you put the tee before or after the boost controller in the line?

Where do you usually run your PCV breather on top of the rocker cover?

Cheers

mudski
10th December 2018, 08:09 AM
Hi guys
I want to fit some gauges to my car.
First question is: where is the best place to put EGT probe? dump pipe or manifold?

Post or pre turbo is fine. Its only a gauge for your reference.

How do you drill and tap a 1/8NPT thread?

with a drill and a tap and die set. Lol. Sorry had to be said.

I have a high mount manifold with the provision for an external wastegate. Do you reckon I could install it in the blanking plate thats on there?
sure why not? Looks easy enough there.

Also, is this the line you install the boost controller and boost guage tee on? Do you put the tee before or after the boost controller in the line?

Goes in the air intake between the air box and turbo...
Cheers

Answers in bold....

PeeBee
10th December 2018, 09:01 AM
Go for a welded socket instead of a drilled and tapped hole in the dump pipe. There is not enough wall thickness to keep the thread from getting loose as it heats up - I know because I tried it and it failed - now have 1/4" NPT sockets, with reducing bush to 1/8"NPT in both headers for my EGT's and happy days. It cost me $50 for both sockets to be welded in at a local exhaust place and I supplied the mild steel sockets. You can buy the sockets on ebay. Check the size of the connection though as some pyro's have 1/8" on the probe and then have a special seating socket with male and female threads, hence why I have the 1/4" welded instead of going straight to 1/8"

JackoGQYoot
10th December 2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys.
PeeBee, I'm just a bit worried about the taper thread on the egt probe. Will the tap cut it alright?
Cheers

Hodge
10th December 2018, 11:43 AM

Usually gets dumped back into your intake. Put a catch can on it instead.

Mate, I'm intrigued by your intake setup. Any chance of a full photo of it???

the evil twin
10th December 2018, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys.
PeeBee, I'm just a bit worried about the taper thread on the egt probe. Will the tap cut it alright?
Cheers

Tapered threads are only tapered on the male, the female thread is parallel so no worries with tapping a thread... but... on the dump you are better off welding on an adapter as prev posted.

Best place is for the probe is the manifold, putting it post turbo means you are "guessing" the delta T lost thru the Turbo.
Different turbo setups/manifolds/positions will have different losses
Depends how close to the edge you want to run the engine.

PeeBee
10th December 2018, 01:12 PM
As @ET says above. There is simply no meat in the dump pipe as its sheet metal. If going into the manifold watch out for swarf getting inside the engine. This goes for the drilling operation as well. If you go with the welded socket you only have to worry about the drill hole.

JackoGQYoot
11th December 2018, 01:59 AM
Hodge it's just a temporary setup until I get a patroldocta airbox.😁
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?41568-First-car-GQ-Coil-Cab/&page=3

Yeah I will probly go pre turbo. Cause I have that blanking plate it makes it pretty easy.

First Pooy
12th December 2018, 07:40 PM
Well it looks like my manifold will be coming off now, I am now practically taking half the engine appart lol

Hodge
12th December 2018, 08:17 PM
Well it looks like my manifold will be coming off now, I am now practically taking half the engine appart lolWhat's happened mate ?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

First Pooy
13th December 2018, 08:27 PM
Nothing has happened I am putting in a new turbo and pump and I want to take my cooling system apart to check it out and I want to put my EGT prob post turbo so I want to take the manifold off to drill and weld I do not want to take any chances of swarf getting in and I am pluming up my new fmic and also most likely redoing the intake grrrr lol

JackoGQYoot
15th December 2018, 10:43 PM
Hey guys
Now I'm around to turning the fuel up on my fuel pump. I have the standard 10mm. How do you put more fuel in?
Cheers

First Pooy
15th December 2018, 10:50 PM
Hey guys
Now I'm around to turning the fuel up on my fuel pump. I have the standard 10mm. How do you put more fuel in?
Cheers

You don't I had the same problem with my standard 10 mm pump with out a compansater you will get the attention from the cops with all the black soot coming out the back when you put your foot down and it is bad for the longevity of your motor that is if you want to do it right, I replaced my pump to do it the right way over fueling is not good to get power