PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

ryan-285
24th May 2011, 11:01 PM
Hey guys
I was wonderin what everyone recomends exhaustwise and if it is worth it to put a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with extractors on a standard TD42 non turbo???

Bigrig
24th May 2011, 11:04 PM
Hey guys
I was wonderin what everyone recomends exhaustwise and if it is worth it to put a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with extractors on a standard TD42 non turbo???

Always a good thing to open them up, but do you intend to put a turbo on it at some stage?? If so, I'd go bigger. Not sure of the benefits of a 2.5" exhaust on a standard diesel (cost versus return on power etc?).

ryan-285
24th May 2011, 11:09 PM
Always a good thing to open them up, but do you intend to put a turbo on it at some stage?? If so, I'd go bigger. Not sure of the benefits of a 2.5" exhaust on a standard diesel (cost versus return on power etc?).

yea im not sure at this piont in time. i would like to but still not sure

Bigrig
24th May 2011, 11:17 PM
yea im not sure at this piont in time. i would like to but still not sure

Think you should look a bit bigger mate just in case you decide you want to in the future - won't hurt doing it now (cost increase is small) and it opens up what you can do down the track.

Good luck with the decision - no doubt others with diesels will be along to comment on what they've done!!

ryan-285
24th May 2011, 11:32 PM
Think you should look a bit bigger mate just in case you decide you want to in the future - won't hurt doing it now (cost increase is small) and it opens up what you can do down the track.

Good luck with the decision - no doubt others with diesels will be along to comment on what they've done!!

thanks mate

Ade
25th May 2011, 01:30 AM
Mines is 3'' straight through with removable muffler set up (flanges on both side of the mufflers'). This way I can easily remove my muffler-show off mode (usually when theres a 4x4 events etc) or with muffler-long distance mode (family's trip). But its your call..

growler2058
25th May 2011, 06:21 AM
Mate glad you asked this question i'm in the same boat! need to upgrade very soon but not ready to turbo yet. I rang up an exhaust place a while back and they said a 3" would be quite loud without the turbo????? Does a turbo quieten em down????? Tony HELP!!!!!

YNOT
25th May 2011, 07:14 AM
On a TD42 non turbo motor 2.5" is all you need, anything bigger is overkill. That said if you intend to fit a turbo later then 2.75" or 3" would be better.
Extractors on a non turbo motor will make a noticable difference to power but will need to be removed to fit a turbo.
Turbo's do take some of the bark out of an exhaust sound, something to do with the turbine wheel cutting through the exhaust gasses I think.

Tony

growler2058
25th May 2011, 07:28 AM
On a TD42 non turbo motor 2.5" is all you need, anything bigger is overkill. That said if you intend to fit a turbo later then 2.75" or 3" would be better.
Extractors on a non turbo motor will make a noticable difference to power but will need to be removed to fit a turbo.
Turbo's do take some of the bark out of an exhaust sound, something to do with the turbine wheel cutting through the exhaust gasses I think.

Tony

Cheers Tony

Ben-e-boy
25th May 2011, 06:47 PM
Hey guys

Yes its a good thing!! its worth doing. I had a 2.5 inch exhaust and extractors on mine. It went well. I also got a good air filter and got a pump tune. it made a noticeable difference

ryan-285
25th May 2011, 06:59 PM
thanks everyone for the advice