PDA

View Full Version : First 4X4 Adventures

James9625
4th October 2018, 10:25 PM
Hey all James here, very excited to do lots of reading on this site!

I bought my first 4X4 2001 Nissan Patrol series 2 GU 3L turbo diesel and I'm stoked with it so far only had it a couple weeks.
My plan is to do some touring locally for starters but my end goal is to travel to central Australia the Kimberlys and Cape York, to name a couple of bigger trips.

I guess I have a few questions to start with and would love to hear and see what you guys are doing with your patrols!

Firstly what sort of draws are you running in the back? I have ordered a fridge and I'm installing dual batteries (any tips or things I should do whilst installing please say I am confident doing all the wiring more so in relation to extra outlets brands of batteries mounts in the engine bay and whether it is worth going for a ctek charger?)

What are your most important mods for Engine/chassis? (bash plates exhausts gauges? heard lots about it don't know much at all)

What are your most important accessories? (awnings fridges lights?)

That should be enough to keep me going for a little while! Looking forward to hearing back from all of you and can't wait to start building up my own car.

MB
5th October 2018, 06:54 AM
Welcome aboard James mate and congratulations on your new truck!
There are many very informative threads throughout this great forum on all sorts of topics for your needs above.
Personally I’d be focusing firstly on NADS engine protection and good recovery gear like a winch etc....for your upcoming adventures.
Have fun, stay safe mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhuck
5th October 2018, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Hodge
5th October 2018, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the forum James.
Enjoy mate..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Cuppa
5th October 2018, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Travel dreams can't be beat.

Check out my old & current blogs (links below) to whet your appetite. Previously travelled around Oz in a bus & have now been travelling in our Patrol (& Tvan) for the past 15 months or so. Currently north of Broome, up the top of the Dampier Peninsula.

GQtdauto
5th October 2018, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the forum

4bye4
5th October 2018, 01:19 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum. As others said, NADS is first thing and that will include a vacuum and EGT guage. Often a good idea to install these first so you can see what the engine is doing, then see the changes after NADS. Thre is tons of info in NADS here.

AB
5th October 2018, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

neet_wagon
11th October 2018, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the forum mate :smiley_thumbs_up: