PDA

View Full Version : What are good brand air intakes ?

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 02:23 PM
I am looking at a K&N air intake for my TD42 Gq it is 2nd hand for $250 but I can not contact K&N to see how much a new one is to see if it is a fair price

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2018, 02:40 PM
Do you mean a filter or an airbox? got a pic or a link mate

Bulbous
26th November 2018, 02:48 PM
I used to run a K&N, but now switched to AEM because they're dry and so much easier to maintain https://www.aemintakes.com/search/univcone.aspx.

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2018, 03:28 PM
I used to run a K&N, but now switched to AEM because they're dry and so much easier to maintain https://www.aemintakes.com/search/univcone.aspx.

Cool are you just chasing a Pod then? i ahve a couple of K&N Filters for a GU TD42 Airbox id be interested in selling as i have changed airboxes and have no further use.

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 05:07 PM
Do you mean a filter or an airbox? got a pic or a link mate

Here is what I was looking at

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 05:10 PM
How do you clean a K&N then ?

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2018, 05:44 PM
How do you clean a K&N then ?

With Detergent and water.

It's good to have 2 So you can swap them out without the need to give up the car for a few hours

Bidja
26th November 2018, 06:23 PM
$250 for air box in pic with pod filter is pretty good (in good condition?) but need 4" thru to be worthwhile. Looks like maybe offset pod filter or outlet pipe set off at angle. Get K&N 9"pod filter (straight flange) for $85-115. Bought K&N (KNRE-0890) today eBay $85.00.

Some more specifics on filter box type/design and pod type?

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 06:58 PM
I didn't know alot about it,I was asking questions but the guy got upset with them it is a 4 inch but now that you have pointed it out yes the out let from the box is on a 45 degree bend is the striaghter the better for air flow,he cliamed he got about 240 hp out of it

Bidja
26th November 2018, 07:14 PM
I didn't know alot about it,I was asking questions but the guy got upset with them it is a 4 inch but now that you have pointed it out yes the out let from the box is on a 45 degree bend is the striaghter the better for air flow,he cliamed he got about 240 hp out of it

The bend is fine, it looks like it provides for good flow. Rule of thumb good idea to have at least 30mm o/a clearance between filter pod outside profile to box internal faces and to not obstruct/causing restriction to the in flow (less obstruction the better. Did he give U a brand name? Does it come with serviceable pod filter?

240 hp require good flow, ask him why he is changing out.

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 07:34 PM
The brand is K&N,and yes it comes with the pod filter but before I could ask why he was selling it he got pissed of and basically said take it or leave it

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2018, 07:39 PM
Interesting that that pod is mounted towards the air so it filters from the inside out instead of outside in. Not sure whether that will effect its performance? Id have thought it will block sooner as any rubbish will sit inside the filter rather than the box. Leaf litter etc will ball up in the centre of that filter.

PeeBee
26th November 2018, 07:41 PM
Interesting that that pod is mounted towards the air so it filters from the inside out instead of outside in. Not sure whether that will effect its performance? Id have thought it will block sooner as any rubbish will sit inside the filter rather than the box. Leaf litter etc will ball up in the centre of that filter.

You are spot on, its incorrectly mounted from a coarse filtration perspective.

Bidja
26th November 2018, 08:00 PM
Yeah, it is hard to see from the pic but the pod I bought for mine today has the flange to mount to outlet spigot pipe (being larger filter dia at this point) and at the inlet end being smaller dia which is capped off so that the inlet air is circulated around o/s of pod and thru to inside core for filtration.

Bidja
26th November 2018, 08:09 PM
K&N 9" Pod Filter

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RE-0870

Bidja
26th November 2018, 08:27 PM
PeeBee and MudRunnerTD, pick up on a point that prompted me to have another look at your pic. If you cannot fit a 9" pod filter with the smaller dia (blanked off) facing toward the inlet side (snorkel end), as show in my pic, I would not buy it.

I received mine as illustrated in the mail today, new (with out filter) $340. Filter cost is $85=total $425. This guy is self employed boiler maker and does a good job (I am pleased). Yet to install as waiting for 4" snorkel. You can buy similar thru Fatz Fabrication $680.00 complete. Mine is not powder coated (not an issue for me, as it depends on how it works that matters).

Makes them for TDs and ZD

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 09:03 PM
Interesting stuff thanks for your comments guys

First Pooy
26th November 2018, 09:19 PM
I am about to drop 5300 hundred on a new pump and turbo and that is more then pushing the limits of my budget so can I temporarily just put a pod filter just off the turbo until I work out my air box I really need to get my intercooler pipes in and the standed bix is in the way

mudski
26th November 2018, 09:32 PM
With Detergent and water.

It's good to have 2 So you can swap them out without the need to give up the car for a few hours

Yeah thats what I do. Same with the catch can filter.

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2018, 10:44 PM
I am about to drop 5300 hundred on a new pump and turbo and that is more then pushing the limits of my budget so can I temporarily just put a pod filter just off the turbo until I work out my air box I really need to get my intercooler pipes in and the standed bix is in the way

It will work but not ideal as you will not be able to tune it like that or it'd be pointless tuning it like that i should say.

First Pooy
27th November 2018, 09:26 PM
Is this what I would need ? It says 4 inch on it so I would need to use a reducer76987

First Pooy
28th November 2018, 07:40 PM
How the hell am I suppose to fit anything there let alone 9 inches76991769927699376994

First Pooy
28th November 2018, 07:58 PM
And another 76996

Bidja
28th November 2018, 08:23 PM
Yeah, air box manufactures that I have come across are Fatz Fabrication, Radius Fabrication (Both do GU, not sure about GQ)_U will have to ask them.

Millweld do a GQ airbox
https://www.millweld.com/a/Airboxes
Check them out.

The bloke that made mine, makes for GU TD42T and ZDs. Maybe he can help out.

Some of your pics are 1Meg+ could resize down to under 200KB

Bidja
28th November 2018, 08:32 PM
By the way did not say U needed a 9" pod. Just pointed out which one I procured, it showed how the base of the pod was blanked off and suggested that U need the pod filter with the small end dia to be facing the inlet port of air box.

Hope it helps out mate.

First Pooy
30th November 2018, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the help it is going to be a bitch fight and I didn't want to do this until later but my intercooler piping is causing me trouble to get past the original ducting,it looks like I need to make up a smaller battery holder and muck around with a few other things as well