PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this Patrol?

MrAwesomer27
22nd October 2018, 11:02 AM
Hey just wondering on your guys' thoughts.

I've found a 1993 GQ Patrol TI with a tb42e engine and 320,000k's. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/stoters-hill/cars-vans-utes/91-gq-patrol-innisfail/1198031338

I went and had a look at it, the inside door trims are missing, seats are ripped, there was oil around radiator under engine block, on top of diff and around front brakes. After jump starting it, the engine sounds good, no knocks, no visible radiator leaks, all fluids were fine except the owner mentioned it needs steering fluid, engine was reconditioned in 2014 and I couldn't find a spot of rust.

So it'll need new seats, door trims, battery and steering fluid.

Rossco
22nd October 2018, 01:37 PM
She needs a bit of work but rust free is a big bonus. Price seems about right would be a good little project, give it some love and should come up alright.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudnut
22nd October 2018, 05:38 PM
Give it a compression test and cooling system pressure test. If they are ok and If you can score another interior for cheap, then go for it

MrAwesomer27
3rd November 2018, 09:54 PM
I bought it for $1000, and drove it an hour home, it was all good.

Avo
5th November 2018, 12:28 AM
I bought it for $1000, and drove it an hour home, it was all good.
76802Hey matey...instead of steering fluid as a need..download the manual...i rebuilt mine in a coiple of hours...easy as....no more oil n cheap to fix....congrats on 5he new 4b to hwy

MrAwesomer27
5th November 2018, 12:34 AM
Hey matey...instead of steering fluid as a need..download the manual...i rebuilt mine in a coiple of hours...easy as....no more oil n cheap to fix....congrats on 5he new 4b to hwy

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkI've downloaded the service manual, do you mean rebuild the power steering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Avo
5th November 2018, 12:43 AM
I've downloaded the service manual, do you mean rebuild the power steering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TapatalkYeah if it is leaking oil...it is an easy fix

MrAwesomer27
12th November 2018, 01:02 PM
Yeah if it is leaking oil...it is an easy fix

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkTurns out it was bad hose clamps and split lines, so I replaced hose clamps and cut the line shorter. Now it doesn't feel like I'm steering a ship.7684476845

MrAwesomer27
27th December 2018, 09:38 PM
Turns out the problem is still there, it keeps blowing clamps and it's split two hoses. Any ideas, the Power Steering works for a bit then it blows and all the fluid leaks out.

Plasnart
27th December 2018, 09:46 PM
Buy new lines? Cutting and reclamping old split lines doesnt surprise they split again.

PeeBee
27th December 2018, 09:46 PM
Check the hose or pipes are not blocked. There should be a pressure relief valve in the circuit, maybe thats the culprit, as the pump can be heard going over the relief if you turn the wheel to hard lock - this would tell you if the relief is working or not. I think these systems run at around the 1500-1800psi - big pressure for a tiny hose clamp. Check the hose is correctly rated for the duty and if its the pressure side of the pump, consult the manual to see if the connections should be crimped or similar.

mudnut
28th December 2018, 01:10 AM
Check the hose or pipes are not blocked. There should be a pressure relief valve in the circuit, maybe thats the culprit, as the pump can be heard going over the relief if you turn the wheel to hard lock - this would tell you if the relief is working or not. I think these systems run at around the 1500-1800psi - big pressure for a tiny hose clamp. Check the hose is correctly rated for the duty and if its the pressure side of the pump, consult the manual to see if the connections should be crimped or similar.

On my '94 high pressure line from the pump to the steering gear is properly rated high pressure hose and is professionally crimped. The return line to the reservoir and the suction side to the pump are only clamped by the screw type hose clamps. The suction hose is a larger diameter hose than the return line to the reservoir.

MrAwesomer27
29th December 2018, 08:51 PM
The line that is splitting is the smaller diameter hose, I did buy new hose from SCA and that split, so maybe I need rated hose for return line?

PeeBee
29th December 2018, 09:00 PM
The line that is splitting is the smaller diameter hose, I did buy new hose from SCA and that split, so maybe I need rated hose for return line?

With the engine running, and the steering wheel at either of the full lock positions, can you hear the relief valve in operation - its distinctive, like a metallic buzzing sound? What you are telling us is the pressure line is splitting, and you have replaced it from Supercheap? The pressure line would normally have crimped fittings to cope with the high pressure, not hose clamps, but if the hose is splitting you have obviously go enough grip on the hose.The return line would be bigger to allow for a reduced pressure in the system, so its unlikely this is the problem in my opinion.

MrAwesomer27
29th December 2018, 09:03 PM
With the engine running, and the steering wheel at either of the full lock positions, can you hear the relief valve in operation - its distinctive, like a metallic buzzing sound? What you are telling us is the pressure line is splitting, and you have replaced it from Supercheap? The pressure line would normally have crimped fittings to cope with the high pressure, not hose clamps, but if the hose is splitting you have obviously go enough grip on the hose.The return line would be bigger to allow for a reduced pressure in the system, so its unlikely this is the problem in my opinion.Any idea where I would get high pressure hose from or where to get it crimped?

PeeBee
29th December 2018, 09:08 PM
Any idea where I would get high pressure hose from or where to get it crimped?

I am trying to help you get to the source of the problem. You need to rule out that the pressure relief valve is not faulty, hence why I am asking about the noise on full lock. If the valve is not operating, you may be developing more pressure than the hoses can withstand. For hoses with crimped ends, head to the likes of ENZED or PIRTEK, but I would be ruling out the pressure relief first. Are you able to put a pressure gauge on a TEE into the pressure line to measure the pressure, then compare it to the manual specs?

MrAwesomer27
29th December 2018, 09:14 PM
I am trying to help you get to the source of the problem. You need to rule out that the pressure relief valve is not faulty, hence why I am asking about the noise on full lock. If the valve is not operating, you may be developing more pressure than the hoses can withstand. For hoses with crimped ends, head to the likes of ENZED or PIRTEK, but I would be ruling out the pressure relief first. Are you able to put a pressure gauge on a TEE into the pressure line to measure the pressure, then compare it to the manual specs?Oh sorry, yeah it does make a sound when on full lock, also it usually blows on full lock. I don't know of anyone with pressure gauge.

PeeBee
29th December 2018, 10:29 PM
Ok I am thinking the valve is not able to unload the pressure or your pump pressure is too high. I don't know if it is adjustable or not.

MrAwesomer27
29th January 2019, 04:57 PM
Ok I am thinking the valve is not able to unload the pressure or your pump pressure is too high. I don't know if it is adjustable or not.I got the pressure section of the line professionally made up, and I've had no leaks so far.77776