PDA

View Full Version : iPad moulded to Centre Facier

Wilkie_4x4
23rd November 2018, 10:25 AM
Hi All,

Over the last two weeks I have been experimenting with putting an IPad into my mates GQ.

I have made it so you will be able to dock the iPad and charge when in car as well as being able to use it outside of car.

I had to relocate the Air con unit and move the single din head deck a little lower.

Parts needed;

Second hand Centre Facier ( so you don’t destroy the original )
iPad Air 2 ( or IPad of your choice )
3mm Acryllic plastic
Fibreglass matting
Fibreglass catalyst
Fibreglass Mould Release
Painters tape
Alfoil
Masking tape
Epoxy glue / Super glue
Septone car filler
Wet and dry sand paper ( 180/320/800/1200 )
Your choice of primer, paint and clear

Cremulator
23rd November 2018, 10:47 AM
I'm interested to see how this comes together. Not that I have a GQ, but I love these kinds of different DIY projects.
Keep us updated on your progress!

GQtdauto
23rd November 2018, 11:54 AM
Photos mate ,any photos ?

Wilkie_4x4
23rd November 2018, 12:15 PM
Photos mate ,any photos ?

First time on forum trying to figure this out now.

Fireblade
23rd November 2018, 01:40 PM

clicl the little icon that i put an arrow to. then a small pop up window appears then choose file on your computer and click upload

Wilkie_4x4
23rd November 2018, 09:55 PM

clicl the little icon that i put an arrow to. then a small pop up window appears then choose file on your computer and click upload

Thanks, was playing with this for a while on my iphone just wasn't happening. Doing it now on laptop.

Wilkie_4x4
23rd November 2018, 10:12 PM
Created the mould by covering ipad in alfoil layering it in painters tape then smearing mould release over the top. Waited a couple of hours and released the ipad from the mould.

Test fitted on dash where i wanted it then trimmed the dash down to suit, used epoxy glue to hold it in place and trimmed off the excess fibreglass.

Used car filler to create the shape and sanded for a week added primer then sanded some more and repeated.

76936769337693076927769377693476931769287692576935 769327692976926

GQtdauto
24th November 2018, 07:07 AM
Geez that's dedication very well done , a mate of my son has an industrial sized 3D printer and I bet he'd love to get his hands on that prototype to copy it .

Wilkie_4x4
24th November 2018, 08:56 AM
Geez that's dedication very well done , a mate of my son has an industrial sized 3D printer and I bet he'd love to get his hands on that prototype to copy it .

Thanks mate, a lot of hours in this little project!
I’m sure we could come to an arrangement if he wanted to ��

PeeBee
24th November 2018, 12:44 PM
Wilke 4x4 you are a very clever guy, brilliant result.

Brissieboy
26th November 2018, 12:01 PM
Kinda makes my little project fade in comparison.
Wanted somewhere to mount a small meter without making holes in existing panels, so ended up making this.
Its 3D printed and fits in place of the blanking panel in the overhead console.76963

Wilkie_4x4
26th November 2018, 06:36 PM
It shouldn't mate, any project large or small is great practice! I'm no expert or even close to it... if you apply a bit more body work to it and sand you'll be apples!
Love where your switches are. Great spot.

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2018, 08:56 PM
Thats awesome. I have a bit of OCD though and not being centered would shit me to tears. Small things. Why didnt you centre it?

Also what are you doing about the heater controls?

Wilkie_4x4
1st December 2018, 09:49 AM
Thats awesome. I have a bit of OCD though and not being centered would shit me to tears. Small things. Why didnt you centre it?

Also what are you doing about the heater controls?

Hey mate, in a way it is you just can't see it. The iPad mould was made so i can slide it in and out. You should be able to see it in the mould picture as to what i mean.

What do you mean about the heater controls? Hopefully be trying to mount this today after i the resin drys and i touch it up a bit.

MudRunnerTD
1st December 2018, 02:31 PM
Hey mate, in a way it is you just can't see it. The iPad mould was made so i can slide it in and out. You should be able to see it in the mould picture as to what i mean.

What do you mean about the heater controls? Hopefully be trying to mount this today after i the resin drys and i touch it up a bit.

Cheers mate, sorry i missed the pic showing you moved the heater controls to where the stereo would normally go.

What will you do for music? Through the ipad straight to an amp or something?

Great job mate

Wilkie_4x4
3rd December 2018, 05:42 PM
All good... Bluetooth to the single din head deck to amp / speakers.

Tried test fit on weekend and need to modify a couple of things.

Will update as I go.

Wilkie_4x4
17th December 2018, 01:13 PM
Was able to get a little more done on the weekend after needing to redo the bottom bit as measurements were off... :/
Mounted the Air con unit where I need it to go.

Now just to glue it in place sand / paint / repeat...

Hoping to have this complete this week installed and working

Wilkie_4x4
17th December 2018, 08:35 PM
Got the mounting points sorted this afternoon!
Bracing was used to make mounting points.

Here’s where it’s at so far...

Wilkie_4x4
14th January 2019, 11:44 AM
Finally got the Air Con Unit in the spot needed, had to shorten the cable to it though and drill a hole for the wire to pass through so it didn't restrict the movement.
pulled apart a usb car charger and wire it up to be permanently sitting behind the Ipad on and wired on ACC.
Ill probably be redoing the shroud around the CD player, air con unit and cut out the holes for the rocker switches.

Video below showing it installed and fully functional.

https://youtu.be/TW_Xx_abJcY

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2019, 04:45 PM
Finally got the Air Con Unit in the spot needed, had to shorten the cable to it though and drill a hole for the wire to pass through so it didn't restrict the movement.
pulled apart a usb car charger and wire it up to be permanently sitting behind the Ipad on and wired on ACC.
Ill probably be redoing the shroud around the CD player, air con unit and cut out the holes for the rocker switches.

Video below showing it installed and fully functional.

https://youtu.be/TW_Xx_abJcY

i use an ipad while touring for my Hema. unless this will be your daily driver and the iPad is constantly charged i would consider rewiring that usb to be on constant charge from the battery , fused it would be fine and the draw would be negligible. nothing worse than getting in your car and having to wait for the ipad to charge before you can use it.

Wilkie_4x4
14th January 2019, 04:55 PM
i use an ipad while touring for my Hema. unless this will be your daily driver and the iPad is constantly charged i would consider rewiring that usb to be on constant charge from the battery , fused it would be fine and the draw would be negligible. nothing worse than getting in your car and having to wait for the ipad to charge before you can use it.

Completely agree, i've wired it to the 2.1a usb for quick charge. Will see how it goes. If it doesn't charge enough ill be wiring it to constant 12v.

Wilkie_4x4
21st January 2019, 04:16 PM
Quick update, had to make custom brackets to suit the location. Pictures below.

Wilkie_4x4
13th January 2021, 04:01 PM
Forgot to upload the prototype 1 of the build. Will be attempting another with a different approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhOR4YSG6NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW_Xx_abJcY