PDA

View Full Version : New memeber with a SWB GQ!!

baxy
21st May 2011, 09:38 PM
hey guys,

thanks for having a great forum..

I am an avid Patrol owner and lover and my current truck is a SWB Turbo Diesel GQ with 5 link front end running 35's.

Will post some pics this weekend.

Go the shorties!!!

Baxy

Finly Owner
21st May 2011, 09:39 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Baxy

Tim

NissanGQ4.2
21st May 2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Baxy,

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

Clunk
21st May 2011, 09:49 PM
G'day Baxy and welcome aboard mate

Bigrig
21st May 2011, 09:54 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

Where are you based mate??

chester
21st May 2011, 10:22 PM
G'day mate welcome won't find a greater and more friendly bunch of people than on here.

DX grunt
21st May 2011, 10:26 PM
G'day Baxy.

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you onboard.

Take care out there.

Rossco
DX grunt

timbar
21st May 2011, 10:31 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Maxhead
21st May 2011, 11:00 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

big_fletch
21st May 2011, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

snicko
22nd May 2011, 12:25 AM
Welcome Mate to a great forum. Plenty of good advise here - Enjoy

growler2058
22nd May 2011, 06:36 AM
G'day Baxy they're a good mob here full of good I to and advice

AB
22nd May 2011, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Baxy, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Love the shortys mate, look forward to the pics.

Dhuck
22nd May 2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bob
22nd May 2011, 11:39 AM
Welcome Mate. Join in and enjoy

Dark 1
22nd May 2011, 07:41 PM
Welcome mate have a poke around & join in when your ready.

baxy
23rd May 2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies....

I am based on the northshore in Sydney and regularly go wheelin in the wattos so all welcome.

Will post up next trip details

fixer982
23rd May 2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forum. YOu will find lots of useful stuff here and a friendly bunch of Patrolites as well.

HippoNZ
23rd May 2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome aboard mate, a bunch of good sorts here, looking forward to those piccies!

Sir Roofy
23rd May 2011, 08:10 PM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

wildgu6
23rd May 2011, 10:52 PM
G'day buddy,Good to have you onboard,
Surf around and dont be shy,Good luck and Enjoy the ride.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

baxy
27th June 2011, 05:37 PM
Well finally had some time to get back on the forum...

Went up to the wattos 2 weeks ago and decided to do a night run in drizzling rain....

Was never going to end well with a 37 rolled off the rim, did the old deodarant trick to pop it back on!!

Scariest moment for me was a track I have done many times that was very slippery clay and rocks, my shorty kicked left half way up the slope and the right front wheel
went skyward....jammed it in reverse and bounced backwards down the slope with my front wheels not touching terra firma again till the bottom.

My poor navi had a little bit of wee come out and promptly decided to sell his hilux once we got back to Sydney and buy a falcon ute instead!!

Anyway no harm done and the shorty lives to fight another day and didnt miss a beat all trip unlike the petrol GQ and a GU ute TD42..

I finally have some pics to put up and have almost got the shorty to where I want it...just contemplating going 33's instead of 35's and taking the bodylift out..

Now that the rain has cleared will start the process of putting the GU diffs and steering box under it..

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/baxy_03/WhiteSWB005.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/baxy_03/WhiteSWB004.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/baxy_03/WhiteSWB001.jpg

Bigrig
27th June 2011, 05:42 PM
sounds like you had an awesome trip!!! Why are you thinking of going back to 33's and taking out the body lift?? Everyone (dhuck) is on my back (dhuck) to get 35's (dhuck) put on mine (dhuck), but I don't reckon I need them ... by the way, it was dhuck ... lmfao!!!

Love the shorty mate!!!

patch697
27th June 2011, 05:53 PM
Love your shorty mate & teh trip sounded like fun but I have to ask..... Why you thinking of going down in tyre size & taking out the body lift?

Im not say don't I just like to know your reasons as to why as it may help others in deciding whether or not its the mod for them...

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Paul

baxy
27th June 2011, 06:39 PM
I have always run 35's or 37's on my lwb GQ's but after driving a NA Diesel SWB on 33's I reckon the increase in grunt and driveability outweighs the ground clearance offered by 35's..

Dont get me wrong I love the look and ground clearance of the 35's but I have had a GQ lwb on 33's once and I drove all the tracks the bigger trucks did.

As far as the body lifts go I dont like the extra stress put on the body and have had to weld up several cracks in the body.

The plan is to go 33's, GU diffs with 3 inch flexy coils and 5 inch shocks. Running extended bumpstops will allow the longer shocks...

Should still look pretty serious but have some serious droop and drive easily at high speeds..
Should help with my intended high country trip in Feb, might still hide the old 35's up the back in case they are needed!!!

patch697
27th June 2011, 07:49 PM
I have always run 35's or 37's on my lwb GQ's but after driving a NA Diesel SWB on 33's I reckon the increase in grunt and driveability outweighs the ground clearance offered by 35's..

Dont get me wrong I love the look and ground clearance of the 35's but I have had a GQ lwb on 33's once and I drove all the tracks the bigger trucks did.

As far as the body lifts go I dont like the extra stress put on the body and have had to weld up several cracks in the body.

The plan is to go 33's, GU diffs with 3 inch flexy coils and 5 inch shocks. Running extended bumpstops will allow the longer shocks...

Should still look pretty serious but have some serious droop and drive easily at high speeds..
Should help with my intended high country trip in Feb, might still hide the old 35's up the back in case they are needed!!!

Thanks for the reply as my sure it will help others planning to do this mod.

Cheers
Paul

Clunk
28th June 2011, 01:42 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard

fixer982
28th June 2011, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the forum, Baxy. I hope you enjoy your time here. Good looking rig, even if it is a GQ.