PDA

View Full Version : TD 42 trouble starting

bandjo
6th November 2018, 04:24 PM
Hi All,

I've got a 1994 with a recently rebuilt engine.

with around 6000 ks on the new engine

Just recently I started having issues when starting.

When cold the engine starts more or less as normal. Turn on the ignition, lights on the dash come on including glow plugs lights go out turn the key engine starts on the first or second go.

if I do a few short trips then it struggles to start. led me to thinking Alternator but the charge rate from the alternator is good.

I've also checked the battery and the glow plugs both are good

Once started it runs normally so I don't think fuel starvation is an issue,

leaving the starter motor.

seems to crank normally

Any ideas?

GQtdauto
6th November 2018, 05:52 PM
Mine is the same and the mechanic reckons starter

AB
6th November 2018, 06:27 PM
When it doesn't want to start does the engine turnover or nothing at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nipagu7
6th November 2018, 09:28 PM
perhaps air in the fuel line ? when you think it might have trouble starting , first try pumping the fuel primer before trying to start the car .

Tip12345
7th November 2018, 09:41 AM
job one check the compression .. have had a few that run out of compression and only new reco....

bandjo
22nd December 2018, 11:55 AM
Hi AB thanks for your response and sorry for taking so long to respond.
the engine turns over and starts eventually.

bandjo
22nd December 2018, 11:59 AM
Hi Tip 12345

I'm thinking compression may be a contributor its a new engine with around 8000 ks on it. Could it be to much compression combined with tight clearances and a weak starter motor

bandjo
22nd December 2018, 12:00 PM
tried that all good.

bandjo
22nd December 2018, 12:01 PM
Hi GQtdauto.

glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Let me know how you go

GQtdauto
22nd December 2018, 02:02 PM
On mine it's not fuel related , I thought it might have been the pos battery connection but no difference either , I've tried cranking off the three batteries but makes no difference , but just remembered another vehicle I had that did the same thing and it was starter motor on that .
Something to do with heat and the fact it was old so now I'll check to see if my starter is a normal TD4.2 one or different being an auto , I've heard they are three bolt not two but need to check .

nipagu7
23rd December 2018, 12:46 PM
Loose , dirty/corroded connections at the starter motor . i have come across this a few times especially on commodores

cairns gu
26th December 2018, 05:22 PM
my money's on the starter motor. Especially if it's the original item from new. Happened to mine, replaced it with a cheapie off ebay, bit of a pain but managed alright and solved the issue.