PDA

View Full Version : Post a pic of your gq set up at camp

Brodie tas
11th September 2018, 10:23 PM
Looking for some ideas for camping with my patrol so if anyone can share some pictures would be great

Thanks

Reddave
12th September 2018, 08:16 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/75.jpg (https://ibb.co/hoTT5U)

What sort of pics you after? This is my awning and tent setup in my backyard

AB
12th September 2018, 08:24 PM
A simple quick set up I use on solo trips works well by mounting sail track extrusion onto the roof rack and slide on a sail track tarp for quick awning for a swag without having a permanent awning mounted to your patrol.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/76.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
12th September 2018, 09:54 PM
Also doubles as a gas chamber I hear!!!!

Clunk
12th September 2018, 10:09 PM
Tent and swag on one side, cooking on the otherhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/79.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/80.jpg

Brodie tas
12th September 2018, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys and good setups! Im at a bit of a cross road to how i want the patrol set up, i love our double swag but the misses prefers the roof top tent thats on my other 4wd but also having a 4yo son that sleeps with us when camping i have been thinking of buying one of those turbo tents. They all have there postive and negatives, the thing i like about the roof top tent is the room underneath great for storage and getting changed or using the toilet but i dont like it when its wet and trying to dry it out, the swag is great for cold trips when we go to the lakes for a fish much warmer then the rooftop tent,

Clunk
13th September 2018, 12:08 AM
My usual setup for the 5 of us.
I used to think about getting a rooftop tent but the thought of having to pack it all up if I wanted to go for a drive anywhere put me off.
I use that shelter for longer stays and we also have an Oztrail Gazebo for shorter ones.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/83.jpg

Avo
13th September 2018, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys and good setups! Im at a bit of a cross road to how i want the patrol set up, i love our double swag but the misses prefers the roof top tent thats on my other 4wd but also having a 4yo son that sleeps with us when camping i have been thinking of buying one of those turbo tents. They all have there postive and negatives, the thing i like about the roof top tent is the room underneath great for storage and getting changed or using the toilet but i dont like it when its wet and trying to dry it out, the swag is great for cold trips when we go to the lakes for a fish much warmer then the rooftop tent,Hwy mate if you thinkijg of a turbo tent oztent have a 50% sale on atm... sometgung simular to the turbo 300 is out for 699 bargin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brodie tas
13th September 2018, 07:33 PM
Hwy mate if you thinkijg of a turbo tent oztent have a 50% sale on atm... sometgung simular to the turbo 300 is out for 699 bargin

Yeah i will check them out i reckon i will just out my roof top tent on my trailer then it can be left behind and when doing some 4wd yrips put it 0n the patrol.

Rossco
14th September 2018, 01:32 PM
Also copied AB idea of using track rail for an awning with a velcro bit for the back to join together. Works well pretty easy to put up defiantly easier with a helper didn't like the idea of bulky foxwing style hanging off the side all the time this thing just goes under the seat. . .

Throbbinhood
14th September 2018, 03:14 PM
Rossco AB do you guys have any more pics/info on this sail track extrusion and tarp? I googled the extrusion looks great, are their tarps with it inbuilt? Would be great, 3 tarps 6 poles couple of ropes would give you a heap of cover.

I don't have roof racks but could just bolt the extrusion to the guttering maybe

mudnut
14th September 2018, 03:20 PM
If I go somewhere without the family, I sometimes set the 3X3 pergola up and park the Old Trol with rear doors under cover. If the weather isn't so good, I have a few tarps that can be hung up and pegged down for walls.

Rossco
14th September 2018, 06:12 PM
Rossco AB do you guys have any more pics/info on this sail track extrusion and tarp? I googled the extrusion looks great, are their tarps with it inbuilt? Would be great, 3 tarps 6 poles couple of ropes would give you a heap of cover.

I don't have roof racks but could just bolt the extrusion to the guttering maybeHaven't got the car at the moment but just bolted the rail to the rack, got it in black powder coat too so don't even notice it. Got the awning made up at southern cross canvas then just grabbed some supa-peg poles & ropes. Used the twist lock ally ones with some along the outer edge to keep it all taught. Could get some velcro bits stitched in to secure these together i reckon.

If you haven't got a rack could use some minimal roof bars or secure straight to gutter if your gutsy enough to drill into the car lol. .

MB TD42
15th September 2018, 11:08 AM
Havnt got many with the GQ as only had it 9 months but here is one from the base camp for Avon Decent support Unit out near Toodyay
and a couple from the annual Lake Brockman trip.

Base camp

Lake Brockman

rusty_nail
15th September 2018, 08:39 PM
Our setup when we toured tassiehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/93.jpg

rusty_nail
15th September 2018, 08:46 PM
This is our extension. Homemade camperhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/94.jpg

BSRT.Beast
16th September 2018, 06:14 PM
Set up last year we also had a budget wing awning which we didn't use(wont recommend going cheap).

Our set up has been evolving a lot and will be on in 11 days.

Brodie tas
17th September 2018, 06:53 PM
Do you find there is much more fuel usage with the roof top tent? With my other 4wd its on at the moment i dont notice anything but it sits a bit lower over my tub

rusty_nail
17th September 2018, 07:16 PM
Do you find there is much more fuel usage with the roof top tent? With my other 4wd its on at the moment i dont notice anything but it sits a bit lower over my tubWe drove around Tassie for a week with it, covering most of the island. Didn't notice any real difference with the fuel economy.

BSRT.Beast
17th September 2018, 08:21 PM
Do you find there is much more fuel usage with the roof top tent? With my other 4wd its on at the moment i dont notice anything but it sits a bit lower over my tub

Mine was a shit box ready to go bang (and it did) RD28 so economy wasn't great anyway.

HigginsGQ
15th October 2018, 10:44 AM

HigginsGQ
15th October 2018, 10:48 AM

Yeah i found my old td42 N/A to use about 2L/100 extra but i got all that and some back when i turbo'd it. now im getting 14L/100 at 110 with the ac on

GQtdauto
15th October 2018, 11:33 AM
Yeah i found my old td42 N/A to use about 2L/100 extra but i got all that and some back when i turbo'd it. now im getting 14L/100 at 110 with the ac on

Geez I'm close to double those figures .

Brodie tas
30th October 2018, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the pictures everyone after a lot of thinking about our camping setups im just going to build a rack over my trailer for the roof top tent and awning, for me 99% of the time when we go camping we stay in the one spot but like to be able to drive of to different fishing spots and cut wood etc plus having it set up on the trailer wont matter what car i take, just a few tool boxes to slide in with all the camping gear to keep it simple because one thing i have learnt with our camping experiences simple is best

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Cuppa
31st October 2018, 02:39 PM
As a basic, simple & cheap camping set up I rather like this!

Also, much as I hate to admit it, looking at some of the GQ pics in this thread I am reminded of how much better looking the GQ is compared to a GU.

Throbbinhood
31st October 2018, 03:25 PM

Also, much as I hate to admit it, looking at some of the GQ pics in this thread I am reminded of how much better looking the GQ is compared to a GU.

that rear bar is interesting haha

HigginsGQ
1st November 2018, 10:49 AM
that rear bar is interesting haha

It goes alright for a few arvos mucking around, bit on the rugged side but iv had the full weight on it a few times now with no panel damage lol
Looks a bit tidier with a coat of paint on it

Throbbinhood
1st November 2018, 04:43 PM
It goes alright for a few arvos mucking around, bit on the rugged side but iv had the full weight on it a few times now with no panel damage lol
Looks a bit tidier with a coat of paint on it

that angle is heaps better, looks mint there. couldn't see it was swing aways before so thought you just ran out of steel and left it haha

Brodie tas
1st November 2018, 09:47 PM

Also, much as I hate to admit it, looking at some of the GQ pics in this thread I am reminded of how much better looking the GQ is compared to a GU.Yeah he has done a great job there

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk