PDA

View Full Version : Native plants and their uses.

mudnut
25th November 2018, 07:38 PM
I have been interested in edible plants (weeds and native plants) for years but have never really studied them. I have found that most books provide small or not really clear pictures too. I have only recently learned that dried leaves of the dreaded Bidgee Widgee makes a pleasant substitute for tea.

So if you know of an easily identified plant that has proven food value, please share it with us.

VK2FMIA
25th November 2018, 09:10 PM
The flowers off a Prickly Pear are not too bad to eat, b@$tard to peel though.

mudnut
25th November 2018, 10:52 PM
The flowers off a Prickly Pear are not too bad to eat, b@$tard to peel though.

I forgot about them. It's been nearly 30 years since I tasted them. I found it to be like a seed laden watermelon.

Cuppa
27th November 2018, 08:22 PM
Stinging nettles boiled in water make a tasty spinach substitute. Boiling gets rid of the sting. Go for the leaves only unless constipated - including the stalks has a laxative effect. Used to eat these quite often back in the UK. Stinging nettles seem less 'abundant' here, but we have some in the garden in Ballarat & have eaten them.

mudnut
27th November 2018, 08:57 PM
Is there any harmful plant that can be easily mistaken for stinging nettle, Cuppa?

Rossco
27th November 2018, 09:07 PM
Tried making a stinging nettle tea once, wasn't too flash but [emoji6] . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cuppa
27th November 2018, 09:39 PM
Is there any harmful plant that can be easily mistaken for stinging nettle, Cuppa?

Don't think so.There are a few other types of nettle, but they are all edible. We also used to make tea from what were called deadnettles, they had white flowers which were quite sweet, & no sting. Not sure they are in Australia though. Was quite into it back in the day, the 'bible' was a book called 'Food for Free' by a bloke called Richard Maybey. (Try googling it, you never know he may have done an Aussie version sometime over the past 35 or so years!). He listed all UK edible plants, rated each one according to how palatable it was, & made preparation/cooking suggestions.

I recall chickweed was quite tasty raw in salads.

Don't bother with Dandelion root coffee - it's disgusting!

Plasnart
27th November 2018, 10:07 PM
Don't ever attempt the Pig Melon. I broke one open once and taste licked it. Immediately ceased and spat hard!

I think this is the right link to the plant. Common in northern Aus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrullus_colocynthis