PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

Rob Poynter
7th December 2018, 05:56 PM
Hello to all

Is all diesel the same one know all at work said BP is not the same as Caltex. I get my fuel from a BP that is in an industrial area ( I would think they have a high turn over )

Am I wrong all info would be great.

Regards Rob Poynter

GQtdauto
7th December 2018, 06:31 PM
I've heard the same thing but when on the road I tend to go where the truckies go .

Pete49
9th December 2018, 12:27 AM
We don't have refineries anymore so all comes from o/s to a terminal and trucked to the servos from there so all the same.
Just use the servos the truckies use for newest fuel.
Pete

PeeBee
9th December 2018, 04:04 AM
We have a fuel refinery at Geelong that processes crude. I understand BP used to add a combustion element that gave better ignition and power output - unsure if thats still the case considering it costs them to add it. I cant tell any difference in performance between one supplier and the next to be honest.

GQtdauto
9th December 2018, 07:22 AM
We don't have refineries anymore so all comes from o/s to a terminal and trucked to the servos from there so all the same.
Just use the servos the truckies use for newest fuel.
Pete

Amazingly enough we do still have some refineries in Oz .

https://aip.com.au/sites/default/files/download-files/2017-09/At%20a%20Glance%20Australian%20Oil%20Refineries.pd f

the evil twin
9th December 2018, 11:46 AM
We used to have a couple of process techs from the Kwinana Refinery in our club.
Kwinana is owned and operated by BP but supplies all Brands.
Some is shipped in, some refined on site, some blended.

FWIW they said Truck Diesel is Truck Diesel and Premium Diesel, the only difference between BP Ultimate and Caltex Vortex is at the final stage when it was split off so the "secret additives" are blended... primarily detergents.

IMHO the fuels are almost identical, if one was better than the other, the shitty one would be out of business in days... I certainly have never noticed any difference in my travels around WA and economy seems the same

Hodge
9th December 2018, 12:56 PM
I've also heard and be told numerous times the undercover detergent and additives in the BP Ultimate is better than any other... But better in what way? *shrug*
Always use Caltex Premium, just because I have several on majority en route of my daily travels. And always add a dash of fuel doctor.

the evil twin
9th December 2018, 01:17 PM
Hiya Hodge...

Yeah, I use BP (local) Caltex down the road when cheaper and either/or when touring or with work.

No additives in CRD engines but a dose of 2T in my Chevy.
I dose the Chevy 'cause it was old tech even back in the days when Diesel was made only on the full Moon by a Still after adding sacrificial virgins to the brew and fuel pmps were Bellows operated by slaves.

Hodge
9th December 2018, 05:23 PM
Hiya Hodge...

Yeah, I use BP (local) Caltex down the road when cheaper and either/or when touring or with work.

No additives in CRD engines but a dose of 2T in my Chevy.
I dose the Chevy 'cause it was old tech even back in the days when Diesel was made only on the full Moon by a Still after adding sacrificial virgins to the brew and fuel pmps were Bellows operated by slaves.

I have dropped my 2T intervals to every 3rd fill now. I've worked out, that 250ml every third fill, makes it just smooth enough... If i leave it any longer, it starts to regain the original TD ticka tacka ticka tacka ticka tacka..........

threedogs
13th December 2018, 02:23 PM
Diesel was $1.43 today so filled up both tanks thats a fair price
but should really be cheaper
campared to the price of a barrel of oil