PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself....

Gruntruck
25th May 2011, 06:14 AM
Hi,

Well, I've been wanting to buy a Nissan Patrol for years, always liked the look of them and especially fancied the SWB GQ. (GR SLX)
I've had just about every 4x4 going, I've been through the Landrover phase (living in the UK its unavoidable), the Landcrusiers are great too especially the 4.2TD VX but no magic there for me..., I finally got a Nissan Patrol and I'm chuffed to bits!
Its a '93 GR SLX, originally a 4.2 diesel but now changed to a 3.3 so its running a SD33 engine, to be honest I took a bit of a punt on it not knowing if it would be any good, but I guessed that it should be ok seeing as there is the 2.8 engine option in the same rig, so 3.3 is sort of in the middle...
As it goes she runs pretty good, and in the UK fuel prices are so high it was worth seeing if the smaller engine would make for better economy, I reckon it does.
Its got a 2" lift kit and big tyres.
She's my new best friend (that sounds sad), I'm intending to fix all the stuff that needs fixing and using her for running about doing a few jobs on the farm and for my work vehicle... so far so good.
Naturally there are one or too glitches...
Like, the Rev counter doesn't work, I'm guessing this is because the GQ4.2 gets its revs from the alternator, where as the SD3.3 alternator doesn't have the connection for it.
Can anyone tell me anything about that... ?

Is there anyone else out there with this type of conversion?
Or any advice or thoughts on the subject...

Anyway, its a great site, couldn't find one in the UK worth bothering with, looks like all the Patrols are being exported, which makes it hard to find any Patrol friends... its kind of cool that you don't see too many about on the roads over here... they don't know what they're missing eh! :1087:

growler2058
25th May 2011, 06:24 AM
Great intro mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of good info and advice

YNOT
25th May 2011, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Grun.

I have not heard of anyone doing that conversion here in Australia, our laws make it difficult to fit older model engines than what the vehicle originally came out with.

The TD42 has its tacho pick up sensor on the timing cover on the front of the engine, I'm not sure where or even if the SD33 has a tacho pick up sensor.

Tony

Dhuck
25th May 2011, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bigrig
25th May 2011, 07:18 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. First rate introduction mate and glad to see you've finally found the "fourbie of your dreams"!! lol

Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

molongmick
25th May 2011, 07:20 AM
Welcome aboard mate, all you need to do is ask a question and someone here will be able to answer it. Enjoy the Patrol it is a great vehicle.

Bob
25th May 2011, 07:38 AM
Welcome Mate. Join in and enjoy

Sir Roofy
25th May 2011, 08:43 AM
welcome aboard mate
great intro wonder if you have any pics you would like to share
of any trips

katwoman
25th May 2011, 09:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, mate. Enjoy your stay.

AB
25th May 2011, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

nowoolies
25th May 2011, 10:03 AM
g`day mate
welcome on board
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul
p:s piccies we luv piccies

snicko
25th May 2011, 12:32 PM
Welcome mate, loved the intro have a look around and join in - Enjoy

PS: as Paul said "we luv piccies"

Dark 1
25th May 2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome mate have a poke around & join in when your ready.

big_fletch
25th May 2011, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

Maxhead
25th May 2011, 08:35 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate...great intro by the way

wildgu6
25th May 2011, 08:53 PM
Hey buddy, Welcome aboard,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.
By the way Congrat's on the new rig buddy, you wont be sorry.

stay safe & Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

Finly Owner
25th May 2011, 09:37 PM
tacho meter sender, is located in between timer assembly cover and crankshaft pulley for SD33 motors

Tim

NissanGQ4.2
25th May 2011, 09:44 PM
Welcome 2 the forum,

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

Clunk
26th May 2011, 01:27 AM
g'day Grun and welcome aboard mate, where abouts in the Uk are ya from??? Apologies if you said already and I've missed it.

timbar
26th May 2011, 03:31 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

GUtsy ute
26th May 2011, 06:12 PM
Welcome Grun,
Sounds like your in for a bit of fun with your new rig.
Plenty of good advice to be had on here and don't forget some pics pls.

Cheers

DX grunt
28th May 2011, 11:17 AM
G’day mate

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here.

You must be a long lost cousin with a forum name like that. lol

Take care out there.

Rossco
DX grunt